3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Factory (OEM) brake controller......

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory (OEM) brake controller......

From what I have read both Ford and GM offer a factory brake controller option. Does anyone know what type of technology is used? Which of the existing brake controllers would be the closest to what they are offering?

I'm having problems with my (the most expensive and suppose to be the best) brake controller and I can't get any resolution from the doctor. After experiencing a 50% failure rate I've decided to switch the unit out and would like to know what type of technology the truck manufactures have settled on.

I have heard about a product called the Hensley Tru-Control which sounds good but at this point after I change the unit out I'll be about $1050 for a brake controller! (The doctor's bill was $455 + 212.50, for dealer install, + about $25 for shipping and insuring two defective units back and forth = $25 for the mechanics fee to install the replacement unit which was also defective). I want to make sure I get it right this time.

Thanks for your ideas, Karl. 2006 2500, 4x4, 6-speed, Pac-Brake, (and my third brake contoller with a non-working display!)
Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 PM

Sorry, can't help with the type of technology use, but I bet its most similar to the Brakesmart.

For a replacement I would normally recommend the controller you have; however, since you're on your third next on my list would be the Jordan, but I'm not sure their even making those any more. That leaves the Prodigy.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Ford is a Prodigy accelerometer type. Not to good on slick roads. I prefer that Dodge not put one in because since I ponnied up and got a Brakesmart I will never go back. One guy on here bought a new Max brake and really likes it also.

Buy the way which brake controller did you get???????
Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I went and checked out a F-450 and the dealer said the brake system has some sort of pressure sensor for the master cylinder, but he didn't sound real sure... If that was correct, it would be similar to Brakesmart.

I would assume that's what cokarl is eluding to having. If so, I wouldn't pay anyone for installing. It is very simple and quick.

The clock messed up on mine, and the guy there told me to unplug it and plug it back in and that would most likely take care of it, but if not they would send a new head right out. Pulling the plug for a minute solved it. That was before the company changed ownership, though.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:17 PM

Thanks for your responses. To answer your question Spooler the unit I have is a Brakesmart which I purchased from Dr. Performance in 7/06. I purchased it because I had a Brakesmart in my 04 CTD and had no problems. I left the unit in the truck when I traded it because that was how the dealer saw it when they gave me the trade-in value. Incidentally I bought the truck through Costco's auto buying program and was very pleased with the experience. The dealer, Thomas Sales and Service in Bend, Oregon was also very easy to work with also.

I bought another Brakesmart even though the price had gone up quite a bit from the one I bought for my 04, as I remember. I had the unit installed by a local Dodge dealer in Boise, ID where I was living at the time because while I'm sure it is pretty easy to install I'm a carpenter and I'd rather pay a mechanic to do the work.

The unit worked fine for about 9 months and then the display would only work erratically and in the end quit entirely. By this time I had moved to Mass. I called Dr. Performance and they said the display was bad and would have to be repaired or the unit replaced. I sent it back to them and waited to receive another unit. After about 4 to 6 weeks I still hadn't received the unit or even heard from them. At this point I called them up and they said the display was bad and gave me an RMA #. After another 3 to 4 weeks I still had not heard from them so again I called them up and this time spoke to the owner Ken Laughlin. He was only able to find anything out about my unit from the RMA # I gave him. He said a new unit would go out the next day.

Which apparently it did but they sent it to my old address in Idaho! I guess they not only lost the unit but also the letter explaining the original problem and with my address to mail the unit to. This address was also on all the UPS packaging. I only found this out when I called after another week to find out where it was. I spoke with someone that they would send a new unit to me in Mass by UPS next day. They did and this unit didn't work either!

At this point I took the unit to a mechanic I know to look things over. I thought maybe there's something wrong with the power to the unit. He check the wiring to the unit out and said there was no problem. While I was at his shop I called Dr Performance to get some guidance on this problem. I was told that everyone was going into a meeting but someone would call me right back. Never got the call of course.

At this time I sent the second defective unit back to Mr. Laughlin with a note saying I had been without a brake controller for better than 10 weeks. I never receive any response. At this time I called the people that had puchased my home in Boise. The lady said she had the package and was kind enough to send the unit to me in Mass. Guess what???? You got it!!! A third unit with a weird display. This one only displays when pressing the brake pedal unlike the unit from the the 04 and the unit from 06 when it worked. I find this to be a potentially dangerous distraction while driving at night. I called Dr Performance yet again about a month ago and after a length conversation the customer server rep finally admitted that the display was in fact different and they were trying to get new displays that would work as the original had. At this time he said other customers had also been unhappy about this problem they would fix or replace my unit when they got new parts in stock in about a month but couldn't I just turn off the display and live with it?

