3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

GPS - Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GPS - Good or Bad?

What do you guys think of the GPS radio Dodge is offering in the new trucks?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:44 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmm, never heard of it. Got a link?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:53 PM

I can't get a direct link to Dodge's website so here is a snapshot of my screen....

Old 02-03-2004, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say a bit on the pricey side for what you get....................
Old 02-03-2004, 11:44 PM

the screen is too small and the price is too big =]
Old 02-04-2004, 12:23 AM

Thats the RB1 and its real nice. If you add Satellite Radio you will be able to view the Artist, Song Title and Station Name all at the same time on that screen.
I would like to get one for the wifes PT Cruiser cuz there is not much room for an add on Satellite radio. I mounted a Streamer in my Ram.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:00 AM

The one you have in the pic is a RB4.a lower end of the nav radios.The RB1 is much nicer and has a little bigger screen and more features and retails for $1595.00 and can be had for about $1300.00.The thing I don't like about them is when you program in the address they go off the memory and the choices are not thet good on some of them.Tried to find a shop in my town and could not even find the street! And it is a major one in town!
Old 02-04-2004, 05:24 AM

Spend your money on a Garmin Street Pilot 2650 for under 800 bucks. Much more frexibility, easily upgradable, and the City Nav software is excellent. FWIW
Old 02-04-2004, 05:34 AM

For that much you can buy a laptop and a delorme gps with mapping software for the whole usa. Get an inverter and have enough left over for dinner out. Plus you can get map upgrades for $60.00 and have a laptop thats good for a whole bunch of other stuff. I agree with the to much $$$$$ and to little screen.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I find I use my GPS very little while driving. I use the laptop to set out the route, print it, and go for it. Used to hookup all while driving - - it is a mess - - too many chords, too much room taken up, and not used that much after the novelty wore off. Love the mapping with the laptop - - pick out your campgrounds, make reservations, look for side trips - - great. And, I use the little pocket size GPS when hiking and biking in the mountains or woods - - makes sure I can get back home after the big bad bear chases me off my path.

WatchMySmokeBob
Old 02-04-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say a bit on the pricey side for what you get....................
When I select it from the list of options for a Laramie on carsdirect, it comes out only $682. But, that's probably because they delete the 6-cd in-dash changer (which I'm not terribly fond of anyway) as part of the upgrade.
Spend your money on a Garmin Street Pilot 2650 for under 800 bucks. Much more frexibility, easily upgradable, and the City Nav software is excellent. FWIW
For that much you can buy a laptop and a delorme gps with mapping software for the whole usa. Get an inverter and have enough left over for dinner out. Plus you can get map upgrades for $60.00 and have a laptop thats good for a whole bunch of other stuff. I agree with the to much $$$$$ and to little screen.
I agree somewhat except I think there's some value in having it built-in. It's a hassle to have to fool around with inverters and finding a place to put it, cords hanging around. It's much cleaner being just built-in. I just wish it was a bigger screen so you can convert it work with a video dvd player (not while driving, of course). Now THAT would be cool.

Neil
Old 02-04-2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by balvert
Right, and you can take it with you for use on foot, or in another vehicle.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:48 AM

I agree having it factory and built in seems nice. Not sure how good of a system it is, I had a Garmin GPSV and found it's directions to be less than helpful. I'm told they have gotten better and the new 2610 is quite nice, much faster.

The maps on this unit is also easy to upgrade, buy a new DVD (~$100, similar to Garmin's price) and you put it in the slot. It's even supposed to upgrade the firmware.

Also here is some good info on the nav radio :

http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm

Mopar's page with the manual, map coverage, and the link.

http://www.mopar.com/dodge/Nprod.html

The biggest flaw I can see is that it has only one disc drive, so you either have audio or the nav DVD in it. If you want to navigate AND listen to a CD you'll need a changer.

There is no yearly fee for the unit, but they do seem to release new DVDs about every year with new/updated data. Upgrades are about $100-200. This is pretty consistant with other GPS navigation systems, including garmin.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:57 AM

I have the RB4 and love it .Price was $750 from factory.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which one comes as the option RB1 or RB4?

Will the RB4 fit in-dash?

Neil

Quick Reply: GPS - Good or Bad?