3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

flip face DVD - will it hit top of dash?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
flip face DVD - will it hit top of dash?

about to dump the infinity system & watch some TV.

will an indash flip up face hit the "eyebrow" looking part of the dash?

just wondering if the dash will hold the DVD panel at an akward downward angle.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A buddy of mine has the Alpine unit and it doesn't hit. Not sure if they open differently though.

John
Old 08-10-2004, 08:02 PM

Pioneer or someone makes a real sweet one thats also a GPS unit. I need to dump my infinity system too. I'm tired of having one speaker working. when you do it let me know what you ended up using in the door. By my mesurement theres only about 2-3/4" depth for a 6x9 befor it would hit the glass. Dumb setup if you ask me.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Captain
Pioneer or someone makes a real sweet one thats also a GPS unit. I need to dump my infinity system too. I'm tired of having one speaker working. when you do it let me know what you ended up using in the door. By my mesurement theres only about 2-3/4" depth for a 6x9 befor it would hit the glass. Dumb setup if you ask me.
Not sure about some of the other brands of 6x9's, but I bought a set of Kenwood KFC-6969ie speakers. They are a perfect fit. I had a set of Pioneer's that were way too deep. If you wanted to get creative, you could always make a plate out of 3/4" MDF or a similar material to increase the depth of your speakers. I just went with the Kenwoods because they were minimal hassle and sound much better than the stock speakers. I didn't have the Infinity's though...just the cheap paper cone junk.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Pioneer unit referred to is the AVIC-N1. There are some folks in TDR that have put them in, so I doubt if they'll hit the dash. You can get them new from ebay all day long for about $1500. They have a lot of cool features including an input for a camera. It's on my Xmas wishlist. But, I believe you'll lose the steering wheel controls with it.

As for watching the DVD while driving . . . I heard of a recent case where a guy was watching a DVD while driving and took out a whole family. He's now facing murder charges. I don't know any of the details of the case. If anyone has a link to a story, please post it.

Neil
Old 08-11-2004, 01:41 PM

Iv'e got the Pioneer 910 system with DVD and GPS. I had the Infinity system, so I kept the speakers in and used the Pioneer head unit with the Infinity amp. The sound quality is alot better than with the Infinity head unit. One thing I don't like about the new AVIC-N1 is you can't keep the GPS disc in and play a CD or DVD. As far as watching a DVD going down the road, I don't do that! Although my wife might.
Stick

P.S. The screen is adjustable, so it won't hit the dash.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:51 PM

Will be installing the AVIC-N1 this weekend. Dang thing comes with a 124 page Operation Manual. Unit looks sweet, will let ya'll know how it goes.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:34 PM

There is a case out of Alaska involving a trucker who took his eyes off the road for a moment to look at his dash dvd and ended up killing two people
in a collision. Some states prohibit the player to be mounted in view of the driver. Personally, I don't see the big draw of having one in your auto unless you're trying to entertain the young'ns. I guess talkin to one another is out of style
Old 08-12-2004, 03:47 AM

The "Trucker" was driving a "Pick-Up", not a semi. I do not know his occupation, but being a "Trucker" myself, I would never think of doing something as stupid as that. And I believe that a VAST majority of "Truckers", feel the same way.

I deal with enough idiots talking on their phones, reading, makeup, WATCHING TV, etc., etc., etc..... These people are dangerous. I don't want to fall into, or be placed in that camp.

Mike
Old 08-12-2004, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just the same, it's only a matter of time before all tv/dvd screens are nationally banned from the front seat or at least within view of the driver. I have never seen a law written that applies only to stupid people.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will be installing the AVIC-N1 this weekend. Dang thing comes with a 124 page Operation Manual. Unit looks sweet, will let ya'll know how it goes.
Do you have the radio controls in the steering wheel? I would sure be nice if those could be incorporated as well.

As for watching DVDs while driving . . . there's not that much distinction between that and watching a GPS map. They both have audio tracks that go with the video but it is tempting to look on occasion. As I understand it, the AVIC-N1 has circuitry to detect if the truck is moving and blocks DVD viewing from the front LCD.

Neil
Old 08-12-2004, 11:09 AM

Actually, from my understanding, there are laws on the books regarding tv screens in motor vehicles. As far as I know, it only applies to commercial vehicles.

And, I didn't mean to get defensive, I just hate how the media characterizes us truck drivers. Believe me, there are some real loons out there, but all stats show that we are the safest drivers on the road. Even AAA did a study, but supressed it, because it did not give them the desired results. It made the trucking industry look good for a change, but they needed to make us look bad for their particular legislation they were trying to ram down our throats.

Mike
Old 08-14-2004, 02:08 AM

NJ I do not have the steering wheel controls and yes there is a block (switch) that prevents the DVD from being on when truck is moving. Actually the parking brake has to be set for DVD to work. I can however have a rear passanger monitor working so the kids can watch a movie or play video games.