3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Gps Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

The factory nav just stinks. Around me, you'll be in a town and the gps will not know the address as the town your in. It will know it under maybe the township or something along that means.. Very agrivating. My Nuvi 350 is awesome. I will never go factory nav again..

Also, here is a thought:
When a truck is engineered, it is approx 4 years out of the build year. That means the gps is already outdated if they are building these 4 years earlier than the production model year.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 PM

my .02 is that I agree you get more with aftermarket, and always will for the buck, I'm with the no-wires crowd.... had that with my old 99 ford..... I look for dodge to come out with touch screen and better features soon, (that may retrofit into our 06-07's) as well as more detailed discs, if not area-specific discs. Do the other guys even have bluetooth yet?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I use GPS software that displays through my laptop - easy to read the screen and make real-time course changes at speed.

Next new phone will have GPS on it, so that'll take care of the walkabouts where I don't want to lug the 'puter...
Ditto; I run Magellan NAV 5200dx GPS units in my 4 trucks. My thinkpad has the interconnect cable. The Thinkpad runs Microsoft Streets and Trips. The coverage is excellent, and I can do other trip planning with Streets and Trips while driving. I had total coverage in Labrador with Streets and Trips. In my opinion, its a Cheap way and the Best way for a large display and many more features then a dedicated GPS.

8Valve
Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
Would that Kenwood fit in our trucks??
Yep, do a seach, a few guys have done it.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:24 AM

i bought a tomtom 3rd edition and for 150$ its pretty awsome,i used to have a magelan roadmate and it was like a dinasoaur compared to this,i live in a rural area and every location ive looked for is in there,whats the street you live on?ill check to see if its on the tomtom,you can corect map errors and update points of interest everyday and you can load diferent voices{mr t "fooool"}is pretty cool,its very user friendly and for the buck im pretty impressed,easily transfered from the ctd to the wifes car too,very small and sleek
Old 12-28-2007, 12:47 PM

post the cross streets and we can see if its on diferent units.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:24 PM

This is an interesting post. My sister just called me to say that Costco is having a coupon for the Garmin Nuvi 360 (final cost is about $200.00, I believe).

First of all, in 61 years, I don't remember ever being so lost that I would have needed electronic help to get myself on the straight & narrow. Could you guys please tell me what the big advantage of a GPS unit is. Since I've never owned one, I just don't see what the big deal is about them.

If I was a hunter or remote hiker, I would like to have one. In the woods, all those trees look the same & a GPS would help to get out.

So many people have GPS nowadays that, there has to be something to them. I just don't understand what the big interest is. Is it just the latest electronic fad?

I'd really appreciate your opinions, especially, regarding the Garmin Nuvi 360.

Thanks.

Joe F.(Buffalo)