3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fuel Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Questions

Two questions for you gurus:

During fueling, the diesel foam can vary in color from light green/yellow to white, even from the same station at diferent times. The fuel is also greenish color to clear. Does the color have anything to do with fuel freshness?

I have read a post about a green ball in the fuel tank assembly slowing refueling speed/rate. Where is this ball and how do you "fix" it?

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I have run 4 tanks of fuel with Power Service Diesel Kleen with no performance or MPG increase. I am putting in Lucas additive today to test it. Oh ya, did I tell you I love this truck?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:25 PM

my .02 worth. I have noticed the same thing and my un-offical test results are the greener the better for top fuel economy. The summer fuel is a lot greener than the winter.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:10 PM

The color you are refering to is called a dye. They do signify things but the one to watch out for is red. Do not get caught with red fuel in your truck.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:24 PM

Not to sure if color or the amount of foam you get while fueling has anthing to do with performance. The one indicator is the ceatain (spelling) rating the higher the better. The only problem is most stations do not post the rating on the pump. It is not a federal mandate like the octain rating is. I think some states require it, while others do not.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:24 AM

quite wasting your money on fuel additives,so far as trying to improve fuel mileage.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:00 PM

i tryed the Power service silver bottle,,,used 1/2 a quart in fisrt tank,,,nothing ! second tank i used the other 1/2 quart,,but i used differnt fuel,,got 2 mpg better mileage,,and guess what? i noticed the stuff was very dark green,,got it at PILOT,, gonna get my fuel there from now on,,,,,,,,,,,,this was on a long interstate trip,,used the first tank and half the 2nd in one day
Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 PM

fuel color

The difference in color has to do with the refinery that distills the product. Around this area (Oklahoma) Valero makes a very good grade of fuel that is clear, looks like moonshine, Gary-Williams wynnewood refinery sometimes has almost a blueish tint to it, and the fuel that comes from Alon at Big Springs, Tx. will have a green tint, sometimes almost looks like anti-freeze. All are good fuels.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:59 PM

fuel color

I forgot to mention the red color is a dye to signify the presence of high sulfur X5 (from the refinery) or to indicate any non-tax farm, offroad fuel (at the rack for delivery to the sales point). All red diesel is non-tax and so if it is in your tank, the tax commision takes a dim view of that situation.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Color of fuel has nothing to do with the quality - period. Anyone who had better experience with one color of fuel is simply aa coincidental occurence. It's simply dye.

As far as a ball in the tank slowing fueling, not sure about that. There is an improved vent kit for sale in the TDR classifieds that will help you fill those last few gals in a lot faster though.

Don't expect any fuel mpg increases with additives - and I'm the first person to tell you to use them. I use them for three main reasons - water dispersal, anti-gel, and lubricity. The stabilizers, detergents, and cetane improvers are a nice side benefit.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:49 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

kind of along the same subject. i usually buy my fuel at a local truck stop along the freeway. i figure that they have a high turnover rate on the diesel fuel. not much chance of getting "old" fuel. i very rarely frequent regular "gas" stations as i don't think the diesel is rotated as much.

i could be wrong though

britt

Old 02-21-2005, 12:56 PM

There is definitely a concern with buying truly 'old' fuel, as it can sit and collect moisture etc. This is mainly an issue with stations that are out in the country, who may keep the same fuel for weeks/months at a time.

I have personally done fuel analysis testing on a few local stations, including one truck stop that sells a huge volume(constant) of diesel. Amazingly the truck stop had by far the highest sediment/particulate content - actually 7 times more dirt per gallon than one of the other local stations.

Point I'm making - a busy station does not always ensure good fuel. Fuel quality is highly dependent on your particular station's tank maintenance - how often they drain their bottom water, how often (or if they ever) they change their filters, etc.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Lightman
I have personally done fuel analysis testing on a few local stations, including one truck stop that sells a huge volume(constant) of diesel. Amazingly the truck stop had by far the highest sediment/particulate content - actually 7 times more dirt per gallon than one of the other local stations.

Point I'm making - a busy station does not always ensure good fuel. Fuel quality is highly dependent on your particular station's tank maintenance - how often they drain their bottom water, how often (or if they ever) they change their filters, etc.
The fact that it is busy could very well be the problem. I would guess a high turnover ensures fresher fuel, but also ensures sediment is constantly stirred up.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:28 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by Lightman

point taken. didn't give that much thought.

i guess i've been lucky and haven't had any problems yet.

britt

Old 02-21-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by kry226
The fact that it is busy could very well be the problem. I would guess a high turnover ensures fresher fuel, but also ensures sediment is constantly stirred up.
I'm not sure if that's the case. The filters in this particular case were the external type, Cimtek 10 micron nominal. They were kinda rusty looking, which to me suggested the station owner/manager hollowed out the filter and screwed it back on - hence no filtration. The lab also speculated microbe contamination but I didn't run that test. 21 million particles smaller than 10 microns per gallon vs 3 at the other station. Hello INJECTORS!!??
Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

the filters were probably not hollowed out, the filter bracket should have a bypass valve.

Quick Reply: Fuel Questions