3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Got a squealing sound...no idea what.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a squealing sound...no idea what.

My truck has developed a squealing sound which seems to come on at random times. I goes away instantly upon application of the brakes. It has a metal to metal sort of sound to it. Local Dodge mech says brakes are in great shape and he doesn't see anything obvious, and doesn't have a clue what it is without at least hearing it...well it comes and goes, and not when he's had it or course. I want to say it seems like it may favor left turn pressure on the steering, although I see exceptions to that also. I can hear it from inside with windows up but upon rolling them down it is very noticable and annoying. Highway speeds, local roads etc..getting worse..anybody wanna guess on this one?

Thanks

Bob
Old 08-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Wash it lately? Could be an accumulation of break dust. Would be my guess since it stops when you hit the breaks.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Front wheel bearing hub assembly????
Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Nope not dirty cameroneod. roughstock would applying the brakes cause the squealing sound to go away if the front wheel bearing hub assembly was the problem? Would this bearing assy act up randomly in the early stages of failure? Just asking now because I don't know. I know that I drove for 40-50 mile without a sound then it comes back as I coasted towards a toll stop. Then hit the brakes its gone...lift the pedal and its back...get back up to speed its gone again..slow to come off the exit and it's back again...no consistency to the symptoms. Is this the nature of those bearings going away? Thanks for your feedback roughstock. Tell me more if you know about this problem. Anyone else have some info please?

Bob
Old 08-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Sounds similar to the bad bearing assebly on my duramax. Started off only as squeel when turning, then when turning, sometimes going straight. Started out that way, then got progressivly worse, with a growling sound that was there all the time when it was really bad. Appling the brakes may cause a change of sound, because caliper is applying pressure and changes angle of the hub assembly with bad bearing. Is tire cupped or wearing uneven?

Jack up that side of truck. Grab top and bottom of tire. if there is play, its is going bad.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:59 PM

Thanks roughstock...I'm going to jack it up and see soon as it stops raining. Appreciate the fast reply too.

Bob
Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 PM

I had that same prob with my 96 and now my 07. Mine starts to whine at about 45 to 50 mph. I had suspected the brakes, but you can be fooled into thinking it is when you brake and the squeal stops. However if you maintain the speed to hear the whine with the throttle and brake enough to engage the brakes a bit, then on mine the whine is still there. On my 96 I even changed the steady bearing but it made no difference.
Also I've noticed that even if I hear it not everybody can. The tech at my dealership swears he hears nothing while I do hear it. I have to wonder if it is in a frequency range that not everyone can hear. I know that I hear it and I hate it.
I notice that yours is a 4X4 like mine. I know I should know what a 48RE is but I don't . Mine is standard and so was the 96.
Boy would I love to hear that someone figures this one out.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by way up north
I've noticed that even if I hear it not everybody can. The tech at my dealership swears he hears nothing while I do hear it. I have to wonder if it is in a frequency range that not everyone can hear. I know that I hear it and I hate it.
I notice that yours is a 4X4 like mine. I know I should know what a 48RE is but I don't . Mine is standard and so was the 96.
Boy would I love to hear that someone figures this one out.
That 48RE is the designation for the automatic transmission. My sound is embarrasingly loud. when i crank down the window there is no missing that squealing. But because it comes and goes at random the tech at my dealership hasn't heard it yet either. Going to checkout the wheel like roughstock suggested.

Bob
Old 08-16-2008, 09:42 AM

Look behind the dust shield. I get rocks in there from time to time mired in grease that makes a racket.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:45 PM

Have you checked your Ujoint both front and rear?
Another thing might be the sound is a rear axle pinion and gear. I would also check the turbo, aftercooler, and the engine mount vacuum pump.

Shawn
Old 08-17-2008, 03:54 PM

I went back and reread your first post. You mention that keeping a left on the the steering tend to favor that. Have you checked your fluid levels in the powersteering pump and how many fan belts have you had replace recently? You might have a bad belt tensioner or fan clutch.

Shawn
Old 12-24-2008, 05:40 AM

Did u everfind out ebay it was