3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Factory paint blemishes??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Luke S
I hear ya, makes me want to leave the business sometimes. Last year the average dealer acording to N.A.D.A. made and average of 1.3% return on investment on their dealership. My family has about $2,500,000 invested in our business and real estate, and the way things are going I'd say we'l' hit that 1.3% mark pretty dang close this year. $32,500! Woopee! We could sell it all, if anyone would buy it, put it in the bank and get more interest than that. I don't know many guys on here that would put up with the headaches we do for $32,500 a year on a 2.5mill investment. I don't know, guess I'm getting bitter? Customers demand the world, but don't want us to make any money.
Nice to see someone sticking up for the other side. I used to be a factory rep and called on dealers daily so I have a very good understanding how things work there. Not to say there aren't crooks, but every business has them.

As far as getting a loaner of the same type the economics just don't work. Everybody wants to beat the dealer up when they buy, beat them up when they take it in for service, etc.

At what point does the dealer make money?

As far as Mercedes and Acura they are different business models. They are both "low volume" compared to Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Therefore they can provide loaners for a higher percentage of customers. Oh and you pay for that service in the price as well. That's why you pay 5-7K more for an Acura that is basically the same vehicle as it's equivalent Honda.

I completely understand people who rely on their vehicles for work. But if your truck is that important you should have a backup plan of your own such as a used truck etc. And don't say you can't afford it. If you are losing 5-600 dollars a day it would pay for itself pretty quickly. If you can afford a new truck you can afford two used ones.

Dodge and the dealer sold you a truck and per the warranty, will fix it as best and as fast as possible. They didn't say they are responsible for your lost wages.

When you're sick do you ask the doctor for someone to cover you at work?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:54 AM

Thank you! You said it much more intelligently and articulately than I did. But I am not very intelligent!
Old 05-12-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by LanceK
Nice to see someone sticking up for the other side. I used to be a factory rep and called on dealers daily so I have a very good understanding how things work there. Not to say there aren't crooks, but every business has them.

As far as getting a loaner of the same type the economics just don't work. Everybody wants to beat the dealer up when they buy, beat them up when they take it in for service, etc.

At what point does the dealer make money?

As far as Mercedes and Acura they are different business models. They are both "low volume" compared to Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Therefore they can provide loaners for a higher percentage of customers. Oh and you pay for that service in the price as well. That's why you pay 5-7K more for an Acura that is basically the same vehicle as it's equivalent Honda.

I completely understand people who rely on their vehicles for work. But if your truck is that important you should have a backup plan of your own such as a used truck etc. And don't say you can't afford it. If you are losing 5-600 dollars a day it would pay for itself pretty quickly. If you can afford a new truck you can afford two used ones.

Dodge and the dealer sold you a truck and per the warranty, will fix it as best and as fast as possible. They didn't say they are responsible for your lost wages.

When you're sick do you ask the doctor for someone to cover you at work?
HAHA... you expect me to buy 2 trucks incase one breaks?? That sounds rediculous. I understand a dealership is there to make money (my buddy owns a Nissan dealership...I see the ins and outs all the time, profit in the front and the back. I know the expenses per month... I know how it works) but come on... The dealership isnt payin for it. When I got the neon last time DC paid for it. So tell me this... I spend $40k for a truck that is messed up when I bought it and rely on this truck for work. Now its MY fault that it was built poorly or has bad parts? I understand from the other side too but you gotta look at it... I didnt build the car, why is it my fault?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
The dealership isnt payin for it.

Don't you bet on it. Geting DC to pay rental on a warranty is tough, now if it is service contract repairs that is different, that is part of the deal if you have a service contract. But there aren't hardly any circumstances that DC will pay for a rental under the regualr warranty. It has to be something really serious where the vehcile will be out of service for a good long while, like if parts aren't available or something. Even if the dealer will give out a loaner truck, which we occasionally will do, not often but occasionaly, it is not legal to haul or tow anything with a vehcile with a dealer license plate. So it wouldn't do you any good anyhow, you'd be breaking the law in theory. The only way you could get a loaner truck to legally use for work would be if the dealership went and rented you a truck form Enterprise, but the last I checked they don't offer heavy duty trucks, just 1/2 tons. The only company that I know of in the whole country that will rent a HD pick-up is Barco-rent-a-truck and I think they are only out west like utah and california?
Old 05-12-2006, 11:09 AM

Don't you bet on it. Geting DC to pay rental on a warranty is tough, now if it is service contract repairs that is different, that is part of the deal if you have a service contract. But there aren't hardly any circumstances that DC will pay for a rental under the regualr warranty. It has to be something really serious where the vehcile will be out of service for a good long while, like if parts aren't available or something. Even if the dealer will give out a loaner truck, which we occasionally will do, not often but occasionaly, it is not legal to haul or tow anything with a vehcile with a dealer license plate. So it wouldn't do you any good anyhow, you'd be breaking the law in theory. The only way you could get a loaner truck to legally use for work would be if the dealership went and rented you a truck form Enterprise, but the last I checked they don't offer heavy duty trucks, just 1/2 tons. The only company that I know of in the whole country that will rent a HD pick-up is Barco-rent-a-truck and I think they are only out west like utah and california?
I know what you are sayin... Last time they got DC to pay for the rental (atleast thats what the service advisor said). Its just irritating to pay so much for something and when its messed up, they dont want to pay up in equal amounts. Its like going to a steak house and ordering a $40 steak...when it comes out its messed up so they bring you some french fries to make up for it.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:45 PM

