3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Factory paint blemishes??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your right Lance. Now, if a dealer put in writing he would provide and equivilant loaner truck free of charge you'd have something. But I have never met a dealer who has done that. You stated you are using the truck for pulling? As I stated earlier, it is not even legal to pull a trailer or haul a load on a dealer license plate, so this would mean a dealer would have to keep a 2500 or 3500 diesel pick-up in rental service with a rental license plate and carry insurance to cover in case yours didn't pay(and believe me, sometimes they don't) if you were in an accident while pulling your trailer. Am I the only one who thinks that is crazy? Maybe I am the one who is out of touch with reality? I don't know, on second thought, I can only imagine what many of my customers would do if I let them take a diesel pick-up of the lot as a loaner, I'd have some beat up trucks I'd say. None of them take care of the cars so why would it be any different?
Old 05-13-2006, 09:28 AM

The problem is that people are just unreasonable.
A truck is mechanical, it's going to break, or in this case a paint blemish. Do you think DC wants them to break or put the blemish there on purpose? Do you think an established body shop that has been in business for years, pays overhead, and has employees is incapable of fixing that blemish which is on a piece of plastic?
I too own a business that requires my truck. I also have a beat up 92 chevy that sits in my storage building 350 days out of the year.
Owning a business has variable costs that you don't always plan for, you usually pay these costs when necessary, as it will work itself out over the year. In this case, you need a truck, so go rent a truck for 2 days. It's all a write off, and you still make your $5-600 minus the cost of rental $2-300.

Option 2 is to sit at home and complain about how DC took $600 out of your pocket.

Option 3 You could always go to work for somebody else, get the same paycheck every Friday. Have the same schedule every Week. Sit at your desk and talk about how your boss doesn't work, makes all kinds of money, and has it so easy. No expenses involved, just need a ride to pick up your paycheck.
DK
Old 05-13-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by LanceK
I don't think anybody here, including myself, is blaming you for anything.

You buy truck.

Truck comes with a warranty to fix truck.

Truck breaks.

Dealer fixes.

Anything else is your responsibility.

I'm participating in a thread that I usually try and avoid but I digress.

It's hard for me to understand how you put such a high value on your truck to produce revenue but have absolutely no back up plan or alternative other than hoping the dealer will give you a loaner.

You contradict yourself by saying how valuable an asset the truck is, then not doing anything to protect that investment in case it goes down.

My point of contention is not that you shouldn't be upset as you should. My problem with your situation is that you are putting all the burden on the dealer for something they never agreed or even alluded to when you bought the truck.
What he said
Old 05-13-2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
I hear ya, makes me want to leave the business sometimes. Last year the average dealer acording to N.A.D.A. made and average of 1.3% return on investment on their dealership. My family has about $2,500,000 invested in our business and real estate, and the way things are going I'd say we'l' hit that 1.3% mark pretty dang close this year. $32,500! Woopee! We could sell it all, if anyone would buy it, put it in the bank and get more interest than that. I don't know many guys on here that would put up with the headaches we do for $32,500 a year on a 2.5mill investment. I don't know, guess I'm getting bitter? Customers demand the world, but don't want us to make any money.
that's not exactly fair. Customers have the right to expect quality service after investing their hard earned dollars just as do you.
The problems lie with the manufactures, they should compensate you fully in order to take care of the customers you sell too.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:41 PM

The problem is that consumers/customers think that the dealership made the vehicle. It is a mechanical piece of equipment that WILL require maintenance and repairs. IF the factory, DC in this case tells the dealership that they will pay for the loaner/rental for every warranty or service I am sure that the dealership will be more than happy to provide a vehicle during the time repairs are made. The dealership is not entitled to provide a vehicle for you during service. As for a major warranty repair I would suggest that you contact DC customer service and voice your displeasure with the problem and your loyalty to the product. Going through these channels may net you a vehicle at DC's expense. The dealership will put you into the rental and charge back the rental to DC. Everybody is happy then.

I have worked at an Acura dealership and it always amazed me how a customer would bring their car in for a $28.00 oil change and expect a loaner vehicle for a day for free. Ya thats good business!

Or they come in for a $150.00 service and complain when they are put into a $30.00 compact car from Enterprize for free.

