3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.
View Poll Results: Which bags are the ones?
Firestone
40.63%
Pak Brake
31.25%
Carli Long Travel
21.88%
Air Bag
6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Firestone vs Pak brake vs Carli vs Air Lift bags?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone vs Pak brake vs Carli vs Air Lift bags?

So I suppose this has been a topic of much discussion before, but I searched and didn't come up with a lot of info other than people saying that they are the ticket for towing. ( I searched the whole 3rd gen section, not just one particular sub-forum in it).

I'm trying to figure out which ones to get, and what the heck, I included a poll, but would rather comments please!

The firestones seem to have the highest capacity from what I have been able to find but like the Pak Brake bags need 5psi when not in use and you are not supposed to jack from the frame with either (I found if you do, firestone recommends dropping the pressure to 0 for it, but still not recommended)

I also found the Carli bags have the longer throw on them allowing up to 12" of suspension articulation, but at $850 vs about $300 or less for the firestones, and a lower capacity, is it really worth that.

I have searched the net a good bit too looking for places to buy and there don't seem to be a lot out there except for the firestone bags. They seem to be everywhere, but the controllers (ei adjustment switches ans what-not for in the cab) are not.

I intend to set it up with a compressor (I'll then use that for the future train horn too ) and in-cab controls for inflation and deflation.

I also have not seen a kit yet that offers an auto-level feature (although I dunno if I'd want it, it would depend on how if functions I suppose).

Most of the installs amongst the first three listed seem to be pretty similar, but I have not found anyone mentioning the Air Lift brand. Any reasons why?

Can we condense a bunch of air bag know-how and insight into one thread for future reference, or am I in the wrong section?

Anything else worth mentioning that I left out would be great too! Thanks for any and all insight.

I have a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler I recently picked up that I am now carting around. That's the reason I am asking....

(sorry for the long winded post)
Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by nodakbassmaster

I also found the Carli bags have the longer throw on them allowing up to 12" of suspension articulation, but at $850 vs about $300 or less for the firestones, and a lower capacity, is it really worth that.

I also have not seen a kit yet that offers an auto-level feature (although I dunno if I'd want it, it would depend on how if functions I suppose).
Just curious about the "lower capacity" comment about Carl's LT bags. Not saying it's true or not, just haven't read that before.

I love my Carli LT bags. They maintain the suspension travel/articulation that I gained with their full leaf springs. I think they're a great choice when you go with their softer replacement rear springs, since they squat a bit more under load than the OEM springs.

IMHO they're great for towing..although my toy hauler isn't a 40 footer.
If you have DRW, the additional travel may not be worthwhile for you.

I'm running an Air Lift Wireless setup. I've heard good and bad things about this system. I only recently installed it but so far I love it. It won't do auto-leveling, but it will automatically maintain any pressure you set. And I didn't have to run any wires into the cab. But I don't think its the best choice if you want to use the compressor for anything other than airbag inflation.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 AM

in my searches, I came across something that said the capacity of the Carli's was under 3K while the Firestones and Helwigs (seem to be the same as the Air Lifts) are up to 5K lbs, the Pak Brake bags have even less info that I have found... still lookin though

I did a quick internet search and didn't come across the add, but it was the only one of a dozen that even mentioned capacity for the Carli LT bags...

not bashing, I was just going off the info I found, Carli's website doesn't bother to list it, at least not that I found!

EDIT: since my sig doesn't seem to be showing up in this post (at least not for me) I have a SRW 3500... I use it for hunting and fishing and when the POS is broke and I can't ride the bike, it's my daily driver too...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too am researching and trying to decide which way to go. I don't have a lift... yet, but with a lift kit the Carli's would seem to be the most prudent choice in my opinion. With no lift, I will most likely go with Firestone.

Firestone has an auto level add-on accessory kit. Scroll down towards bottom of page on link below..

http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...A5183A0A0.aspx

Firestone also now has a wireless control kit too. jump go up a level to "air suspension near top of page and looks through the results.

The Firestone accessories seem like they would work with anybody else's stuff for auto level or wireless control or vice-versa on the Airlift wireless control.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Firestone's installed on my '08, and use them when pulling my Keystone Energy 26 foot rv/toyhauler. Makes the ride much nicer, both loaded and unloaded, compared to stock.

It's my first set of bags so I have nothing to compare them to except a stock suspension. I run mine at 15 pounds unloaded, and 80 loaded, and it rides better than my '06 2500.

