3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Exhaust shot allready?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust shot allready?

I was disapointedyesterday when I looked out the window while my truck was idling warming up outside the house, I noticed their was exhaust vapour coming out the tailpipe AND out from underneath the rear of the cab/box of the truck.

I went outside to investigate and saw that the muffler is all cracked out at the front where the exhaust pipe goes in creating an exhaust leak.

I expected the factory exhaust to last longer this as the exhaust on my '99 lasted several more years and many more miles than this.

Anybody else have this problem?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You live in the rust belt?
Too bad I just tossed the muffler for my Mega in the garbage last month and it was in perfect shape, didn't mess it up removing it. Would have gave it to you.
Don't waste the money on a new muffler unless you like it real quiet. With the cat and the resonator on the Megas, you can straight pipe the muffler and it's barely louder than stock. No highway drone except maybe pulling a trailer uphill and even then it's only at lower rpms. If you keep it wound a little, no drone then either.
I used the Geno's pipe only because it came with a slight offset to match OEM in/out and had the hangar welded on. That and a couple stainless band clamps from Napa. Easy install.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Suprisingly enough i don't live in the "Rust Belt" really.

It's generally pretty dry here in Alberta Canada and not a lot of salt used.

When I had my '99 I lived in Ontario which is much more humid, way more salt and it still outlasted it!

I'm debating what to do with it, might go straight pipe, the CAT could fall off at the same time.

Any mileage gains in doing so?

I don't want it to be obnoxious loud, I use the truck for work and hauling customers around, in and out of customers yards every day.

I lived the '99 straight piped, it sounded awesome. Not sure that's me anymore though.

Must be getting old?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't want it loud don't consider a straight pipe, especially with taking the cat off. Look into a Nelson or Donaldson muffler, I have the 40" Nelson, pics and part no. in my gallery.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 AM

I have an MBRP straight thru muffler, and my cat blown out, and it barely sounds over stock. No drone even pulling my 5er.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 AM

I LOVED the sound of the '99 straight piped, sucking air through the BHAF, no silencer ring waste gate clamped shut! Wooohooo.

Just not sure I want that anymore?

Maybe I do....

The "Big Boy" and "the kid" in me are fighting it out over this one.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tool
I was disapointedyesterday when I looked out the window while my truck was idling warming up outside the house, I noticed their was exhaust vapour coming out the tailpipe AND out from underneath the rear of the cab/box of the truck.

I went outside to investigate and saw that the muffler is all cracked out at the front where the exhaust pipe goes in creating an exhaust leak.

I expected the factory exhaust to last longer this as the exhaust on my '99 lasted several more years and many more miles than this.

Anybody else have this problem?
I am doing a complete turbo back on a megacab for a friend soon. can ship you the muff i you need it
Old 01-08-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, aren't these stainless?

I also had a new muffler and tossed it. I held one for my Ford for 8 years so with this one it went right to the scrap pile.

I put on the 51" Donaldson, and there's some slotted fins that impede the straight through but you can bend those straight easily. Quiet as stock.

Even taking the exhaust off completely won't get you any more power. One of the magazines dynoed the new 4" verses no exhaust at all and there was no power to be gained by improving the exhaust, so you're really going for sound.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Not looking for more power really, I was curious if the CAT accidentally fell off if there would be any mileage gains?

I know some people have claimed a mileage gain without it on gas vehicles.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
mine fell off at 60 miles on the clock. could not inform you of any mileage gains although when I bought the truck i was only getting 9mpg and now getting 16 plus and been lifted since 30 miles on the clock
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Grit Dog
You live in the rust belt?
Too bad I just tossed the muffler for my Mega in the garbage last month and it was in perfect shape, didn't mess it up removing it. Would have gave it to you.
Don't waste the money on a new muffler unless you like it real quiet. With the cat and the resonator on the Megas, you can straight pipe the muffler and it's barely louder than stock. No highway drone except maybe pulling a trailer uphill and even then it's only at lower rpms. If you keep it wound a little, no drone then either.
I used the Geno's pipe only because it came with a slight offset to match OEM in/out and had the hangar welded on. That and a couple stainless band clamps from Napa. Easy install.
Just like GD said..... Toss the Muffler. I tossed mine months ago in favor of the straight pipe from Geno's. Kept the cat (for smog reasons) and the rezzy (keep drone down) in place. Couldnt be happier. It's only slightly louder then with the muffler on, and that's only when you get on it.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
I am doing a complete turbo back on a megacab for a friend soon. can ship you the muff i you need it
Thanks for the generous offer,

I would imagine shipping would be cost-prohibitive to ship a used muffler to Canada though.

Thanks anyway.

The worst part is i just discovered this yesterday and I'm headed to Denver CO tuesday which is like a 2,000 mile round trip with no time to get anything new installed.

Hopefully it doesn't fall off on the interstate.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM

pick one up in Denver at one of the many diesel shops.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 PM

these things really arent that loud straightpiped ......... compared to the second gens. if i were you i would put a muffler on it though, because one day that kid in you will finally have had enough and youll say man i need to put a muffler on this thing, i cut mine out like 6 months ago and now im thinking i should have left it in
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 PM

You can have my muffler from the genos garage muffler delete

I am near Montreal and could ship it to you... you cover the shipping.

Quick Reply: Exhaust shot allready?