See I remember the days of NO LOANERS.In fact very few even ASKED.Then it was learn all this new paper work(for LOANER),don't make a nickel and LOAN them wheels also.Then it was not if a loaner BUT what kind of NEW car loaner and WHAT color, etc.Chezz.Be thankful you GOT wheels while repairs being made to yours.One day after TWO in a row about the KIND of new car LOANER the dealer owner said if they too much say OK we won't LOAN one and be done.Let them get their own way to get around like folkes USE too.Had a FACTORY rep tell a customer this also.In fact "they" were going on and on about a out of warranty repair HE was taking care of and HE looked at them and said if your NOT going to be happy I won't do THAT eaither."THEY" said you CAN"T take THAT back! He said Yes I can watch me!. They shut up and got real polite.See folks at DEALERS sometimes go through this DAILY when its above and beyond what really needs to be done.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:24 PM

Aren't you supposed to do a final walk around when you take delivery????????
Old 05-12-2006, 02:04 PM

Years past I took a BUS HOME when leaving a vehicle for warranty work.Then had to BORROW a BROTHERS car to get back and forth.Eaither that or you RENT one on your own.On top of everthing our LOANERS got TRASHED.Thats why most dealers changed to ENTERPRIZE.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
HAHA... you expect me to buy 2 trucks incase one breaks?? That sounds rediculous. I understand a dealership is there to make money (my buddy owns a Nissan dealership...I see the ins and outs all the time, profit in the front and the back. I know the expenses per month... I know how it works) but come on... The dealership isnt payin for it. When I got the neon last time DC paid for it. So tell me this... I spend $40k for a truck that is messed up when I bought it and rely on this truck for work. Now its MY fault that it was built poorly or has bad parts? I understand from the other side too but you gotta look at it... I didnt build the car, why is it my fault?
I think it is simply about what is reasonable.

Fixing a vehicle for 3-4 years for free is pretty reasonable to me. Part of that $40K price tag includes room for repairs.

It's not your fault. But the warranty states it will fix the vehicle...period.

Putting all your eggs in one basket for a vehicle that you rely on so heavily for income IS your fault.

Believe me I understand your frustration as I would be feeling the same way but it simply is not the dealer or Dodge's responsibility.

I always try to stay away from negative comments on threads and my original reason to post here was with good intentions.

Unfortunately I can't help but sense an attitude of not taking responsibility for yourself which IS a big problem in our country and something I feel IS worth posting negatively about.

Good Luck.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=LanceK]

It's not your fault. But the warranty states it will fix the vehicle...period.

QUOTE]

Your exactly right. I must have missed the document that said they'll provide you with a loaner exactly like the vehicle you brought in for work.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Years past I took a BUS HOME when leaving a vehicle for warranty work.Then had to BORROW a BROTHERS car to get back and forth.Eaither that or you RENT one on your own.On top of everthing our LOANERS got TRASHED.Thats why most dealers changed to ENTERPRIZE.
I had kind of forgot about how bad the cars get trashed. I've had them come back with bald tires when they left with good ones, I've had em come back with an inch of mud on the floorboards. I've had em comeback with the exhaust ripped completely off. I had one lady come back in one day after we gave her a loaner, not a rental but a free loaner, and tell me it was out of gas! She was expecting us to fill it up for her to on top of providing her wheels for free!
Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 PM

I had kind of forgot about how bad the cars get trashed. I've had them come back with bald tires when they left with good ones, I've had em come back with an inch of mud on the floorboards. I've had em comeback with the exhaust ripped completely off. I had one lady come back in one day after we gave her a loaner, not a rental but a free loaner, and tell me it was out of gas! She was expecting us to fill it up for her to on top of providing her wheels for free!

A result of the lack of common courtesy and "whatever is convenient for me attitude."
Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ***700
Aren't you supposed to do a final walk around when you take delivery????????
Its hard to see unless you are really lookin. I just happened to be wiping the truck down after a car wash and noticed it.

Lance and Luke... I still think you guys are crazy for me to depend on a vehicle.. You tryin to tell me you dont depend on your vehicle to take you to and from work? When it breaks down its YOUR fault and you have to suffer from the lack of vehicle to get yourself to work to make the money to pay for YOUR broken truck? I know this isnt getting anywhere but I just dont see how Im to blame for buying a truck in which I use it for business.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:13 PM

I don't think anybody here, including myself, is blaming you for anything.

You buy truck.

Truck comes with a warranty to fix truck.

Truck breaks.

Dealer fixes.

Anything else is your responsibility.

I'm participating in a thread that I usually try and avoid but I digress.

It's hard for me to understand how you put such a high value on your truck to produce revenue but have absolutely no back up plan or alternative other than hoping the dealer will give you a loaner.

You contradict yourself by saying how valuable an asset the truck is, then not doing anything to protect that investment in case it goes down.

My point of contention is not that you shouldn't be upset as you should. My problem with your situation is that you are putting all the burden on the dealer for something they never agreed or even alluded to when you bought the truck.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:37 PM

In a situation like yours, a blemish, whereas not acceptable for the money we pay for these trucks, the options need to be weighed carefully. I would only accept a new factory bumper or leave it as is. The last thing you need is for the body shop to get ahold of it and make it worse than it was to begin with. Before you know it, 10 months have passed and it has been in the shop 5 times with no improvements.

And there is nothing wrong with Neons . Yeah they are slow, small, and like 120 HP, but how about the nearly 40 MPG on my '98??

Quick Reply: Factory paint blemishes??