3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

front mud flaps rubbing tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front mud flaps rubbing tires

Hey guys, I just put flares and mud flaps on my 06 quad cab and the front ones rub when the wheels are turned. . . the reason I put them on is because on dirt roads the rocks where shooting up and chiping my paint. I do have a leveling kit and oversized tires which I am sure is why they rub the front mud flaps. Is there an alternative that will work? And if not will the wheels rubbing the flaps put much where on the tires? What have others done?

thanks,

Jared

2006 2500 Quad Cab 4x4, 48re, LB, Laramie.
3500 miles and ticking
Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 AM

any thoughts???
Old 05-24-2007, 02:30 PM

Only other thing id suggest, is pulling them off and getting your rocker panels Line-Xd, or whichever flavor of the month bedliner is the best at the moment...

Maybe try Power Wagon(or other aftermarket) fender flares.

I think the flares/line the rockers will be your best bet.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I for one would pull them off. Then agian I wouldn't have put them on in the first place. A cheaper solution then spray liner would be to find those clear vinyl overlay rocker covers. I believe Performance Products and I think Cebella's sells them for the leading edges of the hood and fenders, so I also believe the rockers can be covered.

James

President of the Anti-MudFlap Association of Southern California
Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 PM

I have the same problem and had it on my last truck. No tire wear that I ever noticed. For solutions I have seen a small chain from the mudflap back to the rocker which is silly looking, or a narrow thin strip of stainless attatched to one of the bolts holding the mudflap on. Put a slight bend rearward on that strip and it holds the mudflap back a little if they are not too stiff. Since I have yet to do either of these, and need mudflaps with our roads, I just live with the little bit of rub.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:46 PM

Thanks for all the input. I think I will just live with a little rub as well. I have been thinking that maybe if I hit the flaps with a heat gun I can bend them back and get them to have a slight bend in them. Anyone ever tried it and if so did it work?

thanks again,
Jared
Old 05-26-2007, 11:41 AM

I get a lil' rub, but only on my passenger side flap.....2" REVTEK leveling kit, Mickey Thompson 315/70/17 Baja MTZ's....

My '07....

I ground down the flap a bit & drove in an extra screw, it helped some. I hope as the tread wears down I'll get no more rub.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JPR Ram
I for one would pull them off. Then agian I wouldn't have put them on in the first place. A cheaper solution then spray liner would be to find those clear vinyl overlay rocker covers. I believe Performance Products and I think Cebella's sells them for the leading edges of the hood and fenders, so I also believe the rockers can be covered.

James

President of the Anti-MudFlap Association of Southern California

I am not knocking the clear product at all. I worked with it for a long time and sold it to a ton of Cadillac owners when I was working for a dealer. The problem is, on a vehicle that is driving on dirt roads or going off road all the time, a rock hits the vinyl, vinyl tears (small as it may be) and after a while you are replacing it. If you are on dirt roads a lot, spray on liner the rocker panels is going to be your best bet.