3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ford owner Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford owner Inquiry

Let me start by saying Hello to the crew here. I have a few questions and I do understand that you all are current Dodge owners and your opinions may be biased, But from what I can see, some of you have switched from a Ford so you have been on both sides of the fence.

I currently own an 04 PSd CC LB 4x4. All the bells and whistles ford has to offer. I changed the whole front clip to the 05 look and took the rear bench seat out and added rear captains chaires. Also 12" lift on 38's dual front shocks and dual steering stabilizer, Track bars, Amp powersteps. 5" exhaust,airbox, SCT tuner. 57K miles. I just installed a new trans and the only other probs I have had with the motor is it does puke coolant when I really put the power to it and it burns up EBS sensors every 5-6 months.

With all that said, I owe 24K on the truck. I am thinking about switching to a Dodge/chevy.The only reasone I like the chevy is due to the interior layout and smooth ride The mota/trans doesn't seem like a bad combo either. The downfalls to the chevy is they are ugly in my opinion and they cost a ton to lift. I like the Dodge because of the mota (cummins) and the look. I am not sure how they ride lifted or what they cost to lift. Ford (as much as I love them) is out of the question for diesels in my book for now. What would you all do? Should I keep the Ford longer? Will I take a bad beating trying to sell it? What does it cost to lift a dodge and how much does it cost to make good power around 500/550hp. How do they ride Lifted? Thanks for your help and I love the site so far
Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 AM

hounddog I to owned a 04 power stroke for 6 months I loved how smooth it shifted the cab space etc etc I thought it was the best truck in the world tell it was in the shop every month leaking oil, gas gauge went out and a lot of other problems. To my understanding there is 60 service bulletins on the 6.0 that is why in 07 they are changing the motor. I lemon lawed my ford then bought a duramax and lemon lawed that then I bought a F150 had it about 6 months and realized I neeeded a diesel. So I went back to the ford dealership they had a truck like my old 04 but a 06 I drove it and I loved it but I was again second guessing myself saying to myself I dont want any problems. I went home to sleep on it on the way home I stopped at dodge figured I have had everything else why not. If they didnt have the mega cab I dont know what I would have got. Well need less to say last week I purchased my first Dodge and so far I love the truck it is crystal red it has the cummins and it is a slt package with tons of room and lots of storage. I hope this helps you make the right choice and good luck with your next truck.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:29 AM

Thanks for your info. There is no doubt that ford is hard to beat on the space of the crew cab. Now with the Mega Cab that dodge has it is the only way I would want it. What was wrong with your Chevy?? and was it diesel?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It dawned on me about 1yr ago...when buying a truck (250/2500 or bigger), you are buying the motor. There may be some related issues that may influence your decision, but you are essentially buying a vehicle that will be capable of hauling a load. To do so, you need a capable and reliable motor. For most of us weekend warriors, when HP crossed 250 and tq crossed 400, there was plenty of power for whatever we need.

I was tried & true Ford for the longest time (~30yr)....until they botched the 6.0 I was really looking forward to the technology used on the 6.0....and watched the problems mount & how the factory handled warrantly claims. I was totally dissappointed. The release of the 04, 05, and now 06 have improved, but not by enough to satisfy me.

The only problems (other than things like taste & opinion) I have heard of on the 06 Dodge are infant mortatlity....things like injectors that fail in the 1st 10-20k miles. There have also been issues with the AC, but not as much as the '05s.

I also do not like what I have been hearing about the posi unit in the 11.5" rear: Essentially it is useless. I'll be waiting for ARB to release an air locker.

I do like that DC has finally worked out the exhaust brake with the Auto for '06, with Tow/Haul & 4th lockout. They are also offering bucket seats, 6 disc stereo, etc. These features along with the engine are what pushed me over the edge.

In the meantine, my '06 3500 is on order, due early March.

HTH

Tony
Old 02-07-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hydrillahoundog
Thanks for your info. There is no doubt that ford is hard to beat on the space of the crew cab. Now with the Mega Cab that dodge has it is the only way I would want it. What was wrong with your Chevy?? and was it diesel?
Hounddog it was a diesel and it was injector problems they never wanted to replace them cause they couldnt duplicae the problem..
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by TonyB
I was tried & true Ford for the longest time....until they botched the 6.0 I was really looking forward to the technology used on the 6.0....and watched the problems mount & how the factory handled warrantly claims.

The release of the 04, 05, and now 06 have improved, but not by enough to satisfy me.

The only problems (other than things like taste & opinion) I have heard of on the 06 Dodge are infant mortatlity....things like injectors that fail in the 1st 10-20k miles. There have also been issues with the AC, but not as much as the '05's.

I also do not like what I have been hearing about the posi unit in the 11.5" rear: Essentially it is useless. I'll be waiting for ARB to release an air locker.

In the meantine, my '06 3500 is on order.

