3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust

has any one seen any gains from taking the cat out? i have an 06 2500 and im wondering if ill gain anything from it. also if i go cat less how loud is it? thanks!

chris
Old 06-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

we should not be discussing removing a federally mandated emissions component on a public forum. Pm sent.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM

ok?

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Old 06-06-2007, 03:14 PM

Wow.....what else can't we discuss? Its all over the internet on diesel boards about removing the muffler and cat.

I haven't removed my cat, just the muffler. Throttle response is better and the noise is nice, maybe a little gain, but not measured.

Bob
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

the site management has asked us not to, when you joined the site you agreed not to, so since it is a free site, we should abide by the rules and wishes set by the owners.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:36 PM

What are you serious?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

Yep. been here awhile, and seen it dealt with many times. you can discuss what you like, as long as it follows the site rules. you read(hopefully) the forum rules when you joined the site.
you dont see folks blasting off with every curse word in the book here do you? because #1 they arent allowed(family site) and #2 respect for others.
same thing. here, i'll post it for you so you can refresh for yourselves.
Forum Rules
You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, racially based or biased, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you and you show proof of ownership or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material and you can show proof of consent. In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 AM

So what about the posts about going straight pipe? Thats removing a factory installed muffler and replacing it with a pipe....no muffler....removing an emmisions component.

I'm not trying to start a fight, just wondering were it starts and stops on what to talk about.

I also don't go blasting off and cursing. I rely on fact and figures rather the call someone a stupid name....doesn't solve anything.

Bob
Old 06-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

a muffler is not an emissions device, the feds could care less.
your local law enforcement may care do to noise levels.

i didnt intend for you to feel like you were name calling, sorry if that's how it can across, just using it as an example.

tell ya what, how about pm'ing lary, phox mulder, wannadiesel, or any of the mods and ask them to clarify since i am not doing a good job of it.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 AM

A muffler is not an emmisions device.....learn something new everyday.

I didn't take offense to the foul language item. I know how some people get and it is ridiculious how some people get when it gets to name calling....doesn't solve anything.

You are doing what you can do to make me understand the rules....i'm just hard headed. I've just never heard of someone asking me not to talk about "removing the cat". I now understand and will try to obied(sp) by the rule. Not a problem..... I was just trying to understand what we can and can't talk about.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:48 AM

Actually, it is illegal to modify factory exhaust in any way. The whole system is considered "emmisions" covered. Noise is an "emmision" according to the EPA.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Hey guys, I was just wondering, how is talking about removing the cat illegal? I know you (Dodgezilla) always jump in on this subject about not talking about it, but "talking" about removing the cat is not illegal. Actually removing it is. Anyone on here talking about doing Burnouts, seeing how fast they can get to 60mph, 1/4 mile times, talking about drag racing, telling everyone how much smoke they can puff out, talking about any, ANY exhaust other than the STOCK DODGE FACTORYetc., etc., would be breaking these rules just as someone talking about removing a cat would be. So if this is the case, why does everyone talk about all these other things, but only get spoken to over the cat deal. All of these other items are breaking laws as well, display of power, speeding, emmisions, etc., etc.. Just my 2 cents worth.
By the way, BMH is right about the exhaust. Most state laws say, you can only replace a FACTORY EXHAUST, with a FACTORY DIRECT REPLACEMENT. Which includes pipe, Muffler, Cat, even exhaust exit location. Which most of the aftermarket mufflers are not. Again just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Removing the cat is a Federal crime and as such we do not advocate it here and prefer you don't discuss it.