3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

fueling up when running

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know diesels don't throw a spark for combustion. Do you really think with all the mechanical motion going on under the hood, that there isn't the possibility of throwing a spark or at least some static electricity. I know the odds are very small, but is that worth chancing a life when gas pumps are around?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a guy from our shop get fined $1500 two weeks ago filling up at commercial pumps and not shutting his rig down. They usually don't care but it happens.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always let my gas & diesel vehicles run while fueling. Every time. I have never been anywhere that had a problem with that.

First of all, too much wear and tear on the engine.

If running vehicles ignited gas fumes, why don't the vehicles driving all around the pumps ignite the fumes? I mean why should I shut mine off when there are 5 other vehicles driving all around and pulling in and out of pumps? It just doesn't make sense. I have never seen or heard of a fire started by an idling vehicle at a gas station. Not saying it hasn't happened, but I have never heard of it.

By the way, I can't believe a gas station attendant would have the nerve to tell you to shut your engine off while fueling. The ones around here know they would get a serious boot up their *** for that (and probably fired too).
Old 02-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll let mine run in the summer if the wife or daughter is with me, just to keep the A/C going. Some times in the winter to keep the heater going but not as often as in the summer. I have never been told to shut it off though.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leave mine running, never had a problem.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:06 AM

I asked this questions several threads ago and am getting no responses... if you leave it running, how and when do you guys add fuel treatments? Especially if your tank is on empty when you pull into the station. I poured in a small amount of leftover Power Service once (while truck was sitting in my garage not running) and when I started it - it through a code and "check engine" light. The dealership said you can't put additives in and start-up without adding more diesel... too much concentrated PS and no mixing. Are you guys adding this a splash at a time while fueling? No big deal just curious.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM

I pour conditioner and / or 2 cycle and chase with fuel. Never considered any other way no matter what level of fuel was in he tank. No codes or issues otherwise.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:47 AM

I know it isn't the recommended way but I pour in my stanadyne after I fill up. I figure it will work it's way down pretty quick with the way I drive.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Always shut it down. I check my oil every fill up and do a general check over of the engine bay.

I think its pretty rude to leave it running actually. Almost all stations here are covered and if you had two diesel trucks filling at the same time and idling the fumes would get pretty thick. Not to mention the noise.

Its funny how you guys say it only takes a few minutes to fill so you leave it running to keep the family warm/cold. The truck isn't going to change temps that much for the 10min it takes to fill up.

I agree that there are times when its acceptable, such as extreme cold and I mean EXTREME, and I live in a climate where it gets to -30C and even then I don't leave it running for the 5-10min it takes to fill up and my family has never complained.

Maybe if its was JUST fired up and driven to the station would also be acceptable but to make a general habit of it is just inconsiderate to those filling up around you and gives all diesel owners a bad rep.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:28 PM

I never shut down while refueling. I only shut down in the Drive Thru so I don't have to my order. I am deaf in one ear so shutting down helps me as much as it helps who ever takes the order.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:35 PM

Oh I love the sound of idling diesels. The more the better. And those non-cat diesel fumes. I wish I could capture them in an air freshener. When I see a diesel fueling up sometimes I just have to stop and fill up too just so I can hear the sweet music. I am especially partial to 7.3 powerstroke idle tune.

Speaking of drive throughs... Anyone idle at Sonic? I do sometimes but I try to park towards the back end so I am not disrupting everyone parked up front. If the engine is still cold and cranky I will shut it off but when it's warmed up it purrs so smooth and quiet. I have only had a few instances where they couldn't hear me through the intercom. As far as I know they don't mind as I always get smiles when they walk by in front of the almighty cummins roaring away.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by rbox
Oh I love the sound of idling diesels. The more the better. And those non-cat diesel fumes. I wish I could capture them in an air freshener. When I see a diesel fueling up sometimes I just have to stop and fill up too just so I can hear the sweet music. I am especially partial to 7.3 powerstroke idle tune.

Speaking of drive throughs... Anyone idle at Sonic? I do sometimes but I try to park towards the back end so I am not disrupting everyone parked up front. If the engine is still cold and cranky I will shut it off but when it's warmed up it purrs so smooth and quiet. I have only had a few instances where they couldn't hear me through the intercom. As far as I know they don't mind as I always get smiles when they walk by in front of the almighty cummins roaring away.
I shut my 02 off at sonic, but then again i have to or nobody is going to hear anything. With the 05 that I just bought, that freaking thing is so quite I don't really see a need. To me the 03 and up diesels are soooo dang quite I don't see where they would bother anybody.

To the guy talking about enclosed gas pumps, are we talking just a canopy or 2 sides enclosed or what? I'm trying to think of any pumps I've ever been to that weren't open and can't right off the top of my head. That just sounds like a major hazard to me. I've been known to shut my truck (again, the 02) off out of courtesy, but in no way to I see it as un-safe for a vehicle to be at a gas pump while idling. Like someone said, if it's so unsafe we should all thank our lucky stars everytime we don't go boom when someone pulls up or drives away...
Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 PM

I always let it run. A warm truck is worth the 10 cent of fuel it wastes.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 PM

I usually don't shut mine off. Maybe in the summer if I have already driven a long distance and I need to go in for snacks or something.

In the winter i always let it run.

You can throw sparks onto diesel fuel and it doesn't ignite, so I'm not worried about it.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM

I never shut mind down when fueling unless I am going to walk away from it. The station I go to has about 30 pumps, 26 of these pumps are gas only and the other 4 are multi use. I usually have to sit there and wait on a line (sometimes a couple trucks long) because the gas cars feel the need to fill up at these 4 instead of using one of the 26 "non diesel pumps" that are empty. So I leave my truck running just to annoy them.... In fact I had one b1tchy lady looked across the pump at me and say "why don't you turn off your truck"... I told her that "I will turn off my truck as soon as people with gas cars stop using the only 4 diesel pumps we have available and start using one of the other 26 that WE can't use"...

I always told the wife, if we ever win the lottery I was going to go down there and pull off the gas nozzles (quick connect) on those 4 pumps, and put them in the dumpster out back every day until I got caught (maybe giving them a hint)...

Quick Reply: fueling up when running