3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

fueling up when running

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't you love it when they use one of the few multi use pumps, then go inside to pay......stay 15 min,. and come out with an armful of groceries. Inconsiderate idiots.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Asher
I never shut mind down when fueling unless I am going to walk away from it. The station I go to has about 30 pumps, 26 of these pumps are gas only and the other 4 are multi use. I usually have to sit there and wait on a line (sometimes a couple trucks long) because the gas cars feel the need to fill up at these 4 instead of using one of the 26 "non diesel pumps" that are empty. So I leave my truck running just to annoy them.... In fact I had one b1tchy lady looked across the pump at me and say "why don't you turn off your truck"... I told her that "I will turn off my truck as soon as people with gas cars stop using the only 4 diesel pumps we have available and start using one of the other 26 that WE can't use"...

I always told the wife, if we ever win the lottery I was going to go down there and pull off the gas nozzles (quick connect) on those 4 pumps, and put them in the dumpster out back every day until I got caught (maybe giving them a hint)...
Amen...

The little town I live in has one station that I trust getting diesel from and at that station one multiuse pump for diesel and gas. Six gas pumps otherwise. Well Ill be if you dont pull up to get diesel and all the gas pumps are empty and some soccer mom with an attitude is at the only diesel pump and takes her sweet ole time and doesnt bother to pay at the pump and leaves the vehicle at the pump and walks in to pay.

Just venting some.... burns me up.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by annabelle
Don't you love it when they use one of the few multi use pumps, then go inside to pay......stay 15 min,. and come out with an armful of groceries. Inconsiderate idiots.
We must have been pecking away at the same time.....

My sentiments exactly!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 AM

I was buying all my diesel at the local Walmart (Murphy). There is only 1 island with a diesel pump and I found it becoming a chore to get in there and use it since it's a multi use pump........and soccer moms galore tying it up.

Then one day I noticed that a Race Trac station, 1/2 mile from my house, had diesel pumps installed on every island. It's your choice....3 grades of gas or one diesel pump at all islands.......I guess 20 or 30 in all. I was shocked! No more waiting.....no more gassers tying up the only island available for Rattle Trucks.

The price is about the same as Walmart.

And, of course......I let the truck idle...

Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Banned

We just got a Murphy's here. It is the best price around (-$00.06). Fortunately, they have about 8 multi use with diesel stations. Just found it.......hope it isn't a promo gimic.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Location: Columbia in the Communist State of Chicago (Illinois)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It happens to me all the time. I fueled up Saturday on my way to work. I pull up to the only multi use pump at the station and wait for the lady at the pump to get done. She gets out of her car and starts yelling something at me. I roll my window down and she tells me that there are many pumps open and there is no reason for me to be parked behind her. I then point out the fact that she is using the only diesel multi pump to fuel up her minivan and there were many other pumps open for her to use. She looked confused, finished paying for her fuel and left. I don't think she really understood what I told her....
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only person that this bothers. Many a time I have griped about one car using the one diesel pump at a store when there were plenty of other gas pumps open. I think they just use them because they are usually on the outside and it's the easiest to pull up to. When I'm driving my gas 1/2 ton, I always make it a point to leave the diesel pumps open and not tie them up. Maybe the world would be a better place if everyone had to drive a diesel for a month.

I've came across a couple that were NOT easy to pull up to, and man oh man they were no fun with that 36' fifth wheel behind me.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM

We have a nice big Exxon here and they put the "auto diesel" around back with the truck pumps. I like it separated like that, it keeps the gassers away from the diesel area. There is one lane for vehicles, 3 or so for trucks and a red diesel island on the end. They should all be like that.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I watch wind blow...

I was pulling up to an island once at (murphy) and there was considerate CTD owner on the other side of the island, as i was pulling in to that particular island a small car pulled in, (many other GAS pumps open) the considerate CTD owner let him know our fueling predicament and the guy was kind enough to move along. that was about the only time i have ever been pleased at the fuel pump.

RAMBUNCTIOUS

Annabelle, where are you located in NM?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 PM

the service stations should post the diesel pumps for diesel only, they are the ones that don't seem to give a
Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 AM

Aside from the stickers posted on all pumps that I've seen saying to shut the engine off, the biggest deterrent is the fine associated with local law enforcement issuing a ticket for an "unattended vehicle". I'll leave mine on standing next to it, but if going in for a drink, I shut it down after a friend of mine got a ticket for just that. Didn't matter that it was secured with locked doors or not.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 PM

I usually fill up at a station that has a dedicated bank for big rigs and diesel fuel. Having said that, I always shutdown.

I think the main danger that people here seem not to be cognizant of, are diesel runaways. The danger in being close to a gas pump is not a spark from your truck igniting gas fumes, but if some gas burner spills some gas and it gets near/under your truck the fumes could cause your diesel to accelerate until it destroys itself in a bomb like fasion.

I've never seen it happen myself but it is a real danger and why anyone near gas pumps should shutdown.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Almost always leave it running. Did have a big rig pull in to deliver gas one time & he asked me to shut it off when he started filling the tanks.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 AM

I never shut mine off hot or cold.