3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fuel gauge registering very S-L-O-W

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel gauge registering very S-L-O-W

Anybody having problems with their fuel gauge registering very slow when adding fuel? For example, say its got 1/4 tank- I stop and add say $10 of fuel- takes it 3 or 4 miles down the road before it shows up on gauge...

I read about a TSB to fix this, but sounded like the dealer would have to re-flash the PCM to fix it.. I guess I'll put up with the slow gauge. I'm a little skiddish of a computer reflash??? Looks like a reflash might open you up for additional problems?

Anyone else had the flash done? Did everthing work ok after the flash (i.e. same fuel mileage, same power, etc, etc.)
Old 01-08-2004, 02:39 PM

The flash shouldn't hurt anything else.....It may actually help you. I get the check gauges light from time to time, but haven't had mine flashed.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:57 PM

I had that problem, also guage stuck on 7/8 for a long time. They put in a sending unit, and that didn't fix it so they reflashed, and I had no problems afterward. Dealer has since contacted me about the TSB and asked if I want to bring it in for a re-flash which I think I will because guage is sometimes slow to respond. I had no ill effects after first flash, so don't anticipate any this time, unless they changed something since the TSB. Service Mgr. informs me that the flash reprograms the software that makes the guages translate what the engine and computer are telling each other
Old 01-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Banned

Some time after fillup for the fuel gauge to move is normal. There is an anti slosh module that will buffer the reading. Mine takes about 2 or 3 miles after I fill up to read full. This prevents the fuel gauge from moving when cornering or climbing/decending hills. FWIW
Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 AM

FWIW, I wouldn't worry about the reflash.

- They don't install/remove anything, no worries about loose screws, misaligned parts.
- The new software is as well tested, or better tested, than what you've got now.
- The "life" of the flash memory won't degrade from being reprogramed a time or two. Depends on the type of flash, but if nothing else it won't hurt.
- The OEM's *WON'T* allow anything to change other that what needs to be fixed. They are very strict about this.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by stevenknapp
FWIW, I wouldn't worry about the reflash.

- They don't install/remove anything, no worries about loose screws, misaligned parts.
- The new software is as well tested, or better tested, than what you've got now.
- The "life" of the flash memory won't degrade from being reprogramed a time or two. Depends on the type of flash, but if nothing else it won't hurt.
- The OEM's *WON'T* allow anything to change other that what needs to be fixed. They are very strict about this.
Sounds like the Ferd site..
Old 01-09-2004, 04:58 PM

In the case of recalibrating the ENGINE to fix some major issues. Then yes. Quite a bit more complex. Plus it raises the question, why didn't they get it right before shipping the product?

In theory they should always be able to revert you to the previous cal, but from the Ford info I've seen that does not seem to be the case. Honestly I think there is more going on there than meets the eye. Panic, insanity...

In the case of the dash fix, I wouldn't worry about the update. It's a pretty simple device. The update should only affect the dash. The way the describe the problem (communications issue) makes perfect sense. My educated guess is that it was a pretty simple change to make the comms in the dash a bit more robust.

Work in the automotive industry, have a pretty strong communications software background. I've made mistakes that would result in that sort of behavior. Often simple things that behave normally 99.99% of the time but in the end just aren't right.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:02 PM
cp

Are you leaving the engine run while fueling? If so, this is normal and not just for Dodge. Fords do it, too.