My only complaint with the kit is with the compressor and tank. The compressor is a small nylon piston unit and the tank it only 2 gallons. Airing up my bags takes a bit longer than I'd like because I have to wait for the compressor to refill the tank about 3/4 the way through airing up one bag, then waiting for it to top off, and then repeating this same thing for the other side.

The compressor/tank issue will be fixed this summer with a larger tank and a better compressor for a set of train horns I'm putting on my truck.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 AM

this one may be long. i'm interested in this topic as well. i hate hooking up to a trailer and having the rear lower than the front. right now i'm leaning towards the firestone since they've been around the longest and i hear a lot of good things about them.

what do ya'll think about this kit?

http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/to...o-dually-1.htm

i like it because it would take care of a few issues i have. one, i have HORRIBLE wheel hop. i just have to let the clutch out if i am on any kind of dirt or sand or if the road is wet. two, i already plan to get a air spring kit for the extra load, so this would take care of that as well. lastly, i have this annoying squeak coming from one of the rear bushings on the driver side and i can't seem to get it to go away. granted, the last one isn't that big of an issue, but the other are more important. yeah, its a lot more expensive than the other kits listed but i wonder how well it will work. they say its rated for 10k. so the questions is this, how much load do the say the factory springs are rated for? that way you can tell whether or not these are that much more than the stock springs w/ air helper springs.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by nwflyoda
i hate hooking up to a trailer and having the rear lower than the front. right now i'm leaning towards the firestone since they've been around the longest and i hear a lot of good things about them.

i like it because it would take care of a few issues i have. one, i have HORRIBLE wheel hop.
I'm pretty sure Carli's LT airbags are custom made by Firestone.

I think your wheel hop is an issue that airbags aren't the solution for.
You can go the ladder bar route, or get better shocks.
I had bad wheel hop stock. Once I upgrade to my Carli setup, the wheel hop is gone. I'm sure other setups would also work well. (And no, I don't run ladder bars.)
Old 02-17-2010, 05:39 PM

in my searches, I came across something that said the capacity of the Carli's was under 3K while the Firestones and Helwigs (seem to be the same as the Air Lifts) are up to 5K lbs, the Pak Brake bags have even less info that I have found... still lookin though
Just found some info for this.
Carli's online brochure/price guide lists "An additional 2500 lbs. load capacity" for their airbags.

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/online-catalog/
Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM

Pac all the way!!
Old 02-17-2010, 06:52 PM

I used AirLift B4 I found the Pac Brake bags. Was replacing the AL bags about every years(80-100k mi) the pacs have been on 3 yrs now with around 150k and not a issue. I liked that they have more wire in the side portion of the bag. JMO here.
As for a auto leveling device. I think Firetone makes a kit for that, but hit a big truck junk yard and get one off a semi. Works off same priciple and hevier duty as well. Not sure on the Firestone kit, but the ones off a semi are adj. on the dump/fill position. Good luck
Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by pronstar
I'm pretty sure Carli's LT airbags are custom made by Firestone.

I think your wheel hop is an issue that airbags aren't the solution for.
You can go the ladder bar route, or get better shocks.
I had bad wheel hop stock. Once I upgrade to my Carli setup, the wheel hop is gone. I'm sure other setups would also work well. (And no, I don't run ladder bars.)
yeah, i was going to run a set of caltrac bars to take care of that. but the kit isn't just an air bag kit. it replaces my stock rear suspension w/ a 4 link setup. thats what would eliminate my wheel hop. not to mention be able to support more weight then what the rear ends in our trucks are rated for. its just tuff to drop that kind of money on something like that.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like air bags because they give a firmer ride in the rear when it's loaded, and I can re-level the truck so my headlights aren't pointing in the sky.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running Firestones with an air-zenith compressor. Trust me, get a GOOD compressor, it makes all the difference. If anyone wants, I will sell the one that came with the kit, cheap, never used.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Same thread as the other forum, EXACT same first post.

Look there for my reply...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:29 PM

When I was looking to do this, I was trying to follow Fisherguy's lead. Look at the setup that he has in his sig. IMO, his set up is the cat's meow. I wound up doing a complete Air Lift set-up, not because this is what I wanted but because I could get the complete setup including the spacers that I needed for my lift from one company and basically got the compressor for free with the rebate they had going. All the research that I had done basically had led me to believe that the Pac-Brake bags were probably the best. I just happened to get all Air Lift due to the deal at the time. I used Firestones for years with no problems. The wireless system from Air Lift is really nice.

Quick Reply: Firestone vs Pak brake vs Carli vs Air Lift bags?