3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Gps Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gps Sucks

Well first off let me say i made the big jump from my 06 3500 to an 08 2500. Very pleased with the 08 so far. The only complaint i have is the GPS for northern alberta just plain sucks. It does not have my city on it, just plain old dissapears to a white screen, no lakes, roads, etc. It is not a malfunction just no data. I can't believe you shell out $2000 for a nav unit to have this. I will say when it is somewhere with the data it is pretty accurate, but come on i bought a hand held 3 years ago that has more info than this one. I can't see why they would not include maybe 2 disc's one for USA and one for Canada if storage was an issue. I would think it probably covers the USA fairly well. Gonna give old Dodge a call in the next few days to give them my rant.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:49 AM

Overall I would say the GPS is not worth it. I also got the GPS in Alaska, which it had no coverage for. Most of Northern Canada it did not have coverage for (though the Nuvi I bought did). It is not user friendly, and the discs cost $150. It even blocks you out of most of the menu options when over 10 MPH. Overall, worst mod I did was to switch over to the Mopar GPS, this thing is worthless. (Also of note the Dodge Nav system is the most expensive as well)...
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 AM

I agree. We have the Mopar one in my wife's minivan. Hard to use, no touchscreen, expensive to update.

I have a TomTom for the Dodge and like it pretty well. You can turn off the speed limit lock, it is all touchscreen and now they allow you to make and receive map updates daily.

I will not pay to have another factory GPS in any future car.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a Nuvi 650 and love the thing. I use it both at work and for play. It's great because you can do everything while you're moving and don't have to worry about limited functionality. In addition, the maps are really accurate. I have found a couple of mistakes with it, but not much.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:19 AM
D45

I just bought a Magellan Maestro 4250 with the 4.3" touch screen and it is nice! Free unlimited updates for 3 years also!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 AM

Nowadays you can get so much more for less by going aftermarket. Put a Kenwood DNX7100 in my wifes 4Runner with Bluetooth for hands free phone operation, Sirius, iPod control, and DVD for less than Toyota's factory nav. I plan on doing something similar to my truck in the future. In the meantime I use a Lowrance iWay 500c which has been awesome. And with it's 5" touchscreen I have no problems seeing it sitting up on the dash.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:03 AM

My DW gave me a Garvin nuvi 200 W for Christmas and so far, I love it.
Tried it out going to my folks yesterday with the unit on speaker.
Had fun intentionally making wrong turns so it would say" Racalibrating"
So far it worked pretty good.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 AM

I got the REC for a great deal and put it in mine after I bought it. I agree with what others have said in that it's not the easiest to use but I just didn't want an aftermarket unit mounted on my dash or hanging from my windshield. I have had no problems with mine so far. My wife has the RB1 in her van and she also has an aftermarket unit that we had in our last van. I'm not sure which she likes best. Factory touchscreen would sure be nice though....
Old 12-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
I have a Nuvi 650 and love the thing.
Off the factory topic but.... just got the nuvi 650 also. Great....but?
I live in rural OK, and have a street map from 1998 that lists street names on country roads that the Garmin still just lists as numbered roads off the Platt maps?? I expected better.
Several new roads (1-2 yrs old for new housing developments) are not included at all??
I checked and have the 2008 map updates.

On the other side of the coin .....it's amazing that 99% of the roads/streets/lanes in the US are in that little box!

RJ
Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Nowadays you can get so much more for less by going aftermarket. Put a Kenwood DNX7100 in my wifes 4Runner with Bluetooth for hands free phone operation, Sirius, iPod control, and DVD for less than Toyota's factory nav. I plan on doing something similar to my truck in the future. In the meantime I use a Lowrance iWay 500c which has been awesome. And with it's 5" touchscreen I have no problems seeing it sitting up on the dash.
Would that Kenwood fit in our trucks??
Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Old 12-26-2007, 11:43 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
Off the factory topic but.... just got the nuvi 650 also. Great....but?
I live in rural OK, and have a street map from 1998 that lists street names on country roads that the Garmin still just lists as numbered roads off the Platt maps?? I expected better.
Several new roads (1-2 yrs old for new housing developments) are not included at all??
I checked and have the 2008 map updates.

On the other side of the coin .....it's amazing that 99% of the roads/streets/lanes in the US are in that little box!

RJ
I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. For me in my job, we ONLY use road numbers and not street names, so it's great for me. When I get a radio call on RP1501, i do not want to have to waste my time cross referencing the road name so you can see how that would be a benefit to me.

Granted, that only works well for a very small amount of people. I'm glad I'm in that minority. The 650 is an older unit. If you haven't done an update to it, then I would suggest doing so. It's past end of life already.

EDIT: I just noticed you said that you have the 2008 map updates. What versions are you running on the unit? If you're in the 3.something range, then you're not up to date.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic

I don't think so. It's a double-DIN unit, and I think our trucks use a 1-1/2 DIN. It might fit with aftermarket install kit but I'm not sure.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:01 PM

i got the alpine for christmas and it is wicked. I love it, it works well. It's easy to use while driving, its got a bright screen, the battery lasts a long time, and the touch screen isnt too sensitive. For 350$ it was a very good deal.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use GPS software that displays through my laptop - easy to read the screen and make real-time course changes at speed.

Next new phone will have GPS on it, so that'll take care of the walkabouts where I don't want to lug the 'puter...

Quick Reply: Gps Sucks