3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Elusive interior leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Elusive interior leak!

I've been noticing that after a good rain, the carpet along the front passenger doorsill is wet. So immediately after a big downpour last week, I ran out to the truck to see it in action. Sure enough, there's a small but steady stream of water running down the A-pillar cover from underneath the little cover above the handle. The question is has anyone experienced something similar and what did it turn out to be. It's still under warranty, but I want to give the squealership the benefit of your collective wisdom to hopefully keep them from tearing apart my interior in a random search.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:52 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have cab lights?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 PM

Good thinking, steelblitzkrieg, but no cab lights.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check your door molding...any wind noise from that side?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:13 AM

oh and another body man trick....take a dollar bill and put it in between the door and molding and shut the door with some of the dollar sticking out and try and pull the dollar out. it should have some pretty good drag! Do that where ever you think it is coming from!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:35 AM

My first check point would be the sunroof. I had a similar leak in my '06 mega cab and was getting water at the passenger A-pillar and back at the dome light. The sunroof has a built in draining system and if the drain gets clogged water builds up and finds a way into the cab. I couldn't tell you how it gets in but in my truck it would accumulate in the head liner and when I would take off it looked like a hose going off in my back seat. If the '05 seats are anything like the '06 seats then water has a tendancy to stain them. Any ways I took the truck in three times before the dealer finally replaced the entire sunroof.
P.S. The stains in the seat never did come out.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 AM

I have never needed to do this but I have seen at a Marina they had a garden hose duck taped to the window. The water was running on a corner of the window. I assume they had a leak and were verifying it was fixed. I would try that on your truck. Start low and work your way up. Do not need a lot of water just enough flow to cover an area of choice. Working your way up the truck at least you will know where its not leaking.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:36 AM

Thumbs up Update

Thanks, everyone! It turned out that one of the sunroof drain tubes was almost completely pinched off from the factory. It took almost three years for the rest of it to clog, at which point things overflowed into the interior. That means it was covered under warranty, but an obvious factory defect such as this should be covered basically forever. Anyway, the dealership found and fixed it without having to do much exploratory surgery. We've had a couple of downpours here since and all seems tight.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:03 PM

I have the same kind of problem. After a hard rain theirs a small puddle of water on the floor by the rear of the drivers door and in the weather stripping. It's only on a hard rain though and I don't want to take it to the dealership for some this miniscule though.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:45 PM

I understand that, but it might not be as miniscule as it seems. In my case, the water was running down the inside of the A-pillar cover into the dashboard area and collecting in the footwell. The side airbag may have gotten wet too. Everything still works, but who knows what has been affected back there! I probably could have fixed the leak more easily myself, but I wanted the dealership to document exactly what leaked and when.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM

There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out for the front windows that had leaks coming from that same location or grab handle. (http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/23-003-04.htm).

What the TSB stated was the roof seams located under the door seals were not properly taken care of at the factory with filler or sealant and the fix would be to apply some RTV to those areas.

Fredbert, glad to here that the dealership came through and was able to fix your leak from the sun roof. I thought about ordering a truck with one, but decided not too. Since my truck stays parked outside year round and summer hail storms can be nasty to sun roofs. Not to mention thieves too.

Shawn
Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 PM

I had a body seam issue with mine also but it was on the passenger side under the back window. A little silicon sealer fixed it. This was done under warranty and the dealership I used took it to a body shop that was in town so they didn't take anything apart. That reminds me I probably need to check it as it has been about 3.5 years and we do get a little rain around here.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 AM

I have the same leak. I also have vinyl floors. the water in my pickup is coming from the dash. I drips off the heater blower motor.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM

my 07 was te same way where i park at work my truck points down hill the leak would be along the righta pillar put if parked the other way no leak , dealer found tubes pinched off up front where it drains down a pillar