3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Group 31 Batteries Installed!!!! (Pics Included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1985cucv
i was planning on doing this to mine but didnt think they would fit!

does it crank over a lot faster? i did this to my first gen when i first got it and the thing would crank over like it was the energizer bunny

Warm, don't notice anything different. This morning, 25* cold start, no block heater, no waiting for start light to go out............just as a test for the new batteries..............now thats when I noticed a huge difference!!!!!! Fast doesn't seem a good enough word, more like instant start!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:41 AM

Thanx for the response on the batt. size.

JIm
Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Warm, don't notice anything different. This morning, 25* cold start, no block heater, no waiting for start light to go out............just as a test for the new batteries..............now thats when I noticed a huge difference!!!!!! Fast doesn't seem a good enough word, more like instant start!!!!!!!
If I remember the grid heater/ wait to start is a timed thing per temp and should not change. If the engine is warm then the senser will turn it off faster.
I went with som Auto zone golds for 85$ a year ago and they act the same as the stock ones. Crank fine in VA a few weeks back no plug for the heater at about 8-10* outside.

I see no reason for paying $$ for the batterys and doing any mods to cables or time when an off the shelf will fit and work. I also ran an inverter for a few hrs that night, plus a 12 camping light for 6 hrs. Its one of the green fishing lights but is works great camping.

BTW the stock ones lasted 6+ years and about 100K
Old 01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by MR. GADGET
If I remember the grid heater/ wait to start is a timed thing per temp and should not change. If the engine is warm then the senser will turn it off faster.
I went with som Auto zone golds for 85$ a year ago and they act the same as the stock ones. Crank fine in VA a few weeks back no plug for the heater at about 8-10* outside.

I see no reason for paying $$ for the batterys and doing any mods to cables or time when an off the shelf will fit and work. I also ran an inverter for a few hrs that night, plus a 12 camping light for 6 hrs. Its one of the green fishing lights but is works great camping.

BTW the stock ones lasted 6+ years and about 100K
Yeh, and my stock OEM ones lasted 7yrs and over 160K miles. They were fine, had no complaints. But for the price of stockers, why not upgrade with just the slightest bit of work. Some people I know just like the set it, forget it, plug and play and easy route when it comes to doing things on vehicles and would never think about deviating from factory stock. There is nothing wrong with that. Others such as me and many more on this site are never really satisfied with "just good enough" and always are looking to improve on what the factory supplied us with, especially if its cheaper and better at the same time. By the way, I looked at the exact battery you have, as they were rated #2 by Consumer reports. They were $105/piece.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:21 PM

So, where is the best place to get Group 31 batteries for our rigs? Autozone, Checker, Napa, IFA, Interstate, the local tractor supply? Do they all carry them as a standard?
Thanks for the info
Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Those blankets don't really do squat!!! They're not heated or anything.
Just an FYI...
Those battery blankets are more to protect the battery from the heat under the hood.
Heat is what kills batteries the fastest.
Maybe not too improtant up in the great white north but down here in the SW they cook and those blankets add about a year to the useful life of batteries down here.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by GASKICKER
So, where is the best place to get Group 31 batteries for our rigs? Autozone, Checker, Napa, IFA, Interstate, the local tractor supply? Do they all carry them as a standard?
Thanks for the info
I am go to need batteries in the spring.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:32 PM
Chapter President

Thanks for the info
Originally Posted by Blueboy
I am go to need batteries in the spring.

Any one of those stores will have good commercial/industrial grade group31 batteries for sale. Just don't expect to see them on the racks next to the standard auto batteries. Have to ask for them specifically, cause they are usually kept in the back.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM

I called a neighbor that works for the local Cat shop, asked him about the Group 31 and Group 65, 31 = 950 cca & 65 = 880 cca; maintenance free Caterpillar http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37407&x=7
Both were considerably more than the sub $100 you paid.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Chapter President

I called a neighbor that works for the local Cat shop, asked him about the Group 31 and Group 65, 31 = 950 cca & 65 = 880 cca; maintenance free Caterpillar http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37407&x=7

Yeh, I work in the marine industry and anything that has Cat braded on the side usually runs 30%-50% more than any other brand replacement part. I guarantee you can do better price wise at a different store.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have started my 09 up in as low as -15 without any issues, factory batteries.....
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the info
Autozone, Checker, NAPA, and I am pretty sure TSC are all made by East Penn MFG./DEKA. CAT made by DEKA also. Best and cheapest place to get them is at the factory. Good deals on factory seconds. But, gotta live in eastern PA or it is a long drive. BTW they are quality batteries. I know I watch them being built every night at work.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by PRO-NRA
I assume our 3rd gens are 65s? Well so far mine is still the factory battery and I've deployed twice now and the truck parked and never started 5 months and when I did start it cranked and started right away. However I have to brand new Optima 31A sitting on the shelf in my garage just waiting for the OEM battery to quit. I will have to come up with some-kind of custom mount as the little measurement I did the big Optima is just a little too long fro the plastic tray.
Welcome home, brother!