3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Factory (OEM) brake controller......

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your opinions about the different brake contollers out there. At this point I'm thinking seriously about the Hensley based on the recommendation from a local diesel shop.

gdafoe, I don't suppose you've driven in the snow or ice with Hensley being from AZ have you? The reason I ask is I'm curious how the gyros work on slick roads.

Thanks, Karl.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am glad that Dodge does not install a brake controller as most of the so called factory units are in the "Dark Ages" when it comes to the advanced trailer braking systems (elc/Hyd units) I am in the middle of building a 42' GN trailer with 2-12K hyd disc brake axles, I am going to use the new Carlisle Hydrastar elec/hyd actuator..guess what it's not compatible with???The new controller built into the 2008 Ford..

My only gripe with the new Dodges is they are not leaving any spaces in the dash to mount the controller "of your choice"...Just why is it we buy 1 ton trucks anyway....The new (1-1-07 and later) Carlisle Hydrastar is compatible with the prodigy controller, however the P-3 has a better selection of braking options..I bought a P-3 with the components for the GN as soon as I get everything together I will get you an update complete with pics of coarse..

Some of the problems encountered with the elec/hyd units was the prodigy & Ford controllers sends out a signal..which when attached to a trailer will give you a "C" for connected, this signal would actually engage the brakes on the elec/hyd units, as they take less than 2 seconds to actuate the brakes

Carlisle actually has a work around unit for this on its older (Pre 1-1-07) elec/hyd actuators it was a "HBA-CAM" unit. It would fix the problem associated with the prodigy and older ford installed controllers..

Do your homework on all websites associated with the controllers, trailer brakes, brake away switches Ect. as they all tie together..

Hopes this helps..current and or future questions
Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my BrakeSmart in 03 and never had a bit of a problem. Still using it almost five years later. On my recommendation a buddy bought one from Dr. Performance a couple of years ago and has had intermitent "disconnect"/"connect" messages although the braking function seems to be fine. It was not his truck as we swapped units and the controller did the same thing in my truck. Dr. Performance did replace his unit but it took a few weeks. The replacment does the same thing as the original. I was somewhat apprehensive recommending the BrakeSmart to him as I had heard the DP had some customer service issues in the past. The BrakeSmart is certain a great controller and I hope mine last forever, but if it ever fails, I will be looking for similar technology elsewhere.

Casey