3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Failed Tire (with pics) and BFG Wear Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the rim protector on the tire is causing the chrome cover on the wheel to break. BFG's are very difficult to get balanced right, I still haven't gotten mine done right,and I have 25k on them. I have even had them balanced on the roadforce balancer, They didn't take the old weights off to balance them, they just added more to what was already there! I won't go there again!
Old 08-14-2005, 03:57 PM

I used to have the chrome clad rims and I had the same problem. I was driving down the road and one day I started hearing a clicking noise. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to the dealer. They couldn't find it either but said it was definitely something in the rim. A couple of days later the crack showed up and continued to spread until I ripped off the part that had already cracked. The tires are just too wide for the rims and the pressure put on that ridge from the contact patch of the tire is just too much.
Did you look closely at that part of the tire where you say the strange wear is occuring? On that same row of tread on my old tires half of that section of tread was ripping off. The ones that hadn't ripped off were coming off. I have no idea why it happened but I had no balancing or vibration problems with my first set of 315s.... Check my earlier post from a couple months ago. I even posted pictures....
Old 08-15-2005, 09:15 AM

On new tires & rims from factory. You will notice that they have a sticker (usually Green or Red) that will show the low side or high side of the rim and also the tire. I noticed that my 2 stickers were aligned up. I don't know which is which but every rim has a high/low point and also every tire. They match them from factory. That is why the ride SO smooth from the factory.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:27 AM

stopped by the dealer this morning and they are going to replace them under warranty. They need to get the wheel from a sister dealer, so it won't be until this evening till I get it replaced. When these tires wear out I'm pretty sure that I'm going to downsize to a 285 or 295 tire. If there were some aftermarket wheels out there that had close to the correct backspacing of the stockers I'd stay with the 315 and just go to a wider wheel. But I'm not a fan of the tire's sticking out of the wheel well look, so am not wiilling to go aftermarket wheels at this point.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:01 PM

Well, stopped by the dealer tonight and got the new wheel. Service writer showed it to me before they put it on the truck. I never realized how cheap these things were. It is literally a black steel wheel, with a glued on chrome plate. I had thought that the actual wheel itself was chromed on the facing edge. I never thought that it was just some stick on tin metal. Jeez.....I mean c'mon. I think I'll be buying some '05 take off wheels with the polished forged aluminum and getting rid of these steelies. I like the look of the new forged aluminum wheels, and they have the correct backspacing.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:14 AM

Good luck finding some of those. I bid on a couple sets on e-bay but people are willing to pay much more than me for them. Those new alloys look sweet though!!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I think I'll be buying some '05 take off wheels with the polished forged aluminum and getting rid of these steelies. I like the look of the new forged aluminum wheels, and they have the correct backspacing."

Are they forged ? I bought some 03 allloys when I was swapping the winter tires out, and two of those have noticeable leaks. At least the steel wheels didn't leak.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:10 PM

Yes, the newer aluminum wheels are forged. The previous aluminum wheels were cast.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:53 AM

Get H2 rims. Great backspacing and are made for 315's. Also, I read that BFG does not recoomend using rim weights due the the rim protector on their tires. What ever you get, have balanced using Road Force and stick on weights.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by BigBlueDodge
Maynard, tires are rotated every 3000-4000 miles. I bought free rotation/balances so I get them rotated every time I change my oil The tires are kept at 45 psi, front and back. Once I tried to level the contact patch by lowering the air pressure, but once I hit 30psi and it still wasn't perfectly flat I gave up. I don't feel that comfortable driving with under 30psi air pressure.

The tires have roughtly 25K miles on them right now.

I'm suspecting that I got a new guy who balanced them today. Once they took it back, and put it on the lift, it took close to 2 hours for them to simply rotate and balance the wheels. I was there almost 3 hours. Add to that, when I was leaving and got on the freeway one of the balancing weights flew off and hit the inside of my wheel well. I wasn't too happy with that. I am going back and having them re-balanced after I take this to the dealer and hopefully get a new wheel.

I realize that the BFG are a bit oversized for the 8" wheels we got, but I got a really great deal on them ($400 for a set of H2 take offs). Once these are gone, if I can't find another set of H2's for cheap, I will be downsizing to a 285/295/305 sized tire.

Well it appears part of the problem is your tire pressure. If I remember correctly the minimum air pressure up front is 55 psi and 45 psi in the rear, when runnnig unloaded. The other question I have is the size of the tires, I didn't think those wer the stock tire size that came on them. I thought they came with either 265s, 285s or 245s, thus if you put bigger tires on then you needed to compensate by haveing the frontend realigned and the camber adjusted for the difference
Old 08-31-2005, 02:41 PM

My BFG's call for 65psi. They are the All Terrain KO's but I wouldn't imagine running that low of pressure in someting that big. Something else with the wheel weight, How many road trucks and dump trucks do you see with wheel weights. We change our own tires and do not balance them. Our tires last 35-40k miles or rear tires and just as long on steer axel tires. So about bigger tires requireing more weight I don't know about all that. Like some of the other people said you just have to put a little extra work into it and maybe turn the tire on the wheel and re-mount it.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by runamuk
Baaad tire store!!! if it takes more than 1 oz to balance the tire then I make them break the bead and rotate the tire 180 degrees on the rim then re bead it.

If this is not done then those brand new tires will not make it on my truck. Ever!

1oz or the tires are out of round and I do not care if they work or not! Old school trick from many years ago Remember it and use it well!!

Rick
I used to work at a tire shop for about 3 yrs. I aggree that this tire should have been broken down, 180ed, and re mounted. On a tire that big you have better odds winning the lottery then balancing it with 1 0z. your doing good if you can get 1 oz or less per side. I would like to see the tire run on the balancer, to look for runout or out around.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by runamuk
Baaad tire store!!! if it takes more than 1 oz to balance the tire then I make them break the bead and rotate the tire 180 degrees on the rim then re bead it.

If this is not done then those brand new tires will not make it on my truck. Ever!

1oz or the tires are out of round and I do not care if they work or not! Old school trick from many years ago Remember it and use it well!!

Rick
I used to work at a tire shop for about 3 yrs. I aggree that this tire should have been broken down, 180ed, and re mounted. On a tire that big you have better odds winning the lottery then balancing it with 1 0z. your doing good if you can get 1 oz or less per side. I would like to see the tire run on the balancer, to look for runout or out around.
I am currently running the same set up on my truck. I can honestly say i am not happy with the wear but it is nothing unusual like you have. I have 25k on my set of bfg's and gurantee they wont see 40k
Old 08-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Banned

Tell the tire place or go to one that uses the stick-on weights on the inside of the rim. This makes it a lot easier to balance and also wont damage the outer Chrome of the rims.

Quick Reply: Failed Tire (with pics) and BFG Wear Problems