If I know that my car has to go in for service you better believe that I am planning ahead as to when i can do without my truck or getting a ride from someone, taking it in while I am out of town for something else etc.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:59 PM

If I know that my car has to go in for service you better believe that I am planning ahead as to when i can do without my truck or getting a ride from someone, taking it in while I am out of town for something else etc.

I regularly turn down loaners when it would be easier for me to take it. I always feel I shouldn't take it unless I absolutely need one.

I feel it's common courtesy to free it up for someone who needs it more than me.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:12 PM

Look, it's a machine that's gonna always be suseptible to breakdown. Having a contingency plan for this when your in business is required for maintained income and for your customers service. Doesn't mean it has to be another truck, just an efficient plan (ie.- rental, competitor to cover your accounts, rescheduling, etc.). As with any business there are good days and bad days, having your truck laid up would be those bad days. BTW, in your case it's only a cosmetic issue that can be scheduled well in advance so you can make arrangements with your business. Asking the dealers to have a loaner for every make and model available is just unreasonable (even if they did what if it was already on loan?). This country has become way too compensation oriented in my opinion. I once lost a week vacation because my truck had problems. Did it bum me out, you bet but it's not anyones fault, just happens sometimes. Too many problems with a vehicle then I start looking a other brands. Loss of sales is how manufacturers respond to reliability issues of future models. I can't tell you the number of times I had to change my schedule when one of my vans go down (like right now I've got one in the shop). This also affects how I have to utilize that employee, usually resulting in a less lucrative day(s). Should I be entitled to compensation for that too? As the owner of your business you need to play the hand your delt. The outcome is ENTIRELY up to you.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by sticky
Look, it's a machine that's gonna always be suseptible to breakdown. Having a contingency plan for this when your in business is required for maintained income and for your customers service. Doesn't mean it has to be another truck, just an efficient plan (ie.- rental, competitor to cover your accounts, rescheduling, etc.). As with any business there are good days and bad days, having your truck laid up would be those bad days. BTW, in your case it's only a cosmetic issue that can be scheduled well in advance so you can make arrangements with your business. Asking the dealers to have a loaner for every make and model available is just unreasonable (even if they did what if it was already on loan?). This country has become way too compensation oriented in my opinion. I once lost a week vacation because my truck had problems. Did it bum me out, you bet but it's not anyones fault, just happens sometimes. Too many problems with a vehicle then I start looking a other brands. Loss of sales is how manufacturers respond to reliability issues of future models. I can't tell you the number of times I had to change my schedule when one of my vans go down (like right now I've got one in the shop). This also affects how I have to utilize that employee, usually resulting in a less lucrative day(s). Should I be entitled to compensation for that too? As the owner of your business you need to play the hand your delt. The outcome is ENTIRELY up to you.

Could not have been said any better!
Old 05-13-2006, 09:44 PM

If you need your truck that bad to do business, it's 6 bolts and two electrical connections to remove the bumper. Take the plastic fascia off and reinstall the chrome bumper. Leave it there for repair and drive your truck. That's all they are going to paint. You might have to hang out for an hour if they have to color match.

I'm fortunate that my dealer will usually provide me a loaner, but I have ridden my bike home and even done business appointments on the bike. It helps though that I work in the bicycle and outdoor industry.

I actually agree with the dealers/reps here. You should not assume that you will get a like vehicle, or even a loaner for that manner. I'm not suggesting you need a backup truck, but be prepared for the downtime that occurs when your truck needs service.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:50 PM

I just had one side of my truck repainted, the factory side has a ton of fish eye. The repained side looks great and almost makes the factory side look just bad.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Luke S
so this would mean a dealer would have to keep a 2500 or 3500 diesel pick-up in rental service with a rental license plate and carry insurance to cover in case yours didn't pay
Well duh! Yeh that's my expectation! Oh, BTW, I sometimes tow my gooseneck, and sometimes my 5ver, and sometimes my trailer so you need a convertible hitch on it or adapters for all my vehicles. Oh, BTW, 1 trailer uses a 7 pin connector and the other a 4 pin so I need dual wiring also.

Durn, didn't even know I could get a loaner till I read this thread. Cooool! The only complaint I have about the Neon, is when trying to get towing capability on the Dodge web site the only vehicle it showed for a while was the Neon. Little different specification than a 3500 I think!