3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Found an 06 for sale...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found an 06 for sale...need opinions

Heres the description:

Regency conversion, CM flatbed, 4x4, 48re, Lone Star edition, loaded, new tires, leather, 135,000 miles, $19,800

I was told the truck needs nothing and interior is flawless.
Found an 06 for sale...need opinions-06-lonestar-flatbed.jpg

Found an 06 for sale...need opinions-lonestar-flatbed-2.jpg

Found an 06 for sale...need opinions-lonestar-flatbed-3.jpg

Found an 06 for sale...need opinions-lonestar-flatbed-4.jpg
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM

Looks good and doesnt sound like they are trying to screw you over. Do you plan to convert it to a pickup truck bed? Any way i would find out more about it. Like is the turbo in good shape? HOw is the transmission, stuff like that.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM

I would definitely leave the flatbed on it. I love having a flatbed. I will check the turbo for play and see how the trans shifts if I can test drive it before it sells.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like this truck has made it thru the wars, maybe with the mileage on it.

When you drive it at low speed see if it hunts between 1st and 2nd. There is a TSB for a replacement of a Solinoid Valve

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2007/21-009-07.htm

A/C Howls instead of blows air. Recir door. Search here 3rd Gen. Door will break and fall into the fan causing loss of air to the vents.

Number 4 injection line breakage. Search here 3rd gen. Caused by loose line bracket.

Anti Freeze leak from the short hose behind the turbo. Runs down and drips from the tranny inspection cover. You'll swear your tranny is leaking.
Seach Tranny leaking 3rd gen.

I just bought mine on the 27th of June. I had the anti freeze leak, the Solinoid valve thing, (still needs to be fixed), and the A/C Recirc door problem.
So far #4 Injection line is doing OK.

Spend some time on the 3rd gen site and look around. There are some other things as well. There are some really good detailed post on these subjects.

Dave
Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM

Thanks a lot Dave. Great info! Are any of those fixes expensive or just a complete pain in the butt?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 AM

The tranny part is about 60 dollars on line. I've ordered a deep tranny pan with fins and will replace when I do the pan change out.

The A/C thing, remove the clove box, remove the motor, reach up there if the Circ door is broke, turn it sideways and pull it out thru the hole were the fan was. Or, have it fixed at the dealer. New improved part, lots of labor money. This is covered really well on this site. Pick almost any thread dealing with A/C problems and it will lead you to it. This is one link, there are at least
10 more on this web site.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...m-t243627.html

The injection line is cheap, hard to find due to demand. Keep a spare in the truck because if it goes, your on the side of the road. Good thread here on this subject.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...e-t247239.html

The hose leak

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=172387

Dave
Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 PM

Im not sure what the bearing life is on an 06, but i had to rebuild my brothers 2001 turbo @ 120000 miles. Find out if the tires have been replaced or not, and when the last oil change was, little stuff like that can make or break a good daily hauler.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Check the ball joints to see if it has grease zerks in it(if it does may still have original ones in it) and check all the steering linkage to look for signs of damage or wear. Basically I would crawl under it to look the under side over for any thing out of the ordianary or damage.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MOAGGIE
Basically I would crawl under it to look the under side over for any thing out of the ordianary or damage.
That will give the salesmen a good laugh, but i probably would too. Id check the driveshafts @ the joints for cracks, wear, etc. Any way, it looks like a solid truck and you probably know what to do. My 06 had 56547 miles on it and was solid as a rock. I would buy it if i needed it or wanted or i had 20000$ layin around.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:14 AM

Haha wish I had 20K layin around! I will be selling/trading truck in my sig for it. Hate to get rid of it b/c it only has 97K miles on it but I NEED a back seat!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Never was much of a fan of SRW flatbed pickups.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by mudwisr2
Haha wish I had 20K layin around! I will be selling/trading truck in my sig for it. Hate to get rid of it b/c it only has 97K miles on it but I NEED a back seat!
Well trade it while it still had warranty. But you can really get more power out of an 06 than you can an older truck like yours. A flat bed looks good, just get a couple tarp straps and you can pretty much haul anything you can a pickup bed.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeramit1
Well trade it while it still had warranty. But you can really get more power out of an 06 than you can an older truck like yours. A flat bed looks good, just get a couple tarp straps and you can pretty much haul anything you can a pickup bed.
I was planning to put a flatbed on whatever my next truck ends up being. I like the way they look and you cant beat the functionality.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Seams like a lot of money for that many miles doesn't it? I was thinking about selling mine with only 30k on it and I think market is only like 26,000 or something in todays market.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 AM

I have to agree. I like the truck and if you really like it I would get it but try to talk them down a little with the milage being you reason. It would cost quite a bit to purchase and install a flatbed like that but it probabley hurts the market value if anything. That should work in your favour if anything. Also if its a dealer I would try and haggle them as much as possible as I guarentee they would notgive you that as a trade in. If its some guy selling his baby due to unfortunate circumstances I may be more respectful. Also, I would be concerned that the bed may indicate that it was used for heavy hauling for a good part of its life in which case it could need a tranny soon. A rule of thumb that I try to follow when considering a high mileage vehicle is to take the price I would pay for it with low miles then deduct the price of a major repair say a new tranny or a major engine repair (although the bottom end of the motor would be of little concern)and keep that money in a savings account so if something goes wrong I'm not caught off guard. Also depends on what you plan to do with it as well. Just remember todays market is a good market to be buying and a lousy one to be selling. Reguardless of what you decide best of luck and stick around here Im sure you will receive alot of good advice on fixing and preventing any potential problems.

Quick Reply: Found an 06 for sale...need opinions