3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Exhaust Brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
we dont support junk. if a vendor builds a good product, we tell the truth, and if a manufacturer doesnt, we still tell the truth.
10-4. I love this Pac Brake.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:54 PM

I agree with Pauly about the dead zone on the pedal, it is only a couple seconds before my brake engages.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:51 PM

OK so wheres the best place to buy a pacbrake from?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:56 PM

DTR Store, but you have to call.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Has anyone installed an inline pac brake. I have a 5 inch exhaust and the c44045 kit is only a 4 inch elbow. The c44047 kit is a 5 inch inline unit. For the people who have installed a 5 inch unit, how does the valve fasten to the exhaust pipe, champs? welded? Does the 4 inch standard unit restrict flow? Anyone using the 4 inch unit with 5 inch exhaust?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by dieselengineer
Has anyone installed an inline pac brake. I have a 5 inch exhaust and the c44045 kit is only a 4 inch elbow. The c44047 kit is a 5 inch inline unit. For the people who have installed a 5 inch unit, how does the valve fasten to the exhaust pipe, champs? welded? Does the 4 inch standard unit restrict flow? Anyone using the 4 inch unit with 5 inch exhaust?
You got rid of your cast elbow? I have a 5" exhaust as well but it still has to mate to a 4" flange because all of the turbos are a 4" flange for our trucks. I guess you could have specially machined a reducer of sorts but that would have been a lot of work for nothing. Most 5" down pipes have a 4" flange on them for mating to the stock elbow or turbo. I guess I'm not following you.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:23 PM

When running a 5 inch exhaust, I am trying to not place an additional flow restriction in the smallest part of the exhaust system ie the outlet of the turbo. Has anyone experienced reduction in performance with addition the 4 inch pac brake to a open exhaust system. The valve must add additional pressure drop the total system in the open position.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Take a GOOD look at the models they offer, you will see a 5" model. It may be what you are looking for, give them a call and ask questions. There are plenty of people with 5" exhaust systems who also have PacBrakes, bet they have something to fit your needs.

CD
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM

Having a hard time making a decision!!!!!

I was pretty much sold on the Jacobs exhaust brake system, you guys prefer the Pacbrake set-up. I lean toward Jacobs because Cummins has endorsed it and been involved with the development. Does Pacbrake have any similar buy-in from Cummins?

What are the main advantages of the pacbrake setup other than the aux. air supply?

What problems have the Jacobs systems had?

What are the reasons for Jacobs using a vacuum system vs. the Pacbrake using positive air pressure?

You guys that have the Pacbrake systems: Have you owned or had experience with the Jacobs systems and compared them directly?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I was pretty much set on Jacobs, and you guys have got me thinking about going with the Pacbrake.

I don't know anyone personally with the pacbrake, but know a few with the Jacobs. Everyone that I know with the Jacobs system loves it and would not trade it for anything. (but they have not tried the pacbrake either)
Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Pacbrake and love it. $1250 installed by my dealer.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dieselengineer
When running a 5 inch exhaust, I am trying to not place an additional flow restriction in the smallest part of the exhaust system ie the outlet of the turbo. Has anyone experienced reduction in performance with addition the 4 inch pac brake to a open exhaust system. The valve must add additional pressure drop the total system in the open position.

Last dyno run I made was 607 HP with the Pac Brake behind my HTB2. I don't know if there's more there by removing it or not but I was happy with it. Maybe next time I dyno I will try it with the stock cast elbow on there. Might be an interesting test.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rough-n-Ready
I was pretty much sold on the Jacobs exhaust brake system, you guys prefer the Pacbrake set-up. I lean toward Jacobs because Cummins has endorsed it and been involved with the development. Does Pacbrake have any similar buy-in from Cummins?

What are the main advantages of the pacbrake setup other than the aux. air supply?

What problems have the Jacobs systems had?

What are the reasons for Jacobs using a vacuum system vs. the Pacbrake using positive air pressure?

You guys that have the Pacbrake systems: Have you owned or had experience with the Jacobs systems and compared them directly?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I was pretty much set on Jacobs, and you guys have got me thinking about going with the Pacbrake.

I don't know anyone personally with the pacbrake, but know a few with the Jacobs. Everyone that I know with the Jacobs system loves it and would not trade it for anything. (but they have not tried the pacbrake either)
My dad has a Jacobs on his 06 48RE. The only thing I like about it is the fact that it's quieter than my air compressor for the Pac. I don't like the extra draw on the belt driven accessory nor do I like the vacuum system. Too much to go wrong and be stuck without the extra long belt, etc. Other than that they work about the same as far as we can tell. I have read about some of the solenoids failing on the Jacobs but have never seen it personally. I have never read or heard about a Pac failing but I'm sure it happens. With experience using both, I would pick the Pac again. It seems much less complicated and I installed it in about 3 hours on my truck taking my time. The stock ECU controls both the same so the function is there for either. I know the Jacabs is warranteed by Dodge but I don't have a warranty anyway so I didn't really care about that so much. Besides, the Jacobs is only warranteed for a year anyway. Having either is better than having none though.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned

the pac brake has more braking hp than the jake in the lower rpms. since i have an auto i dont down shift it like i would a manual to provide additional stopping power from the higher rpms. i have the jake and it was very affordable, but its not the best IMO

brett
Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 PM

Talking

ANSWER: The Pacbrake is pressure regulated, meaning the back pressure you have at max RPM is going to be almost the same at 1200 RPM’s thus giving you ¾ more retarding in the lower rpm range. This brake will slow you down up to 5 football fields sooner then a fix orifice (competitor’s brakes) exhaust brake. To add to the quality and life of the brake we nitrite the casting, this fills the little porosity holes in the casting to prevent rust and carbon from forming resulting in long hassle free life.

What problems have the Jacobs systems had? I will leave this to the guys that own the Jake.

What are the reasons for Jacobs using a vacuum system vs. the Pacbrake using positive air pressure? We went with air for faster activation, and it is build uponable so that you can add air suspension or what ever else you might need air for.

I don't know anyone personally with the pacbrake, but know a few with the Jacobs. Everyone that I know with the Jacobs system loves it and would not trade it for anything. (but they have not tried the pacbrake either) Here is the deal Pacbrake offers a 35 day money back guarantee with it’s PRXB if your not happy pull it off (no one take us up on this) and we will send you your money back. What does Jake offer?

Now the 5’ vs. the 4” brake, neither brake impedes the performance of your engine, the turbo is 4” out so is our brake, your 5’ exhaust flange should taper down to meet up to the factory turbo outlet which won’t be an issue with the brake. The 5” brake comes with two 5’ adaptor’s the will need to be welded in then the brake will bolt to the adaptors with two v-clamps.