3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, have had many TIPM/IPM failures. Problem is, there are several things that can cause the wipers to not work and you will almost surely need a StarScan to diagnose it properly.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:39 PM

warlock when you say they fail do you replace the TIPM itself or is it usually another component causeing the problem?

i guess i am also wondering if the dealers are experienced enough with this new TIPM? do you think they will get my wipers working tomorrow? i really need my truck and houston weather is unpredictable.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wreedz71
warlock when you say they fail do you replace the TIPM itself or is it usually another component causeing the problem?

i guess i am also wondering if the dealers are experienced enough with this new TIPM? do you think they will get my wipers working tomorrow? i really need my truck and houston weather is unpredictable.
they should be able to fix it they have a starscan tool and we don't probably something dumb...but has to be fix by starscan
Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by wreedz71

The TIPM is the Totally Integrated Power Module. It is nothing new, it's just that it used to be comprised of the power distribution center and front control module. They now are replaced as an assembly and they have no external relays and very few fuses as you have found out.
Any competent Dodge tech should be able to diagnose it in 1/2 an hour.

When I meant that they fail, I am talking about the FCM or TIPM in this case are causing a problem. I personally haven't seen wipers fail yet on the new trucks. I have had to replace a wiper motor due to a bad park switch that would sometimes cause the wipers to wipe twice with out parking.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 AM

ok well i am fixing to leave to take it over to the dealer.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 PM

who was telling me that i should tell the dealer about the 7-pin trailer wiring harness issue so they will replace the TIPM or reprogram it.

can you elaborate on this for me?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 79warlock
The TIPM is the Totally Integrated Power Module. It is nothing new, it's just that it used to be comprised of the power distribution center and front control module. They now are replaced as an assembly and they have no external relays and very few fuses as you have found out.
Any competent Dodge tech should be able to diagnose it in 1/2 an hour.

When I meant that they fail, I am talking about the FCM or TIPM in this case are causing a problem. I personally haven't seen wipers fail yet on the new trucks. I have had to replace a wiper motor due to a bad park switch that would sometimes cause the wipers to wipe twice with out parking.
What is the FCM?

Just curious do you work at a dealer?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:15 AM

Yes, I am one of those evil dealer techs just waiting to break something and cover it up...
The FCM is the Front Control Module. Previous to 2006 it was replaceable separately from the fuse box(FCM and PDC together called the Integrated Power Module or IPM). It is the module responsible for many things such as exterior lighting, horn operation, HVAC blower, wipers, etc...
It uses a bunch of transistors(actually high side and low side drivers) to control it's circuits. This is because they are better controlled(ie they can be turned off in case of short hence no need for fuses) and are self diagnosing(they can set faults for shorts and opens).
Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 PM

well day 4 and now they are replacing the TIPM after the just replaced the wiper motor and that didnt fix the issus?

warlock do you think the TIPM is going to get this resolved?

Is this a one time issue? Or can i expect the new TIPM to give me more problems?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:04 AM

I don't know why they would have replaced the wiper motor, it's just a simple electric part and just needs a power and ground to work. It could have been easily tested by jumpering power to it before it was replaced...
I can tell you that I have replaced 2 TIPMs and many FCMs and have yet to replaced them again. Just keep in mind for the future, you can not put a used one in.