3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Front end Squeak - Dealer Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end Squeak - Dealer Question

I took my truck into the dealer about 1k miles ago, a little while before it turned 36K miles (warranty).

I have a front end squeak, and have had it since I bought the truck with 7k miles.

At around 33k miles, I put a leveling kit and new shocks on the front end. The squeak is still evident, not any worse, but still there.

When I took the truck in, they blamed it on the aftermarket shocks. However, it obviously has nothing to do with the shocks or spacers because it did it beforehand.

My question is this: Now that I am out of warranty, I am S.O.L. for having them do any 'free' work, even though I reported the problem beforehand, correct? Or is there a chance I can take it back in and have them re-check a pre-existing problem?

As for the problem: It is a minor squeak, hard to describe. It almost sounds like two interior panels rubbing together, but it's not. It's in the passenger front of the truck, and you only hear it at low speed on MINOR bumps. Anything that causes the steering or truck to 'shimmee' a little bit - that causes the squeak. It seems like side to side movement sets it off. Any ideas what to look for?

I think if I could pin-point it, I could go back in there and show to them that it is not my shocks causing the noise.

Thanks
SQ
Old 04-04-2006, 11:06 PM

IM guessin SOL. Dealerships suck
Old 04-05-2006, 09:39 AM

Why does the dealership suck?

I wasn't clear if he reported the squeak at an earlier visit. But even if you did it shouldn't matter.

The warranty covers defects for the duration of the warranty. Once you are out of warranty it becomes your responsibility....technically. If someone has an ongoing issue that started during the warranty, sometimes they will give you assistance outside of warranty as good will.

But just because you identify a problem within warranty doesn't automatically extend the warranty for that issue indefinately.

Not trying to be negative or defend the dealer, but it seems that many people think the OEM and dealer are always at fault.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:01 AM

Might be a long shot, but easy to check. I had an annoying squeek up front nobody could find, 'cept me. It was the hood rubbing on some plastic. Open the hood and look for some wear underneath the front of it. If you see wear adjust your hood stops.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by LanceK
Why does the dealership suck?

I wasn't clear if he reported the squeak at an earlier visit. But even if you did it shouldn't matter.

The warranty covers defects for the duration of the warranty. Once you are out of warranty it becomes your responsibility....technically. If someone has an ongoing issue that started during the warranty, sometimes they will give you assistance outside of warranty as good will.

But just because you identify a problem within warranty doesn't automatically extend the warranty for that issue indefinately.

Not trying to be negative or defend the dealer, but it seems that many people think the OEM and dealer are always at fault.
because a lot of problems are considered "normal". Ask all the Chevy people with piston slap. A gas motor sounds like a diesel and dealerships say its normal I go for warranty work but never anything else
Old 04-05-2006, 02:19 PM

LanceK,

This particular instance was pointed out to the dealer once when I had it in there for warranty work at the last minute, 35,800 miles.

I had to use the truck that weekend for towing, so I couldn't complain when I got it back and they said "We're sorry, your squeak is caused by your aftermarket shocks". Bull - that squeak has been in the front ever since I bought the truck, and actually got BETTER when I put the shocks on.

They didn't want to listen to it, and I couldn't leave it there for them to re-think about checking it over before I signed any paperwork. All they did was drive it, confirm the noise, look at it and noticed the shocks/spacers, and jumped to a conclusion - nothing more, I know that for a fact.

This particular dealer is crap - it sucks, but it's the only one I could get to during my day. The service rep was quick to make jokes about how I was knit-picking the truck. I told him if he wasn't given a discounted dodge neon to drive, and actually had to pay for a $43K sticker truck - he would do the same.

The other problems were as follows:

-Wind Noise on passenger side from upper door area (still isn't 100% quiet, but better)
-Weatherstrips on both doors
-Door Panel rattle on passenger side (again, not perfect - but better)

I literally can not STAND dealerships, ESPECIALLY for warranty work. They always try to find a way around the problems you are having with your vehicle. They could at least investigate a little bit prior to jumping to conclusions. If I find that this problem is something simple or DEFINITELY not shock/spacer related, and I can prove it, I'll be taking it back to the dealer and complaining. It's pretty bad when you have 1 year free oil changes and you don't even want to utilize them because you don't like the service or the work the dealer does.

Shinerunner,

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

One other thing I noticed about the noise - it gets a bit louder on really dry days. I assume this is normal for most squeaks as the materials rubbing together have nothing to supress the noise...just thought I'd add that in there.

