3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Garage door opener question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Garage door opener question

I've owned my 04.5 CTD since new and always assumed that the integrated garage door opener only worked when the ignition was on. I don't know why I made that assumption. I guess it just made sense to me. The other day, I had unlocked the truck and my wife got in, pushed the button and, to my surprise, the garage door opened. This makes me wonder. Is the button live all the time? Does it become inop after a certain amount of time? I did a small test where I turned off the truck, waited until the dome lights turned off (didn't lock it), and it still worked then.

I assume it would be disabled if the alarm is going off (actually, why assume anything at this point?). But, what about if I accidentally forget to lock the truck, how long does it stay active? I don't want someone to be able to get into my garage by pushing a button in the truck.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Garage door opener??? I wonder if I have one....

Should be live 24/7.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Garage door opener??? I wonder if I have one....

Should be live 24/7.
Laramies have them. If live 24/7, that would be a security concern. Unless someone knows for sure, I guess I'll have to conduct a test. I may have to erase the code out of there if that turns out to be the case. I use it to open/close the garage as a convenience - but I don't park in the garage. We're having a rash of break-ins in our neighborhood. I certainly don't want to make it easy for them.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a separate system, and it's live as long as there is power. If you're not parking in the garage, just remove the code. Actually, just go ahead and take that off and ship me the parts, and I'll ship you mine.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:40 PM

I never thought of it but you bring up a good point. The only downside is unless you take the portable opener with you then you still have the same problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by az2500
I never thought of it but you bring up a good point. The only downside is unless you take the portable opener with you then you still have the same problem.
True. But, I don't. I never thought twice about it as I assumed that it was disabled without the ignition on. I'm gonna try it with my Lexus too (which DOES live in the garage) and see if Toyota got this one right.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJMurvin
Laramies have them. If live 24/7, that would be a security concern. Unless someone knows for sure, I guess I'll have to conduct a test. I may have to erase the code out of there if that turns out to be the case. I use it to open/close the garage as a convenience - but I don't park in the garage. We're having a rash of break-ins in our neighborhood. I certainly don't want to make it easy for them.
Fortunately my SLT does not have this system as it won't fit in our garage and lives outside 24/7. The wife's Hemi Durango Limited does have this option and it is live all the time, but she always parks inside the garage. I use a small Genii keychain remote which allows me to take it with me and swap easily to my motorcycles keychain. It has buttons to open either door. Lowes had them for around $25 when I bought it a few years ago. Only downside is I have to replace the battery every couple months, probably due to buttons getting pushed when I put it in a pocket.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Same concern as having a normal opener. Just turn on the 'vacation' function of your normal push pad for the opener and no external remotes will work.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 AM

I wouldn't keep a normal opener in this vehicle as it always gets parked outside - next to the garage. I think I'm going to clear the codes for peace of mind.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM

I decided that if a crook was smart enough to program that dam opener thingy I'd just let him get into my garage. Been trying to program that thing for years and I finally gave up!!!!!!!!!! And before you ask---No I couldn't program my VCR or DVD either!!!!
Jay

Sorry for the hi jack
Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM

LOL - my garage door opener is "old school" and was a breeze to program. I used to park the truck in the garage right after I got it. But, alas, junk sprawl in the garage soon forced me out. I never gave a second thought to the security of the homelink button. I just assumed the ignition had to be on to use it (or at least accessory mode like the radio). Only after my wife activated the door when the truck was completely off did I begin to realize this might not be a good thing. Since I only occasionally open the door with the homelink button, I can certainly live without this feature. By clearing the codes and disabling it, if I forget to lock my truck, some dirtbag passerby can't get into my garage.