3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fox Acoustic Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox Acoustic Box

Ok sub experts got a question for you.

I'm going to purchase the Fox Sub Box, which is sealed.

Now looking at the many sub choices i've narrowed it down to JL subs.

My question is this. The Fox Box says it has an internal volume of 1.8 cu ft. The two subs I would like to go with are the JL 10W3 or JL 10W6. The JL W3 requires a sealed box of .625 cu ft. The JL W6 requires a sealed box of .625 cu ft. Will both of these subs work for this enclosure? Or is the magnet on the W6 to large?

Here is the sub box:
http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductD...=DQC%2D210%2DS

here are the subs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136106V...D4.html?tp=111
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610W3...-4.html?tp=111

BroncoHound you out there?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:55 PM

A friend has the foxacoustics box and 2 JL 10w6 and it sounds great. I would go with the w6 over the w3. my .02
Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Man i cant answer that exact question but I made my own fiberglass enclosure which is thinner than a wooden or molded plastic enclosure and fit 2 alpine type r 12"s in there, but to get them to fit I had to put the back seat up on about 1.25" spacers. There's still plenty of head room and i actually think it makes the seat a little more comfortable for people with long legs. I didnt look at the enclosure design you picked, but if its possible to make some spacers to put under the lips of the subs, that could be a little insurance if it looks like it'll be close.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:59 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The cut-out on the box is 9.125, the W6 requires 9.75

The depth of the box is 7.5, the speaker requires 6.9375

Unfortunately they don't give Magnet size in the specs, as far as volume, I wouldn't worry.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM

The depth of the box is 7.5, the speaker requires 6.9375

- Does this pose a problem? I would think not since the speaker is smaller.

The cut-out on the box is 9.125, the W6 requires 9.75

- According to the website you can make the cut out larger since you can go up to 12's using the same box. If I remember from my last car, the subs come with a cut-out model/diagram.

I believe the box does come with spacers. I know i've seen some people use washers to give the seat "lift". I really would like the W6's but am afraid they won't fit or sound/perform correctly.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
In all honesty, in a sealed config the best set up would be the W3 on a JL 500/2. The Fox Box is hands down the best box on the market. I had one of the original ones made, got rid of it when I got my mega, should have kept it just in case.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 PM

i have the ported one for 10s it is bad *ss best sounding box i have had and have had a few in my days
Old 03-14-2009, 06:49 AM

I have the sealed one with JL Audio 12w3v3, and a JL Audio Slash 500/1 amp. Sounds good, but I've got nothing to compare it to. I'm using the Kenwood DNX8120 to power my Pioneer door speakers, so I just turn the bass down to match. I could use more highs and mid bass, so I could turn up the woofers, but I'm sure I'd be deaf in a week.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sctsnpr
Ok sub experts got a question for you.

I'm going to purchase the Fox Sub Box, which is sealed.

Now looking at the many sub choices i've narrowed it down to JL subs.

My question is this. The Fox Box says it has an internal volume of 1.8 cu ft. The two subs I would like to go with are the JL 10W3 or JL 10W6. The JL W3 requires a sealed box of .625 cu ft. The JL W6 requires a sealed box of .625 cu ft. Will both of these subs work for this enclosure? Or is the magnet on the W6 to large?

Here is the sub box:
http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductD...=DQC%2D210%2DS

here are the subs:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136106V...D4.html?tp=111
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610W3...-4.html?tp=111

BroncoHound you out there?
Right here! Sorry Im late!

The 10w3 and 10w6 will both fit in the Fox Box. No worries. If you decide to run the 10w6, just let Joe Fox know that is what you plan on putting in there and he should hone the openings out for you. The Fox Box also comes with spacers included (4 of them in case you have the 60/40 split; if you have the solid rear bench, you only need 2 of them).

My recommendation would be to run the 10w3's on a sealed enclosure. The w6 line operates better with vented space (and REALLY come alive when mounted as an infinite baffle). That doesn't mean the w3's sound bad in a ported enclosure (that's what i've got in my father's rig and, unless i come across a real deal on the w6's, what will go in mine as well) and it certainly doesn't mean the w6's will starve for air in the sealed enclosure. Just that the w3 line is designed to work better in a sealed space and the w6's like having LOTS of air.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions and I don't respond, feel free to PM me. Semper Fi.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
Right here! Sorry Im late!

The 10w3 and 10w6 will both fit in the Fox Box. No worries. If you decide to run the 10w6, just let Joe Fox know that is what you plan on putting in there and he should hone the openings out for you. The Fox Box also comes with spacers included (4 of them in case you have the 60/40 split; if you have the solid rear bench, you only need 2 of them).

