3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fan clutch went out

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
cut-n-paste king is right (again). I would have bet money that my fan didn’t have any wires going to it. After his last post I looked again. Sure is hard to spot but there it is going from the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side up and connecting to the front of the fan.
the fan works great....it is a downside that the wiring couldn't have been done a wee bit better though.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah. Mine doesnt look chewed (yet) but I can see the potential.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:04 PM

sry for the hijack, but how loud is the fan when fully engaged on 04 and up trucks? My son's 03 sounds like a jet taking off. Mine I can hardly hear it. Been having some issues of truck heating up when climbing small inclines with no load temp goes just over centre mark. Pulling 10k lbs trailer through mountains have had it 1/4" over centre. thermastat maybe or fan clutch bad? wires are intact any ideas thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Not that this will help much (I have an 03) but awhile back I went to search, clicked posts and typed in "fan clutch" and found a bunch of posts that put me at ease about my fan but might make you worry about yours because it sounds like you are running a little hot.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:34 PM

my mega cab runs the fan a LOT the 04 not so much dunno the diffrence same engine and all
Old 08-23-2007, 11:38 PM

My truck was just in the shop for the same thing, wires cut by the fan. They wanted to keep it for over night, but I need it next day. I was thinking about just spliceing them together untill I can go in for warrenty.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vzdude
5.9L DIESEL
The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the level of engagement of the electronically controlled viscous fan clutch by monitoring coolant temperature, intake manifold temperature, air conditioning pressure and transmission oil temperature. Based on cooling requirements, the ECM sends a signal to the viscous fan clutch to increase or decrease the fan speed.

Fan speed is monitored by the ECM. Fan speeds above or below a calibrated threshold will set a DTC. Circuit concerns will also set fan clutch DTC's.

DIESEL ENGINE
The electronically controlled viscous fan drive is attached to the fan drive pulley mounted to the engine. The coupling allows the fan to be driven in a normal manner. The fan speed is controlled by the electronic control module.

They don't say it in so many words, but I think they put electricity through the fluid to heat it up. Still works the same I think other than taking electricity to heat up the fluid instead of engine heat and they monitor the speed via a sensor inside the fan as well.
There is a variable valve in the cluch itself,,,it limits the amount of fluid to put into the hub to spin it up....this same fluid works manually as well.
the ecm tells the valve how far to open and flow fluid.....when it come up to the speed that it wants then the valve closes to let it spin then it will open the same valve in the opposite direction to expell the fluid and slow the fan.
pretty neet really but very costly to fix.
so with al that you can test that valve by starting truck....and then ground terminal one on the junction block....wait about 2 minutes and if the fan comes up to full speed with the engine...then all is fine.
hope this helps
Old 09-01-2007, 09:22 PM

This same thing happened to me. My water and tranny was running hot and my a/c was warm at idle. I was going to flush the radiator and while looking for the drain, noticed the wires had gotten into the blades and been severed. Anybody know how to splice the wires back together (how many should ther be, what color to what color, ect). Don't want to take it to the dealer if at all possible.