3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

in floor center console swap to flip down one mounted in dash help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in floor center console swap to flip down one mounted in dash help

i have an 06 ram with an in floor center console that has the three drink cup holders in it that are located next to the shift lever for the transfer case. i hate having those drink holders on the floor.

is it possible to swap my in floor center console to the one that flips down out of the dash, then can be folded back up to sit flush with the dash?

if it is possible wat parts are needed as far as brackets or parts?

if anyone has link to someone who has done this conversion or pics of it that would be much apprecaited. thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 AM

It probably can be converted, but I don't think it will work if you have the transfer case shift lever mounted on the floor. I believe the drink holder would hit the lever.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:22 PM

It has been done before but I don't know the part #'s. underneath the console the carpet has big cutouts on my truck.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 PM

my 03 1/2 ton had the flip down cup holders and a Manuel shift x-fer case
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM

thanks zuki dan, i was hoping someone had seen or heard it done before. i believe they make these trucks kinda universal so i would imagine it could be done with just a few parts. i planned on putting a dodge small floor mat, to match the ones in the back seat on where them carpet pieces are missing, but i would think i could get a small piece of carpet close in color and cut to size that would fit flush under the floor mat where them cutouts are.

i know i will have to purchase a new t-case plastic cowling, the flip down drink holder, maybe a backing piece to fit under dash? i asked dealer about swap and they said it couldnt be done. but they were the same ones that said they couldnt get my tranny to slip and told me it was fine.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM

It won't work in your 06. The 03-05 dash is different and the cup holder flip down is off to the passenger side so it fits. However, in the 06 and up dash the cup holder is too wide and will hit the 4x4 shifter.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 PM

I have an auto in my 08' but it still came with that sucky center console thing. Those cup holders really blow. One of the other 2500's I was looking at when I bought this one, had the flip down cup holders. Other than that I didnt see any difference, and was thinking of doing the conversion too. Did I mention those center console cup holders really blow?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 PM

could a guy shorten the 4x4 shifter, well i know i could but would there be any disadvantage to having a really short shifter?

or could i put a bend in it so when the flip down drink holders were out the 4x4 shifter would be off to the side towards the drivers legs..would this work?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:57 PM

There's one for sale in my local Craigslist. Brand new...
Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 PM

Why do you want weak flip down cup holders? You go over a rough road and the flip down cup holders will launch your favorite beverage. If you have a manual you will find that your shifter will hit the cup holders anyway, so you are better off with them on the floor.

At least we have them. I heard European cars made for parts of Europe do not come with cup holders due to the Autobahn and driver awareness/safety.

Shawn
Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM

i like the clean look when it is flipped up into the dash...also when i have a person sitting in the middle they can put there feet there when the cup holders are flipped up.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by p0wd3rp1l0t
i like the clean look when it is flipped up into the dash...also when i have a person sitting in the middle they can put there feet there when the cup holders are flipped up.
Kinda the point. When someone sits in the middle front with the crappy floor console, they don't have any place to put thier feet.

P.S. The floor console cup holders aren't adjustable, and don't hold my cans of Red Bull very well. Kinda irratating when they spill on the carpet.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyDawg
Kinda the point. When someone sits in the middle front with the crappy floor console, they don't have any place to put thier feet.

P.S. The floor console cup holders aren't adjustable, and don't hold my cans of Red Bull very well. Kinda irratating when they spill on the carpet.
mine are... its an 03. my last truck was an 03 1500 with flip down and they were adjustable.... just like my current floor mounted holders
Old 09-13-2009, 04:47 PM

i been doing a lot of research the last couple weeks and heres wat i found on fold up cup holders vs in floor console cup holders

pros-
clean cut look when folded up
room for person's feet that sits in the middle
easier to keep clean sinced floor mat will be installed

cons-
will only have 2 cup holders vs 3 that i have currently
will lose options of putting stuff into the little plastic cubby containers
will have to modify 4x4 shift selector to fit around flip down cup holders, which will cause a reduction in drivers side knee/leg space

plus i figured it would cost about $200 from dealership for parts unless i could find them online, junkyard not really an option pretty rural where i live not too many newer rigs in any of them. ebay might be an idea but i cant really justify changing wat i have to the flip down cup holders, since i came up with just as many cons and pros...anyone wanna add there input?