My recommendation would be to run the 10w3's on a sealed enclosure. The w6 line operates better with vented space (and REALLY come alive when mounted as an infinite baffle). That doesn't mean the w3's sound bad in a ported enclosure (that's what i've got in my father's rig and, unless i come across a real deal on the w6's, what will go in mine as well) and it certainly doesn't mean the w6's will starve for air in the sealed enclosure. Just that the w3 line is designed to work better in a sealed space and the w6's like having LOTS of air.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions and I don't respond, feel free to PM me. Semper Fi.

Exactly...

Thats what I said, well in a few less words...
Old 03-15-2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out exactly how i'm going to build this one with the music I listen to being mostly hard rock with very fast double bass (Joey Jordinson from Slipknot) to some Pink Floyd to whatever my wife's pop music taste of the week might be... I'm really looking for fast response.

This is what I have planned so far, please note any flaws in my plan:

- Have ordered RAAMat to cover all the doors both outer skin and inner door panel, and floor.

- Have ordered from Q-logic the kickpanels enclosures.
- Have ordered the sealed FoxBox
- Have the Alpine 9886 already installed with 4 volts per pre-amp output.

Looking at ordering:
Alpine 500 x 1 @ 4 ohms or 1,000 x 1 @ 2 ohms amp for the subs
Alpine 100 x 4 @ 4 ohms for midbass and tweeters
2 Farad Cap
2 JL 10 W3's
2 JL 6.5 woofers for midbass in kickpanel enclosure
1 Focal 6.5 VS line components for doors
1 JL 3.5's in the front upper dash running off the radio
Prob leave the back doors running off the radio and stock for now

Again, sound quality and staging is my goal, not everyone hearing me in a 6 block radius.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you've got a good handle on a pretty darn good SQ setup. Be careful if you ever use your parking brake once the kickpanel enclosures are installed, and make sure the grilles to your mid drivers are attached properly.

Also if you have enough RAAMmat double layer the floor, especially at the firewall. You'd be surprised how you won't have to crank anything very loud to hear it clearly if you can cut out the vast majority of road and engine noise. This makes a particularly large improvement if you ever listen to talk radio, as you won't have to turn it to headache-inducing volume levels in order to hear the caller speaking.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 AM

I'm hoping I do for SQ. Thanks for the advice on the RAAMat. I ordered 125 sq ft of it, with 6 yards of Ensolite so i'm hoping thats enough to almost double everything. I don't plan on doing the headliner.. I do plan on doing the the defrost cover that seems to squeek..

I have a pretty trick amp setup that i'm going to do and will post pics once i'm done. Involves modding the middle top of the back seat.

I do have a question I know you can answer. How did you mount the 6.5's in the driver door? Did you just drill new holes, or build a trim ring and attach it to that? That is my one area of concern. I was thinking of building the trim ring out of wood, but then I think i'm going to have clearance issues. I don't mind cutting the grill off the door, just trying to avoid it. I have been known to get a little too happy with the dremel.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:53 AM

I agree with Bronc, your well on your way to a seriously bad **** system. One sugguestion I may make, stick with JL amps at least for the subs. If it were me, Id go with a 500/2v2 for subs and a 300/4v2 for midrange.There quality is outstanding and even better their performance and sound quality is second to none. If they are set properly, not just tuned "by ear" you would be amazed at what they can do. Setting them the correct way is easy and outlined thouroghly by JL in the manuals. Its amazing what you can learn just with a little reading, for years I just bought stuff and threw it in my truck and turned a few ***** till it sounded ok. When I bough my new system took the time to read all the docs, set it properly and was completely blown away.

Im like you, Im not into the DB drag races, I love sound quality and the w3's wont dissapoint. Mine play so low and still retain that "perfect" note I am still sometimes shocked. BTW you got great taste in tunes. Love Corey Taylor. Nothing like when that double pedaled bass kicks in and starts rumbling through your chest. One of my fav songs to listen to in my truck is KSE's My Curse, man it just sounds so good and clean and pounds like nothing else. Rock On!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 AM

Check these out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6x9-6...CarQ5fSpeakers

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Speaker-Adapte...4.c0.m14.l1262

Been a long time since I tore the door off of a 03-05 but If memory serves me right there were the exact same mounting system as 98 -02 and 06-09. The above links show a different mount for 03-05, but to me the 06-09 would work and probably work better.

Bronc... lil help here?

Me Id just order both, not that big a cost compared to what you have invested already and you seem like the type of person that likes things done neat and correct.

Cant wait to see what you come up with for the amp mounts.

Quick Reply: Fox Acoustic Box