3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

gen 3 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 4X4 and get over 20 mpg hand calculated.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by annabelle
I have a 4X4 and get over 20 mpg hand calculated.
...and that`s due to the $6K tranny you just put in it

I don`t think 25 MPG is a # someone should think is a reasonable one to expect...
Old 12-09-2008, 07:42 PM

Getting about 15 MPG average.. Before the lift and tires, I was able to squeak 18.5 MPG or so out of it, but that was keeping it around 63-65 MPH on a 600 miles road trip.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 AM

mileage

I'm with Ram Daddy on this one.

Take everyone's claims of mileage with a little salt, it'll taste better when you figure out the inflation factor.

For example Matcopage is driving the same basic truck as mine and he's claiming mileage 18% higher than I'm actually getting. Must be the air purity there??

Never believe the overhead. Mine is inflated 11%.

I drive my truck like a little ole lady and on the open highway, 70mph, 1850 rpm, the best I've gotten has been 19.57 mpg with the mods listed below. That's using the cruise control which will hurt the numbers a little in hilly terrain.

But I still have the dream so am always looking for better numbers. I've just accepted that I'm a horrible driver and poor mathmetician cause my numbers never quite match up to claims on here.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 AM

FWIW, I've kept track of my mileage on my PDA since I first got it to pull my 7k travel trailer so 21,795 miles & $5,711.35 in diesel later:

14.484 mpg avg
9.47 mpg lo <- headwind uphill
20.41 mpg hi <- empty on fairly flat I-5
643 miles the farthest on one tank
$0.26/mi operating cost
$4.999 most expensive gallon
$2.19 least expensive gallon (so far)

$priceless <- time spent with family before kids are gone
Old 12-11-2008, 06:34 AM

I did just a little over 1300 miles over Thanksgiving week and I got 18.8 running 70 to 100 mph. 04.5 Edge J/A on level 3 3:73 rears NV5600 4X4 with stock tires.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by ovrszd
I'm with Ram Daddy on this one.

Take everyone's claims of mileage with a little salt, it'll taste better when you figure out the inflation factor.

For example Matcopage is driving the same basic truck as mine and he's claiming mileage 18% higher than I'm actually getting. Must be the air purity there??
Say what you will, but you're welcomed to come along for a ride anytime you want. You can explain my good mileage to downhill trips only half the time.

Every one of these trucks is a little different, and we all have different driving styles. I bet a bunch of us could trade trucks and find our mileage numbers followed the drivers and not the trucks.

I am personally on a quest to get more than 25 MPG on a regular basis. I know it can be done, I just have to figure out a new combo and the driving style.

Good luck,
garrett
Old 12-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

Ram Daddy.....I got 20-24 MPG over the road before Tim's tranny. Now I get 22+ intown and around the same over the road. All hand calculated.....not the overhead. My overhead shows 2MPG less.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With current settings, see signature below and included a trip over loveland pass, a few 85 MPH coal rolling passes here and there I got 19.33 on my last tank. Hand calc.

BTW the over head lies and on mine at least is typically shows 2 or 3 MPG better.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 PM

i have a early 04 305/555 6 spd. i average around 14.5 around town and about 17.5 on the highway 80-85 mph with 3.73's and 35's. hand calculated.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 PM

I honestly think alot of the mileage number variations are because the actually speedos and therefore Odometers are slighty off and the differing locations of where people live (obvious difference also between 2 wd and 4 wd as well). I found when inputting the new tires size via the Smarty in my truck and matching it off two different GPSes, that I needed some fine tuning to get the GPS to match my speeds exactly. And alot of mileage numbers here are based off a small sampling of miles, not over the long term... People that have made the spreadsheets and track the mileage over 20K miles have a more realistic long term average of MPG vs those that post the short term, or the one tank that was 100% highway miles with a tailwind, for instance. Additionally, where you live, ie close to a big city where you are stuck in traffic, etc have an impact in the fuel mileage numbers significantly as well. People's city mileage will vary greatly if they live, lets say, near Boston, MA where the drive into work can have stop and go traffic for hours, where other areas the traffic impact/stop and go mileage will be much less even though both will claim "city" mileage. I am sure driving styles also have an impact, for instance, those that can slowly roll to stops and are easy on the throttle during acceleration. Again, I think this is a product of where people live, for rolling to stops and slowly accelerating cannot be accomplished in areas with larger amount of traffic congestion as you will be unable to merge or be cut off 25 times if you try to slowly roll to a stop. But again, just my .02
Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Banned

I drive fairly conservatively, but I will get into it when need be. I drive about 100 miles per day and have made several round trips to Dallas, Austin and Natchitoches LA of several thousand miles. I cruise at 1800 RPM (about 65 MPH) to achieve the best mileage with out stopping traffic. My speedometer matches up exactly with my GPS in respect to speed. I have an auto with 3.73 gears,and stock height tires(265's). It is fairly flat and open where I live. However, with Tim Holt's built tranny I even get 22+ in town. I went the long slow way for several weeks to test this. All the mileage I have reported is hand calculated.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 AM

mileage

Originally Posted by garbri
Say what you will, but you're welcomed to come along for a ride anytime you want. You can explain my good mileage to downhill trips only half the time.

Every one of these trucks is a little different, and we all have different driving styles. I bet a bunch of us could trade trucks and find our mileage numbers followed the drivers and not the trucks.

I am personally on a quest to get more than 25 MPG on a regular basis. I know it can be done, I just have to figure out a new combo and the driving style.

Good luck,
garrett
To drive any more efficiently than I do you would have to get out and push.

Anyone getting mid twenties needs to do a detailed writeup about how their truck is equipped. Also might want to contact Chrysler about selling your setup since they currently need to boost sales.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ovrszd
To drive any more efficiently than I do you would have to get out and push.

Anyone getting mid twenties needs to do a detailed writeup about how their truck is equipped.
That's too funny. Maybe that's how those tailgate spoilers work; they make it easier to push your truck.

Anyhow, my truck had a reflash to fix a white smoke, low-mileage and inaccurate overhead situation. That, and the fact that it's a manual trans and 2wd all seem to help my mileage. Switching to Rotella synthetic helped the mileage, but since I switched the oil the weather cooled down making the mileage change inaccurate. I noticed that using between B10-B20 seems to quiet the engine down and increase the mileage about .25-.5 MPG (I've switched back and fourth a few times to get this average).

I plan on putting a Retrax tannau cover on, as well as a home-made aero kit for the underside. I've worked on a few Bonneville cars, so I hope to make the truck a little more slippery in the wind.

Other things that are on my list include a Smarty, and a GV OD setup.

I see some folks here complain about their mileage and see that they have 4WD with big tires, leveling kits and big towing mirrors. All of these kill mileage. Not such a big deal now, but when fuel is >$5, it will matter again.

And remember the golden rule: SPEED KILLS (your mileage)

garrett
Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM

"I see some folks here complain about their mileage and see that they have 4WD "

...that`s because the original question specified mileage in a 4WD.

My truck has has 37s and I`m sure it doesn`t help my mileage in town , but it does help keep my RPMs down on the HWY...and I`m not complaining , I think it`s pretty good for what I have.

I just don`t want someone to think 25 MPG is something they can expect out of a 4X4 ....I`m NOT SAYING it isn`t possible , just not likely....

Quick Reply: gen 3 mpg