3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Finally new wheels are here....but....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally new wheels are here....but....

Well after waiting for almost 2 months my new wheels finally arrived (without center caps of course). Only one problem, unless I misread on how to measure backspacing, they sent me the wrong wheel size. Using a straight edge across the back of the wheel I measured to the hub mounting surface and what-ya-know.... 4 3/4"....thats a huge problem. Since I needed a tire rotation anyway, I jacked up the truck and tried one of these wheels for the heck of it and they stick out WAY far, like 2 1/2" past stock.

So my 17x9 5.5 backspacing, are more like 17x9 4 3/4"

Am I measuring right before I call and raise holy heck with these guys for wrong wheel and no center caps

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM

Yep, thats how you measure BS! HAHA
Old 12-12-2007, 07:43 PM

Should be a fun phone call tomorrow then, see if they take these things back, and make me the right the ones this time.

Anyone want a set of never used wheels?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
Well after waiting for almost 2 months my new wheels finally arrived (without center caps of course). Only one problem, unless I misread on how to measure backspacing, they sent me the wrong wheel size. Using a straight edge across the back of the wheel I measured to the hub mounting surface and what-ya-know.... 4 3/4"....thats a huge problem. Since I needed a tire rotation anyway, I jacked up the truck and tried one of these wheels for the heck of it and they stick out WAY far, like 2 1/2" past stock.

So my 17x9 5.5 backspacing, are more like 17x9 4 3/4"

Am I measuring right before I call and raise holy heck with these guys for wrong wheel and no center caps

yep, thats how you measure backspacing. that sucks dude!

by the way, i love the wheels... what brand/model are they? cost?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Centerline Wildcats, cost... probably more than they are worth when all this is done. I love the wheel, a simple classic truck look that nobody really seems to make anymore.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 PM

James,
That SUX man... I know how long you have waited......

get them on the phone and make them MAKE it right.....
Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 PM

usually centerline is pretty good to deal with so before you get too excited see what they say just so you dont shoot yourself in the foot
They gave my dad full credit on a set of wheels like 5 years later once after they replaced them once already
Old 12-13-2007, 12:29 AM

I know weld was easy to deal with on a recent set of rodlites I bought from them. Wrong backspacing as well, wanted 5.5 and they gave me 4.5 . Got the right ones to me in a couple weeks.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:46 AM

Nice wheels, what size tires you going to be running?
Still got to check out your Lorenz lift.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by newfy
Nice wheels, what size tires you going to be running?
Still got to check out your Lorenz lift.

Sorry about that dude, things have gotten way out of control over here between getting my girlfriend packed and ready for her move to NC for school (made a couple of trips already), getting the boat out of the water and winterized.......

We gotta get set a day so you can check out Seans work, he makes a nice product for these trucks. I'm going to run a 305/65/17 for a while when this wheel thingy gets sorted out. After the warranty expires suspension will get an overhaul with a full lift instead of just the leveling kit, probably ride on a 315 after thats done.

Haven't called Centerline yet because I wanted to let things settle on my end first, I'll call and be polite and ask questions, I'll keep you guys posted....
Old 12-13-2007, 03:47 PM

Hey, not trying to get in your business but I have his 5100 kit which is the same as yours up front with the exception that I added a track bar.

I use 315/70/17 BFGs and think they are a tad on the small side... Pics in gallery.

I would suggest you go to a larger tire size if you wanted my opinion especially since you are going with 5.5 backspacing. 315's are pretty standard for that backspacing.

Dealer has said nothing to me about it other than not giving me a free alignment before 12K miles because of the larger tires.... Not that it hurt me I can afford the $60.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Hey, not trying to get in your business but I have his 5100 kit which is the same as yours up front with the exception that I added a track bar.

I use 315/70/17 BFGs and think they are a tad on the small side... Pics in gallery.

I would suggest you go to a larger tire size if you wanted my opinion especially since you are going with 5.5 backspacing. 315's are pretty standard for that backspacing.

Dealer has said nothing to me about it other than not giving me a free alignment before 12K miles because of the larger tires.... Not that it hurt me I can afford the $60.

Your not in my buisness, opinions are welcome. I thought about 315's and agree they fill the wheel wells nicely, but I kinda like my trucks with the "offroad capable" look and function. It's just me but some of the trucks that I've seen pics of looked a little too stuffed with tire, again just me. I already have the tires (been in my shed for over 2 months, and will be there longer now) and if it doesn't look right I'll get bigger ones when the 305's wear out, or the lift goes in, which ever comes first....

I'll have to check your pics for the 315's
Old 12-13-2007, 04:00 PM

Rednecktastic

In your pic gallery, pic 7/13/07 1945 is a blck truck with what looks like rockstars under it, do you know the dimensions of the wheels on that truck. The back spacing looks ideal for what i want.

Great looking truck by the way, only one thing wrong.....the shorty box..
Old 12-13-2007, 05:58 PM

Hmm, that's weird, I have a silver 07 with 17 Hoss wheels 5.7 backspacing so they hang inside the wheel well about .2 inch more than you will. Rockstars are closer to 5 or 4.5 IIRC...

My truck is functional off road, heck the 315/70/17 bfg tires I've got are only like 34.5x12.2 or something like that. I ran them on the stock lift for a day before installing the lorenz lift and they didn't rub. I even drove it in and out of a couple ditches.

Some more advice, I assume you'll go with a 6 inch lift or 4.5 inch lift later with either 37's or 35's.... I'm pretty sure these lifts allow for 4.5 inch backspacing and look best with it set up like that.

I'm pretty sure you can run with those 305's with a 2 inch lift on 4.5 backspacing.

In short you probably lucked out in this deal! I'd call them and tell them about your concern and tell them you are going to try them out. That way you have options.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM

Actually the wheels I ordered are 5.25" backspacing, I was mistaken in my original post. Thats one reason why I went with the 305's to allow enough room for that backspacing. My plan was to find a wheel with a good compromise in backspacing that would allow me to run them now (tucked in enough) and still look good after the truck is lifted (sticking out just enough). Gonna get Don to make some custom coils around 4.5" and use his radius arms, but that'll be after my warranty runs out.

Quick Reply: Finally new wheels are here....but....