Yesterday, a month later, I called to see how they were making out with getting the new parts. The same customer service rep said no new displays were available. I asked to speak with Mr Laughlin and was told he was at the SEMA show in Los Vegas. I then asked to speak with some one that could authorize a refund so I could just put this thing behind me. I was told everyone with that authority would be unavailable for over a week and that I had actually bought the unit from another company! Gee, the receipt says: Dr Performance. Then asked for Mr Laughlins cell # so I could contact him directly. I was told I couldn't have it and the customer service rep told me he was tired of my attitude!

I've been able to get by without a brake controller as I only move the trailer from job to job. If you absolutely can't be with out a brake controller you might want to consider another brand of controller.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:36 AM

Man, that stinks. I had heard of great customer service from them, but haven't heard anything about how they are under new ownership.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 AM

Hope mine dosen't brake!!!!!! There is a new controller that is advertised on here. It is called the Max Brake. Give it a try.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:10 AM

Jeff in TD, I think the company has changed hands a couple of times since I bought the first unit for my 04 but I can't get a straight answer from anyone at Dr Performance. For that matter I don't really care. All I want is what I paid for.

Sorry about that last long post. It was as short as I could keep it and still cover the basic facts that I would want to know if I were going to spend $450. + for a brake controller.

If I'm understanding the customer service rep at Dr Performance correctly all recently shipped units have the display that only works when brake pressure is applied. This seems like a QC defect to me since they say it wasn't what they intended and are going to change back to the constant display.

Do you have the continuously displaying unit or the one that will display only with brake pressure?

Spooler, thanks for the Max Brake idea. At this point I have a couple of thoughts. 1) Switch to Max Brake. 2) Switch to the Hensley Tru-Control. 3) Live with the Brakesmart until 09 (?) at which time I'm assuming Dodge will have an OEM solution that could be made backwards compatable.

By the way with a few pretty minor issues I love the 06. Although I had some reservations at first I think it's absolutely the best of the 4 CTD's I've owned.

Thanks for your responses, Karl.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 AM

My display shows constantly. When I mash the brake it then switches over to the PSI readings. I bought mine back in March 07'. Sorry for your troubles. I do love the controller though. Works perfect.....
Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 AM

Mine also displays constantly, until there have been no brake applications and it's time to power down has been reached.

If I recall correctly, I bought it in 03.

Actually, one thing I wish were changed: If you get an error message (Short, lost connection, whatever) it should stay on the screen until you manually clear it, and not go away on the next brake application.

Hopefully Dr. will take care of you. The pressure sensing concept really does seem to perform better.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:54 AM

Jeff in TD, I too would have hoped Dr Performance would stand behind their products but at this point I'm doubtful.

I owned a small fabrication business for about 20 years and one thing I learned is: You never win an argument with a customer. I think it's kind of a paradox, really. If you win the argument they're no longer a customer.

At this point by not doing the right thing Dr. Performance has won the argument. They've blown me off. OK, they win. Of course I'll never by another Brakesmart or any other product from Dr. Performance. And as the old saying goes: A happy customer tells 10 people. An unhappy customer tells 100. And with the internet it sure is a lot easier to do! Heck, with the internet 248 people have already heard about my Brakesmart problem in about 12 Hours!

I've gotten a lot of great information from these websites and wanted to contribute my recent experience. If Dr Performance makes good I will gladly acknowledge it.

I'm glad your Brakesmart is working properly. My 04 worked great too. I think the techincal issues can be resolved but it's the way they do business that I'm have a problem with. Thanks for your resposes, Karl.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:25 AM

I'm waiting to get a DVD from Hensley on their brake controller. Any real world experience with it or the MaxBrake? Thanks, Karl.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:55 AM

I've never known anyone who has one. Looking at the web page, it looks like they operate on the same principle as the brakesmart.

If you get one, post back a review.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:54 AM

I have the TruControl, I am very happy with it. In fact I now have the best working trailer brake system I have ever used. (I have run quite a few trailers from little ones to larger equipment trailers) About 4K miles ago I had disk brakes put on my 5th wheel and now with the TruControl I finally have very good and consistant control of the brakes. If I understand correctly the TruContol was designed by the man that designed the BrakeSmart. It uses state of the art technology, Electronic Gyros, to sense speed, incline, decline, acceleration, deceleration. My first one which was early in their production did have and faulty gyro, they shipped me a replacement while I was traveling in Alaska. I have run the unit about 16K miles so far.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:59 PM

Take a look at the Tekonsha P-3. It is an upgrade from the Prodigy.
I really like mine!

Quick Reply: Factory (OEM) brake controller......