3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fender flare installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fender flare installation problem

So i got the flares painted and the shop said they would install them. They did a decent jonb on the paint only two spots of small trash and a small run on the lip of one flare. The installation is another story. When they mount the flares, there is a gap between the flare and body in places on 3 out of the 4 flares. Is this easily fixed. Do I need to just drill new wholes in the flare and fender lip to realign them or is there something that I am not thinking about.

Forgot to mention they are Bushwacker pocket style flares.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:55 AM

I'm thinking you didn't get what you paid for. Take it back and make them fix it, including the run and the two spots.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by t-boe
I'm thinking you didn't get what you paid for. Take it back and make them fix it, including the run and the two spots.
If you paid them to do it right..Heck ya have them fix it.. :fist: :$:

BUt to gix your gap problem just drill out a little larger hole so you'll have some flex..

Shane
Old 01-13-2007, 09:41 AM

i installed the extendeflare on mine...but do the pocket flares have a rubber gasket as well or not?

if they heat cured the flares to make them dry faster it might have distorted the flare....my buddy painted his and had no issues but had to let them cure before mounting them.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:43 AM

When I put my pocket flares on my 04.5, I did a test fit. There were gaps on all flares.

First, loosen all the bolts, then readjust the flare from one end to the other pushing it in snug as you go. there is some play for fine tuning.

If that doesn't do it, I think the instructions say you may need to sand or grind some areas to give a flush fit. Drilling new holes or enlarging the current ones will create pressure points where the flare is currently touching that may cut the rubber seal and damage the paint. I had to do a little work on every corner to a get a completely flush fit.

I have a set of Pocket Flares on order for my 06. I am going to do the fitting before I take them in for paint.

I would also suggest clear coating the bolts. They oxidize the first time the get salt on them. I am going to do a color match with the flares and then get some black bolts or have the ones included poweder coated to keep my stealth look going. Now I just need to get the bumpers and grill taken care of and get those blacked out lights DC offers.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do the BW pocketflares mount like stock? or do you have to drill holes?
do they have rubber gaskets??

I am not very happy with my ATS flares
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

The BW mount with stock holes and have a rubber gasket...

Shane
Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 AM

Thanks for tha advice guys. I had ask the guy about fitting and the wholes and he advised me that they do them all the time. I guess i should have done the fitting myself before sending them to them. I am speaking with them on Monday about it.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 53 ******
do the BW pocketflares mount like stock? or do you have to drill holes?
do they have rubber gaskets??

I am not very happy with my ATS flares
D'Oh!

I was thinking about going with the ATS flares you have. What don't you like about them?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
D'Oh!

I was thinking about going with the ATS flares you have. What don't you like about them?
They keep peeling off the truck!!
I have all ready taken them in once for peeling off and now I noticed this week they are peeling again!!!
I don't use a pressure washer ether, they also don't seem to fit the indents in the bed.
My buddy has the factory (I think) flares on his 05 and they fit perfect and they have the rubber seal. the fit and finish on them look really nice.
I also saw a 06 mega with the same style rubber seal fenders this week at home depot.
I want to try and get my dealer to trade the one's I have for BW pockets or the factory style flares but I doubt they will

I cant decide between the BW pockets or the OEM style?????
Old 01-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

They keep peeling off the truck!!
I have all ready taken them in once for peeling off and now I noticed this week they are peeling again!!!
I don't use a pressure washer ether, they also don't seem to fit the indents in the bed.
My buddy has the factory (I think) flares on his 05 and they fit perfect and they have the rubber seal. the fit and finish on them look really nice.
I also saw a 06 mega with the same style rubber seal fenders this week at home depot.
I want to try and get my dealer to trade the one's I have for BW pockets or the factory style flares but I doubt they will

I cant decide between the BW pockets or the OEM style?????
That sucks, man.

How do they attach? Did the dealer install them and, if so, how much did they charge?
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 PM

i love my Bushwhacker Extend-a-flares........hardest part is putting rubber gasket on the edge to seal up against body when mounted....no drilling, no sanding or finishing....just install rubber edge cover.....bolt in place with stock holes and they are done.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
That sucks, man.

How do they attach? Did the dealer install them and, if so, how much did they charge?

The fenders where already on my truck when I bought it.
it sounds like they attach the same way as other brand's of flares.

things I don't like about my ATS flares...
1. no rubber seal
2. don't fit the bed body lines very well(where it indents)
3. they wont stick to the paint and stay in place. ( Dealer install error, maybe the dealer is not cleaning the surface good enough?)

I want BW'S
Old 01-13-2007, 10:42 PM

I know the Power Wagon flares do not give you as much coverage. But mine fit perfect and go through the touchless laser wash with out any issues
Old 01-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Banned

The fenders where already on my truck when I bought it.
it sounds like they attach the same way as other brand's of flares.

things I don't like about my ATS flares...
1. no rubber seal
2. don't fit the bed body lines very well(where it indents)
3. they wont stick to the paint and stay in place. ( Dealer install error, maybe the dealer is not cleaning the surface good enough?)

I want BW'S
If I had half a brain I would of taken the BW's off of my 05 and repainted them and put em back on my 06

Now I just got to get another set... I loved everything about them.

Shane

Quick Reply: Fender flare installation problem