3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Gasoline in a Diesel Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gasoline in a Diesel Engine

A PSD guy came in to my office today and as usual we started talking trucks. Any way he was telling me he got a load of fuel that caused his PSD to start smoking white and the engine had power loss. I thought must be water. He told me he ran the tank out got a fresh load and it was all ok again. He took it in for service and ask the dealer about it. Told the dealer he didn’t think it was water no water in fuel light. The deal then tells him must have gotten some gasoline in his tank. I thought are you kidding me wouldn’t that really tear things up. He the preceded to tell me that the PSD computer will compensate for this problem to protect the engine. The dealer also told him this. ***? Has anyone ever heard of this?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:03 PM

Sounds hard to believe!!!!!! I think it was just dealer B.S. when they didnt know what else to blame it on.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 PM

You put gas in a diesel and it sounds like it is going to blow a part. Runs ruff and knocks real bad.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

I really doubt the computer compensates for that how would it???
Old 01-21-2005, 07:07 AM

My experience has been that there needs to be NO computer to protect things if gasoline is in sufficient quantity to make the diesel run poorly.

First... It won't run long enough to hurt the injector pump.

Second... If it does run, then it will do so without enough power to move itself.

Third... The white cloud will be so thick that you'll need fog lights to find your way out the cab door.

Older engines (John Deere) would run on multi-fuels. Start on gas and switch to kero or a mix of that and diesel. I guess they even ran pretty well, so it's possible not to hurt an engine by mis-fueling. What's not possible is to make an engine designed for compression ignition (cetane rated) to run well on fuel designed for a spark ignition (octane rated).

And I do speak from some experience as I have a good friend who tries to gas his diesel tractor from time to time. The result is that we don't have to fog for mosquitoes very often. Other than that, no real hurt done to anything.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by CaptainDD
You put gas in a diesel and it sounds like it is going to blow a part. Runs ruff and knocks real bad.

I thought PSD already did that stuff . I think that's how the engine compensates, it runs the same with straight diesel or a diesel/gase mixture .

Sounds like BS to me too!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 PM

He must have gotten one of those Flex-Fuel Powerstrokes. From what I've learned about the Powerstroke on other forums, there's not much this mighty motr can't do, maybe he should fill his tank with water next time, it'll automatically recalibrate itself and become a steam engine!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Banned

One of those multi fuel engines like in the Military Deuce and halfs
Old 01-21-2005, 09:53 PM

When I worked at Lorain Ford Asembly plant if the line workers put gas in a diesel and someone started it before it got caught International made use do and motor change.This was back in the dayes of the 7.3's but would bet that has not changed.A couple of these in a day would really back up heavy hole repair, it would take me 4 hours to do an engine change, things go a lot faster when everything is new.I don't know if a truck would be harder or easyer since all we built were ford vans.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:40 PM

my step dad put gas in our 03 555 before. He got the green handle and it turned out to be a gas pump instead of a diesel pump... The truck ran fine for a few miles before he turned it off. when he turned it back on, it was just a plume of white smoke. The motor sounded fine, it was just puffing out white smoke. He went back to the station in my truck and saw the green handle was actually midgrade gasoline. All he had to do was drain the fuel tank and fill it with diesel. ran like a champ after that.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
There are very close tolerances within injectors and pumps, and gasoline doesn't lubricate nearly as well as diesel. Sure, I've seen it many times where it did no immediate damage, but the potential is there.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:46 PM

On my old Chevy with a 6.5 I stopped at a full-service station. Left the engine running. Now, on a new Cummins I could see an ignorant fool thinking that maybe it was a gas motor while running, but on a 6.5? C'mon! Anyway, the guy neglected to understand the engine noise or the "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" and started putting gas in. After about 5 gallons I caught him, yelled at him, and then put in another 10 gallons of diesel. Thing ran fine, never noticed a difference.

I would never do it on purpose, and I would never do it on my 600...
Old 01-22-2005, 07:00 AM

With my old '84 Isuzu diesel, the owner's manual said I could run up to a certain percent gas in the diesel fuel to preven gelling in winter. Mercedes was the same way. Diesels were a totally different animal back then. Now a drop of water can ruin an injector. I hope to never get close enough to a P of SD to learn what it can or can't do. But compensate for gas in the fuel?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:43 PM

Well, we can chalk it up to learning something new every day. That's a new one on me. Must be a new secret sensor that nobody but the dealer knows about. I don't like to see gas put in a diesel at any mix ratio. Some people may get away with it for years, and someone else may accidently do it once and destroy an injection system or ruin the eng. If you have more than 5% gas in the diesel you could damage things on the older mechanical engines, The newer computer versions have almost no tolerence for gas mix.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:54 AM
J&L

Adding a gal of gas to a tank of diesel was pushed by a lot of tractor dealers years back['50s/60s], also on the early 6.2/6.9 if a anti-gel wasn't available. We only used it if temps were going to stay below 30 degrees for sometime. I sure wouldn't add gas on the newer diesels ..............JIM

Quick Reply: Gasoline in a Diesel Engine