SQ
Old 04-05-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShawnQ
LanceK,
-Wind Noise on passenger side from upper door area (still isn't 100% quiet, but better)SQ
I get this noise when I have the driver side window cracked and the A/C on recirculate. As soon as I put the selector on vent, the noise goes away. Tells me I have a crappy seal on the passenger side at least. I think I'll try and see if the driver side seal will sing on the way home.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SolarExpress
I get this noise when I have the driver side window cracked and the A/C on recirculate. As soon as I put the selector on vent, the noise goes away. Tells me I have a crappy seal on the passenger side at least. I think I'll try and see if the driver side seal will sing on the way home.
They supposedly adjusted the door on mine, according to my work order. The bolt heads didn't have any scuffs on them or missing paint, so they probably did the 'easy' fix.

One guy stands and holds the door between the door and the cab. The other guy pushes as hard as he can on the top side of the door, hoping to bend it ever so slightly to create a tighter closing door, better fit. Gotta love it.

SQ
Old 04-05-2006, 05:31 PM

LanceK,

This particular instance was pointed out to the dealer once when I had it in there for warranty work at the last minute, 35,800 miles.

I had to use the truck that weekend for towing, so I couldn't complain when I got it back and they said "We're sorry, your squeak is caused by your aftermarket shocks". Bull - that squeak has been in the front ever since I bought the truck, and actually got BETTER when I put the shocks on.

They didn't want to listen to it, and I couldn't leave it there for them to re-think about checking it over before I signed any paperwork. All they did was drive it, confirm the noise, look at it and noticed the shocks/spacers, and jumped to a conclusion - nothing more, I know that for a fact.

This particular dealer is crap - it sucks, but it's the only one I could get to during my day. The service rep was quick to make jokes about how I was knit-picking the truck. I told him if he wasn't given a discounted dodge neon to drive, and actually had to pay for a $43K sticker truck - he would do the same.

The other problems were as follows:

-Wind Noise on passenger side from upper door area (still isn't 100% quiet, but better)
-Weatherstrips on both doors
-Door Panel rattle on passenger side (again, not perfect - but better)

I literally can not STAND dealerships, ESPECIALLY for warranty work. They always try to find a way around the problems you are having with your vehicle. They could at least investigate a little bit prior to jumping to conclusions. If I find that this problem is something simple or DEFINITELY not shock/spacer related, and I can prove it, I'll be taking it back to the dealer and complaining. It's pretty bad when you have 1 year free oil changes and you don't even want to utilize them because you don't like the service or the work the dealer does.

Shinerunner,

Thanks for the info. I'll look into that.

One other thing I noticed about the noise - it gets a bit louder on really dry days. I assume this is normal for most squeaks as the materials rubbing together have nothing to supress the noise...just thought I'd add that in there.

SQ
Well if you pointed it out that recently I believe they should give it a shot and look at it.

I'm sure it varies by OEM, but most don't deal with "squeaks and rattles" beyond 12k/12months. It would be tough to stay in business having $80 an hour techs chasing squeaks and rattles for 3 years.

Also remember that it is not always up to the dealer on what they can look into since the OEM defines what they will pay warranty work on. The above example of 12/12 would be one. If you come in at 25K and the dealer tech spends 2-3 hours on it, he won't be submitting a warranty claim. So that just cost him $2-300 dollars. Of course dealers can do things on their own dime to satisfy customers etc.

Again, not trying to pick sides but many people seem to think OEM's and dealers have bottomless pockets and they simply don't.

My favorite is "I bought a $40K dollar truck, I think I should get a $40K truck for a loaner every time I'm in for service". A completely unreasonable and unrealistic proposition.

Have you had regular service (read customer pay) i.e. oil changes, rotations, done there?

If so they will be more likely to go above and beyond.

Of course if they are just a crumby dealer stop doing business with them and bring it somewhere else.

The market will determine if they're any good.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
because a lot of problems are considered "normal". Ask all the Chevy people with piston slap. A gas motor sounds like a diesel and dealerships say its normal I go for warranty work but never anything else

Every situation is different of course.

I'm not sure how piston slap on a Chevy figures into this situation but the dealer doesn't make the vehicle. Maybe piston slap was considered normal by Chevy. The dealer can only go by what the OEM says in that case.

A real bummer of a situation, but that's when you sell it and buy another brand I guess...
Old 04-05-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by LanceK
Well if you pointed it out that recently I believe they should give it a shot and look at it.

I'm sure it varies by OEM, but most don't deal with "squeaks and rattles" beyond 12k/12months. It would be tough to stay in business having $80 an hour techs chasing squeaks and rattles for 3 years.

Also remember that it is not always up to the dealer on what they can look into since the OEM defines what they will pay warranty work on. The above example of 12/12 would be one. If you come in at 25K and the dealer tech spends 2-3 hours on it, he won't be submitting a warranty claim. So that just cost him $2-300 dollars. Of course dealers can do things on their own dime to satisfy customers etc.

