3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Got the Atlantic blues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the Atlantic blues...

Hi again,

Well, I've grown tired of truck shopping and have decided--since they're taking orders again--to go this route and get exactly what I want. Or mostly.

The color I really want is Atlantic Blue, but apparently you can't get this on a dually. My next choices were graphite or almond, but I don't think you can get them either. This must be the same Dodge-logic (dodgic?) that says you can't get a SRW r/c 3500, or replace the stock airbox with one that's actually better for the engine w/o voiding the warranty. :

Since I really would like a blue dually, however (all blue trucks have magic powers--at least mine have ) I am now considering Patriot blue. I had originally rejected this color for two reasons: too dark to keep clean driving on a whiterock road every day, and comments on this forum about how easily it scratches. Soooo, my questions I guess are aimed at folks who have 04s in this color... (but anyone else feel free to chime in!)

1. The Patriot blue shown in the 04 printed brochure looks a lot lighter than in past years, when it was almost a navy-midnight blue. In the brochure it now looks very close to Atlantic blue---did they change it for 04??

2. Does the 04 version seem any less prone to scratches?

3. Is there any sort of protective clear coat that could be added at home?

I already have a blue peeler (my '91--awesome truck, crummy paint) and don't feel a strong inclination to experience that again. At the same time, it seems ridiculous to pay $$$ for a new truck and not get at least close to the color you want.

Thanks for any input!

Amy
Old 12-08-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Re:Got the Atlantic blues...

1. It is no where near the atlantic blue. It is still a dark navy blue.

2. I don't know... I only have 500 mi on mine and so far I have treated it with kid gloves...

3. If you find anything let me know... I spend a lot of time on gravel roads as well...
Old 12-08-2003, 08:22 PM

I can't figure out why Dodge won't paint duallys in certain colors. I really wanted a graphite sport but couldn't get it.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I wanted a dually Atlantic blue too.

:'(
Old 12-08-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same reason you can't get the same paint on a Harley Sportster as you can on a roadking.........it has to be different for some people to tell the difference....
Old 12-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Muted User

[quote author=Stoked link=board=17;threadid=23472;start=0#msg220476 date=1070936565]
I can't figure out why Dodge won't paint duallys in certain colors. I really wanted a graphite sport but couldn't get it.
[/quote]

The dually fenders are painted off the truck @ the factory, and certain colors (Atlantic blue & almond especially) are nearly impossible to get an acceptable color match. My friend (who owns a dealership) says that those colors give the body shop nightmares, and it's a known issue.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:29 AM

If your friend owns a dealership please ask him why all of these CTD are venting oil/exhaust fumes into passenger area thru the ventalation sysyem....BIG Problem
Thanks
Old 12-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Muted User

If his service dept. knew, I would have the fix done!

I don't get the odor often, and I've learned to live with it - I hope that's the biggest complaint I have with this truck! ;D
Old 12-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Muted User

My 03 is Atlantic Blue Pearl. Beautiful color. The color is similar to my 1968 Mustang convertible. Only problem is it really shows the dirt.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:57 PM

Hi Ho SILVER Away.......don't show dirt
Old 12-12-2003, 07:19 PM

Hey there,

I too thought patriot blue looked wierd in the brochures. But, I found one one on the lot, and loved the color.. just like Navy Blue. You're right, though.. it is difficult to keep clean, but when it is clean....Sweet Mother of God it is Beeeeeeeutiful, if I do say so m'self. After a couple of coats of Liquid Glass, it seems quite durable as well, and dirt and mud slide right off when I wash him. I attribute that more to the Liquid Glass than the quality of the paint, but I am not a body man or a chemist, so I can't say for sure. I can however, speak with authority to your subject because mine spends probably 60% of its' time on gravel roads. The Old School Ram now has almost 30k on her, and people still comment with regularity on the color and finish.