HTH

Tony
Tony sorry I dont understand what you said about the posi unit in the 11.5" what does that mean?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:52 PM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.
I currently own an 04 PSd CC LB 4x4. All the bells and whistles ford has to offer. I changed the whole front clip to the 05 look and took the rear bench seat out and added rear captains chaires. Also 12" lift on 38's dual front shocks and dual steering stabilizer, Track bars, Amp powersteps. 5" exhaust,airbox, SCT tuner. 57K miles. I just installed a new trans and the only other probs I have had with the motor is it does puke coolant when I really put the power to it and it burns up EBS sensors every 5-6 months.

With all that said, I owe 24K on the truck...
Sounds like you have a done a lot to your truck and like everything except the engine. Have you thought about just transplanting a Cummins into what you have? Lot's of folks have done it. There are whole companies that specialize in it. I don't know what it costs, but you might be money ahead.

We'de still let you hang out with us.

100 Proof
Old 02-07-2006, 07:25 PM

I was a Ford man for 17+ years (and get A-plan pricing). Had an 01 V10 F250 for 3 trouble free years and 60k miles and traded it for an 04 6.0L F250 4x4 crewcab Lariat.

In the six months and roughly 10K I had it the turbo hose blow off, leaking glow plugs replaced and leaked again, bell housing leaks, violent shakes and stalling when braking or stopping, severe turbo lag, and the PCM was reflashed. After numerous trips to the dealer nothing seamed to improve so I traded it for my 04.5 QC 2500 4x4 SLT cummins.

I've now had my Dodge for 18 months and 36K miles and had to have the front door seals replaced, a leaky steering gear box replaced and a shredded serpentine belt replaced. All of that was in the first 8K and since then no problems at all. Every time I drive this truck I get a huge smile on my face and look forward to driving it for many more years.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 100 Proof
Sounds like you have a done a lot to your truck and like everything except the engine. Have you thought about just transplanting a Cummins into what you have? Lot's of folks have done it. There are whole companies that specialize in it. I don't know what it costs, but you might be money ahead.

100 Proof
That thought did cross my mind and would be awsome. I just figured it would cost more then getting a new rig. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Thumbs up

I too was a ford guy (although not as long as some, only about 10 years). I had a buddy at work was a ford guy and he bought a 2001 CTD and told me he would never go back. I did my due diligence and obviously ended up with my CTD. The extra space of a true crew cab would be nice, but heck I dont sit back there. When I was a kid 5 of us rode in a beetle and dont remember complaining. I had wanted a diesel for years and cummins is synonomous with diesel so the choice was easy for me. I traded in a 97 f-150 that was probably the best vehicle I had ever owned; had a 152k at trade in last year with only problems being an AC leak and a #1 plug wire issue. I still believe ford has the best AC system but my CTD is adequate. When I say adequate I live in AZ so that is probably "awesome" most places. My brother had an 04 f250 6.0 and had nothing but problems so his issues really pushed me away when deciding to by a diesel. I have 16k on my CTD and my only complaint is the driver seat could be more comfortable, I can feel the seat pan on the sides. But hell thats not DC's fault its McDonalds'. First year impressions: runs great (knock on wood), looks great, 17mpg city, 20-21 hiway, bone stock and more power than I need. I have a million mile motor on a truck in a dry, snow and salt free environment in AZ, I will surely get my money's worth.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 100 Proof

100 Proof

That thought did cross my mind and would be awsome. I just figured it would cost more then getting a new rig. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Superduty is a member of this forum. He did a CTD transplant in his SD. Nice clean install. Do a search. I'm sure he can help you.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:03 PM

i had a 03 and 04 6.0 liter f-250. the 03 was in the shop 43 days in 11 months. trans out twice and the engine removed the second time the trans was taken out looking for cause of rear main seal oil leak. traded it in on 04. with 300 miles the truck died. it had a failed injector. at 2000 miles had to have the steering gear box replaced. the 04 never idled correctly. i traded it on a 05 dodge 2500 cummins. i love it. i bought it with the 315 bfg's. at 11000 miles i got the death wobble BADDDDD. the dealer put on the oem 265 bfg's and no death wobble yet. i love this truck.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2006 MEGACAB
Tony sorry I dont understand what you said about the posi unit in the 11.5" what does that mean?
Just search this site for "TracRite"

Old 02-08-2006, 04:45 PM

I also had an 03 Ford 6.0, that i just traded for an 06 CTD. Loved the ford but spent more time in the shop than on the road, finally had my last straw with it when the same 2 injectors went bad that were just replaced last winter , amongst many, many other problems. I use my truck each and every day during the summer for business, and the ford was costing me lots of money, so it only made sense to buy a dodge with the most proven and reliable engine on the market right now. Yes i too was a very LOYAL ford fan, until my last run in with them on the 6.0, until they pull their head out of their butt, i will be driving dodge. I only have 1k on my truck, but love it, pulls like a freight train.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.
Originally Posted by Jonesey
Superduty is a member of this forum. He did a CTD transplant in his SD. Nice clean install. Do a search. I'm sure he can help you.
Superduty has not been hanging around here much lately. I think he is spreading the love at another website these days.

100 Proof

Quick Reply: Ford owner Inquiry