3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Finally new wheels are here....but....

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselkan
Offset tells you everything. It is the one thing you have to match with your original wheels. You can change the width, and the diameter but if you change the off set, you will have a hell of a time balancing the tires. The back spacing changes by half of the width change. Measuring the back spacing is a simply way to calculate the offset.
My stockers are +42 offset and changed to the H2 Wheel which is +18 offset. Balanced just fine and no rubbing w/ the H2 (5.5" Backspacing compared to the stockers 6.25") on the upper control arms. You need to know the backspacing for proper fitting w/o rubbing.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Update...

After being on the road for a few days, I got in touch with the folk at Centerline tonight. Seems as though somewhere in the machining process forgings for a "private label" (apparently they make wheels for others) where used to produce my wheels hence the 4 3/4" backspacing which Centerline doesn't offer. They offer 4 1/2" and 5 1/4". I ordered the 5 1/4 So i have 2 options....

1. I can mount up 1 tire (yes just 1, because then the wheels can't be resold as new) and check the clearance, If it looks good, keep these wheels and they will work out a discount for me because of the mistake.

2 They will make a new set with the correct dimensions, and then chrome and ship them.

Looks like I have to get my buddy to mount up a tire for me and then I have to pop it on the front and see if it hits the fender, I'm almost certain it will.

The guys at Centerline have been great working with me at trying to get this little issue resolved, very pleased so far and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them in the future. I'll keep you guys posted. I'll even take a picture when I get the 1 wheel on the truck.

And so it continues
Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 AM

I wouldn't waste my time, James, just send them back. When I got my wheels the shop made the same mistake and they rubbed on the sheet metal with my 325/70-17s and 2" springs.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:01 PM

They are going back, stick out 2 1/2" but surprisingly with a 305/65/17 the tires don't look like they will hit the fender. But point is that they stick out way too far. Here are some pics, sorry about the quality, but I couldn't get the settings on my camera right tonight.....

Old 12-20-2007, 05:30 PM

Yeah that's a bit too far. It's gonna look good though when you get the right ones on there.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 PM

Yeah now that I've seen them with a tire and mounted on the truck I'm even more excited about getting this done. But I gotta wait for the new wheels to arrive. They are going to call me tomorrow with an ETA after they squeeze my new wheels into the production schedule.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM

So heres the newest update.... After waiting 2 months for my wheels only to find out that they made the wrong size for me, UPS picked them up on Christmas Eve, 3 weeks later I now find out that Centerline doesn't offer the size I wanted anymore (17x9 5.25" backspacing) took them 3 months to figure this out. Needless to say I'm a bit po'd.

Now do write them off and shop somewhere else or drop down to the 17x8.5. I really like this wheel but the other size was perfect for me because the backspacing would have allowed me to run them now and still look good after my truck is lifted. I'm afraid that a smaller wheel might give the truck too narrow of a stance with a 6" or so lift. I looked for a full month at other wheels before ordering these, couldn't find anything else I liked.

What should I do?
Old 01-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Banned

Personnaly, if the 17x8.5" wheels come in a 5.25" backspacing. They will stick out about an inch. Look real good unless you like the look of the wheel/tire to stick out further.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 PM

The 17x8.5 comes in a 6" backspacing, not enough in my opinion at least on a lifted truck, stock it would look fine, but I wanted a wheel I could run now and after the lift, the 5.25 was perfect for that.

Anyone have some brand names I could google other than the usual, American Racing, KMC, Weld, Pro Comp etc....
Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 PM

Yeah, I like those wheels.... I'd just run them wide like that with the 305's.

If they do a 17x8.5 with 6 inches backspacing you could run a wheel spacer like 1/4 inch to get them to like 5.75 I'm guessing.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
So heres the newest update.... After waiting 2 months for my wheels only to find out that they made the wrong size for me, UPS picked them up on Christmas Eve, 3 weeks later I now find out that Centerline doesn't offer the size I wanted anymore (17x9 5.25" backspacing) took them 3 months to figure this out. Needless to say I'm a bit po'd.

Now do write them off and shop somewhere else or drop down to the 17x8.5. I really like this wheel but the other size was perfect for me because the backspacing would have allowed me to run them now and still look good after my truck is lifted. I'm afraid that a smaller wheel might give the truck too narrow of a stance with a 6" or so lift. I looked for a full month at other wheels before ordering these, couldn't find anything else I liked.

What should I do?
or you could stick with the wheels you have now and throw some fender flares on it, but I don't know how you feel about fender flairs. Just an idea
Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 AM

I think it looks just fine as is
Old 01-17-2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mcstyle
I think it looks just fine as is

Ya I think it looks good the way it was with the wheels you got.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Yeah, I like those wheels.... I'd just run them wide like that with the 305's.

If they do a 17x8.5 with 6 inches backspacing you could run a wheel spacer like 1/4 inch to get them to like 5.75 I'm guessing.
What kind of problems could arise from using spacers, aluminum or steel?

Still not really sure what to do, the original set of wheels might be an option, if they are willing to re-sell them to me seeing as how they were returned. If I had known ahead of time that the correct size I wanted wasn't available anymore (still don't understand the reason they gave) I probably would have just kept them.

Anyone run anything made by Helo? Saw a wheel on thier site that doesn't look to bad, not perfect but might be acceptable if the sizes work out.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:05 PM

I'd just buy those wheels back. I'd make sure you complain some so they don't charge shipping again or whatever.

I know people with duallys run spacers.... You might want to do a search.

Quick Reply: Finally new wheels are here....but....