3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

fuel conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The truck stops usually have both, have a truck stop near you?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:34 PM

Truck stops in Montanna-yes. Alberta??
Old 05-27-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TurboTed,

Did you ask at the Automotive counter at Wally-World if they carry PS at that location. Maybe it is a Canada thing with different goods.

I have probably been in 10 or more Walmarts on saw the Power Service in the auto dept.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:13 PM

I see posts where a lot of guys are adding stuff to every tank of fuel. Should this really be necessary for a $40k truck??? If it is, then something needs to be changed.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not so much the $40k truck but the crappy diesel fuel. The HPCR is sensitive to the quality of the fuel. If the US would adopt the European standards for diesel fuel we wouldn't have to add additives. Biodiesel would be a good start.

MikeyB
Old 05-28-2005, 09:52 AM

The additives sound interesting. I may consider the 3:1 Power Servive and Marvel MO.

My question is, can these addtives damage the CTD? I'm a little skeptical with my new truck and don't want to damage anything. I've also still got 3 years of warranty that I do not want to jeopardize. I'm still a newbie to the diesel arena, so please be patient with my newbie style questions!!

Thanks guys!!
Old 05-28-2005, 02:12 PM

Baja Man, Many of us use the mixture described and only have gotten good results. I have never seen a complaint on any of the Dodge Diesel sites about any problems caused by these additives. Really, any good diesel additive would be fine, we here on this site seem to prefer the Power Service/MMO. I think it may have been 45 Auto who either came up with the mixture or at least mentioned it on this site.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:32 PM

I phoned 3 of the nearest WallyWorlds. I talked to the automotive dept. One sold STP only. The other 2 didn't even sell diesel conditioner.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:16 PM

I went to the Cummins store to pick up oil and fuel filters today. They are selling a product made by Howes called Meaner Power Cleaner. It claims 4.8% fuel economy improvement, 65% reduction in injector deposits, 35% increased lubricity, 80% Emissions reduction. OK- I bought some to try it. It says it contains petroleum distillates. It is " rated superior by Cummins L-10 Test specifications". Contains No Alcohol, sulfur or ash. (Has anyone else used it??)
Old 05-31-2005, 08:03 PM

additives are like vitamins, they probably don't hurt anything,but there is no factual proof that they help.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 PM

I agree to a point Hamma.You can't believe everything you read. But- I had a '98 Chevy 6.5 Turbo. I used stanadyne in it every fill. I had the original injector pump when I sold it at about 100000km. Not much for a diesel, but... if you owned a 6.5, you probably went through at least one pump in those miles, unless you used a good conditioner EVERY fill.(Stanadyne built those pumps by the way.) I know one guy who went through 5 pumps by 50000k! You can hear the difference with the MMO in my brother's truck. Anyway, I'll give this stuff a try and let you know. Still wondering if anyone else has tried the stuff??
Old 06-01-2005, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm running a mixture of PS/MMO. Mileage is about the same as running straight PS. But the engine is very smooth and quiet.

MikeyB
Old 06-01-2005, 08:48 AM

I use the Power Service/MMO mix and it does seem to help with mileage and quiets the engine down a bit. My son uses the Meaner Power Cleaner in his 99 3500 and he swears by it. My feeling is that any quality additive will give better lubrication and contribute to the longjevity of the engine. And in the unlikely case that it does nothing, it at least gives me piece of mind.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:59 AM

wally world? did u guys see Clark Griswald when u when there? . i had to say something, come on, a 2 page thread and nobody says nothing about? well i hope no one tied the dog to the bumper before u left for WallyWorld

ok, on topic now. anyone here add a gallon of new or used oil to there fillup? any thing to note?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:25 PM

At May Madness, this year, we were given a seminar by the local (Las Vegas) certified Bosch repair facility. They sell Stanadyne products. What he had to say, though, was very interesting.

If you live on/or near the West coast, you may be getting diesel refined in California. That fuel is Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel. It is VERY dry. Other parts of the country may be getting ULSD, also. I've heard Texas is producing & distributing it to select areas, also. We were told that it is really hard on these new fuel delivery systems and the older ones, also.

Their shop carries Stanadyne but, he said that whatever you do "Use Something" for the additional lubricity.

Another interesting note was, if there is a large military base with a lot of aircraft on it, near the city in which you live, be extra careful about the diesel you use. It seems that, these bases test the jet fuel before use and if it does not meet their standards, it gets distributed to the local econony for use a diesel, after additives are introduced into the jet fuel. Apparently, though, not enough additive is put in or is not evenly distributed throughout the entire batch of fuel and we end up with extremely dry fuel. Jet fuel is very dry.

Bosch Hqts. notified all of their shops of this because they were seeing a noticable increase in fuel injection system repairs in some areas where they have these military installations.

The Bosch Rep. made it pretty clear that you want to definately add some sort of lubricity to your fuel. However, I don't believe motor oil, especially USED motor oil, was on that list.

Joe F.(Buffalo)

Quick Reply: fuel conditioner