Again, not trying to pick sides but many people seem to think OEM's and dealers have bottomless pockets and they simply don't.

My favorite is "I bought a $40K dollar truck, I think I should get a $40K truck for a loaner every time I'm in for service". A completely unreasonable and unrealistic proposition.

Have you had regular service (read customer pay) i.e. oil changes, rotations, done there?

If so they will be more likely to go above and beyond.

Of course if they are just a crumby dealer stop doing business with them and bring it somewhere else.

The market will determine if they're any good.

I had my first few oil cahnges/rotations done there, free, with a coupon I received when I bought the truck. I was unhappy with a few items (dirty seats, poor cleanliness under the hood, etc.) I took it to another dealer last time, with a bit more pleasure - but still, I think I'll do it myself. The only thing I like about the dealer is the 'proof' that it was done - big point if reselling.

I can understand the 12m/12k deal. But, these trucks are prone to Ball joint problems, and I am wanting to make sure this is not the case. There is also problems with the track bar and steering box if I remember right - I don't want any of them, and wanted it checked. They saw my white shocks, realized they weren't OEM, and blamed it on them.

I think I may have found my problem. Will post the results later after driving it a bit.

Thanks for the info.

SQ
Old 04-06-2006, 11:19 AM

Shawn...sounds like a crumby dealer.

I hope you get everything worked out.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:23 PM

I had a very similiar squeak in my 2000 and have since fixed a lot of trucks with this same scenario.

Let me guess you have an automatic transmission. (If not then I am way off and an idiot!)

I bet you have never tried taking your trans out of "D" while driving on a bumpy road. If you were to put the shifter into "N"... WOW the noise vanishes.

The squeak is caused by the collar of the shift linkage around the steering columb. This is a very easy fix and costs you pennies to repair. Simply take a can of lube and spray the collar on the steering shaft under the hood up by the firewall. work the shifter from Park to First to get the lube into the collar.

Now upon comletion of this multimillion dollar rebuild, test drive the truck to the same dealer and show them how stupid there ASE Chrysler technicians really are.

Lets face it folks these kids they hire at the dealers I hope never become my heart surgeon.

Let me know how it all turns out.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your way off and an idiot. DR body has a steering column from a different vendor. Apples and oranges.

signed,

stupid chrysler tech.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:02 PM

I took my truck into the dealer about 1k miles ago, a little while before it turned 36K miles (warranty).

I have a front end squeak, and have had it since I bought the truck with 7k miles.

At around 33k miles, I put a leveling kit and new shocks on the front end. The squeak is still evident, not any worse, but still there.

When I took the truck in, they blamed it on the aftermarket shocks. However, it obviously has nothing to do with the shocks or spacers because it did it beforehand.

SQ
The way I see it is this You made changes to the front end and now you have a problem. If it is around what you changed then they should not fix it.
If it is something else then they should fix it under warrenty if you had in in to be fixed and the job was taking more time then went out of warranty..
Just because you talk to them 1,000 miles ago does not mean they need to fix it, if so everyone would carry the trucks in and say I got a problem with XX and want you to know so if the XX goes out in a year or two I want you to fix it. Did you go in and talk to them about the problem and ask them to look or did you take the truck in and say you want this fixed under warranty you had it in 1000 mile ago to look at?
The old thing "if you play you need to pay" I think is in line.

Eather way you are over 36k and they do not need to fix.
I know a lot of people do what you did and some work out ok and some don't but it was your choice to lift it and make the changes.
My 96 I did the same thing and in no time I had a lot of noise up front and killed track bars along with other stuff. I then went back to stock tires and lift then went 80k more with no problems. (I sold it) That was the only thing that changed so it must have been what I changed in the first place.
Why would it kill the front and make noise? The lift changed the angle of the bars and put more stress on the front parts then it was designed to by people that make a lot of money. That is why people that lift them want long arms.
The other part Dealers can be your best friend.
I deal with people all the time that are real nice getting things done for me and others say how bad they are.
LIke I have been back in many shops thet they don't let you in, you never see anyone that is back with the truck being worked on in these shops and I have had friends told to "get out!!! " but I walk back.
THe way you treat them is the way you want to be treated in life if you act like they don't know whaaaat they are doing or you don't trust them then they will treat you the same way. This may not be your case but I wanted to say it. To many people just say dealers Suck!! or Kids OR Losers.
People are how you treat them. One dealer on the old on walked out to me and said it sucks to have you truck in for a recall in 6k miles why not take my new CTD and we will get this done tonight even if I nend to do it..
That is service!!!
Next time he took a part off his truck to fix mine.
That is killer service.
Thats all I want to say other then If you play you need to pay.

Jon

Quick Reply: Front end Squeak - Dealer Question