3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Front end clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
"California Style"

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Front end clunking noise

Has anyone heard or had the following issue?

When turning left into a driveway from the street at a 45 degree angle, I hear a clunk noise when the right front tire hits the bottom of the driveway apron. Going slow or fast doesn't change it; seems like something in the suspension? Doesn't make any noise making a right turn into the driveway front the street and doesn't make any noise coming from the driveway making a right or left into the street. Maybe a sway bar bracket touching something at the right flex? Track bar? New truck only has 700 miles. Just curious if this is somewhat "normal" for these trucks or I should put it on my list of things to ultimately have checked out and/or monitor...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went through this and it was low anti-freeze in the coolant resorvoir ... believe it or not. Worth a look ... pop the hood and roll the truck back and forth and check it out. I couldn't believe how loud of clunk it made either.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 AM

My 06 dies this only at low speed and only if it is wet out. Like turning sharp when parking etc... I am pretty sure mine is the track bar. Dodge tightened one of the bolts a while back and it helped, but it is back...

Bryan
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
"California Style"

It kind of sound something like a track bar or sway bar link. Something hitting something or shifting. I checked the coolant which is on the driver side and it is good. The noise comes from the passenger side.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 PM

Mine started that the other day, but it did it either way I turned, and was quite loud. I got under it while the wife turned the wheel. It was my track bar mount on the driver side. The bar would pop left and right. I really torqued the bolt and it has gone away. Still worries me though, as the hole must be stretched for it to be able to move.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine does the same thing and seems to be getting worse. it now does it over alot of sharp bumps not just turning into the driveway any more. sounds like the passanger side also...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mega-engr
It kind of sound something like a track bar or sway bar link. Something hitting something or shifting. I checked the coolant which is on the driver side and it is good. The noise comes from the passenger side.

The coolant resorvoir is on the drivers side in your truck? You mean they changed it in '07 ? My '06 is right up against the firewall and fender on the passenger side and if you rock the truck back and forth with your hands the coolant sloshes around and "bangs" on the top of the resorvoir. And if the level is just a little below that blue line they draw on there the bang is so loud in my truck it sounds like I have a 2x4 dangling underneath banging off the under-carriage. lol I spent a long time trying to figure that one out ... never thought sloshing coolant would be so loud inside the truck. Found the tip on this site actually.

And btw, what an '07.5 ? Did they not have the 6.7 in early '07 ... is that what the .5 is ?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 PM
"California Style"

Originally Posted by Mopard
The coolant resorvoir is on the drivers side in your truck? You mean they changed it in '07 ? My '06 is right up against the firewall and fender on the passenger side and if you rock the truck back and forth with your hands the coolant sloshes around and "bangs" on the top of the resorvoir. And if the level is just a little below that blue line they draw on there the bang is so loud in my truck it sounds like I have a 2x4 dangling underneath banging off the under-carriage. lol I spent a long time trying to figure that one out ... never thought sloshing coolant would be so loud inside the truck. Found the tip on this site actually.

And btw, what an '07.5 ? Did they not have the 6.7 in early '07 ... is that what the .5 is ?
That is really weird about how loud that sounds on your truck... Yep they must have changed it for the new motor because it is on the driver side next to the radiator. the 1/2 is because the truck was built in June. They've had a lot of computer issues and program changes and I think this is the biggest difference and necessitates the 07.5 (less problems on those computer wise than the 07's). Yes, they had the 6.7 in early 07 and a decent amount of issues.

I think I've read that the track bar system on this truck isn't the best and that lifting it (or maybe even stock) they have better bars, bushings, etc.

Thanks all for the thought about the track bar. I'm going to check it's tightness for sure and see if it goes away. My truck is new and makes this noise (if this is the issue) so your "older" trucks aren't necessarily worn out... They probably come from the factory with extra "clearance" and maybe not as tight as they should be? Maybe they should have the oil filter crew working on the chassis? They'd be really tight then
Old 11-01-2007, 10:46 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mega-engr
Has anyone heard or had the following issue?

When turning left into a driveway from the street at a 45 degree angle, I hear a clunk noise when the right front tire hits the bottom of the driveway apron. Going slow or fast doesn't change it; seems like something in the suspension? Doesn't make any noise making a right turn into the driveway front the street and doesn't make any noise coming from the driveway making a right or left into the street. Maybe a sway bar bracket touching something at the right flex? Track bar? New truck only has 700 miles. Just curious if this is somewhat "normal" for these trucks or I should put it on my list of things to ultimately have checked out and/or monitor...
Your description fits the track bar end link problem. But 700 miles is way early for it. To check go under and hit both links with the side of your fist and listen for a clunk. Mine gradually got worse and worse until I finally ordered a set. Then I found only one was bad. It first showed up at my driveway bump and then on the highway over pavement cracks and stuff. Also, it is the same with the brakes on or off.

John
Old 11-01-2007, 11:57 PM
"California Style"

Thanks Raspy for clueing me in and letting me know where and how to check. 700 miles is too early for any wear. I'm thinking something is loose there or it is just that way from the factory and I'm being too **** about it. It only happens at a peculiar time going up the driveway bump from a certain direction and angle.

Good news is that the rate I put on miles, I'll have 3 years from the end of August to get it fixed for free; assuming it gets worse and I can't figure it out...
Old 11-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Make sure and check the front shock bolts (both top and bottom).
I had a strange noise that would only appear when driving through a dip or drive approach.
I found that the top shock mount nut on the shock stud was loose allowing the shock to move around causing the clunking noise I was hearing.
My truck had less than 1000 miles on it.
Good luck.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:23 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I found a clunk in one of my rear shocks too. The bolt is a loose fit in the bushing sleeve and unless the nut is VERY tight, pinching the sleeve, it clunks as the shock compresses and extends.

John
Old 11-04-2007, 12:43 AM
"California Style"

Thanks again guys, that makes some good sense and I'll be checking the shock mounts for sure. Just got to find some time to crawl under there and see. Hopefully I'll narrow it down and eliminate potential causes tomorrow...
Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Just a follow-up on this topic. I had been having this problem on my 06... This past spring the dealer tightened the track bar bolt which fixed it for a while.

Started again and I told Dodge if tightening the bolt again was the fix, i wanted to know the torque spec and why it was loosening...

They ended up replacing my track bar under warranty...

no more clunk...

bryan
Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They say the only dumb question is one that's not asked, so why do I feel dumb asking this question?

What and where is the track bar?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Front end clunking noise