3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electrical problem after repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Question Electrical problem after repair

My right side running lights do not work.
Front right, both dually side markers and the right rear tail light.

The signals and brake work. Checked the bulbs, all fine. I am unable to reach in and get a meter on any of the connections.
I always thought if a light did not work or there was a fault like this, there would be a light on the dash.

Left side lights all work up to the plate light...it works too.

any ideas?

Scotty
Old 04-14-2005, 11:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
did you check all the fuses?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could it be they are not grounded?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:06 AM

Fill out your info so we can help you better.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:50 PM

If this happened after a repair, you probably have a wire that got disconnected or pinched and broken. Look in the general area of whatever the repair was. By the way, what type of repair did you have done? and what are the specifics of the vehicle you are working on?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sure sounds like the harness got unplugged or pinched, but guess you already figured that. What I'd try is to start from the front light. Follow the harness back to the main bundle and give each connector a good look. Bet you will find that one of the connectors just ain't quite right. Don't know about the lamp out indicator.

Ed

By the way, found your pictures of Wild. Nice Job!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:06 PM

Sounds to me like you might have the wires being grounded somewhere other than at their terminals, in which case current could be carried through the lines and thus not cause the lamp out indicator to light up.

By the way, the rig sure is lookin' great! Maybe the accident was a good thing
(not that it wasn't great B4)

Ken
Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Checked the fuses, the grounds, the bulbs and nothing 'appears' to be wrong or out of place.
I am unable to get my skinny little arms up in some of the spots to get a meter on this.

The truck was in an accident...its an 04 sport
I had the front headlights replaced, this is where I think the problem is. If I could get my hand in behind the headlight to unplug it, I would take it out and do some checking.
I think I can unfasten the headlight from the front for easy access. I will call the dealer to see if they have a spare headlight assembly and try it too. Or maybe the connection at the front was damaged and I need a new plug.

Scotty
thanks for the compliments and the feedback.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:22 PM

Did you figure it out yet Scotty? I don't think it would be a fuse because that would shut off all the parking lights. It wouldn't be a disconnected connector if the Turn and brake lights work because the rear lights should all go through the same connector. It wouldn't be a short to ground, because that would blow the fuse for all the parking lights. That leaves a broken wire somewhere. I believe power for those lights should come from the the BCM. It should run through a connector in the passenger kick panel. I could try and get you a wire color Saturday at work. Let me know
Old 04-15-2005, 10:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
scotty double check fuse # 32 -10amp hope this helps
Old 04-16-2005, 05:03 PM

Scotty,
sent you a couple of jpegs from service manual.

Fuse 15 50a to "park lamp relay"

fuse 32 or 33
Old 04-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Update
After messing with this and other crap I encountered from the bodyshop... ...

I thought maybe the wiring to the rear plate on the Road Armor Bumper was the problem so I unhooked it. Still no lights on the right side. I then traced all the wires and no signs of chafing, cuts or nicks.
So then I figure I better double check #32 as suggested here and swap it out for a new one.
Turn the lights on and POP, blown fuse. Visually the first fuse does not look like its blown, the metal is not melted. Ok so now I know something is tripping the fuse. I decided to hook the back plate light up again and it works fine. I unravelled the wires that were zip tied up out of the way for the rear PIAA lights, they had water in them and we had them taking power from the leads at the back of the truck. I unplugged them, put the fuse back in, POP! another fuse gone.
I rechecked all the bulbs from right to left and all bulbs are good.
The only thing changed by the bodyshop on that side was the front right headlight assembly.

Since I have no intention of taking my truck to the bodyshop again for them to spray primer all over the engine bay, door sills and door jams [There got that off my chest] and they dropped a wrench on the drivers fender while I watched and then tried to deny it and now theres a big CHIP out of the paint!
I will take it to the dealer I know and trust, get them to fix the primer overspray and find the electrical problem.

I spent 9 hours trying to detail out the truck that was supposed to be cleaned and detailed as part of one of the insurance claims. The cloth MOPAR bed cover is permanently painted, the polishing compound is all over the entire truck...ok, enough of my off topic rant

I will post what the dealer finds out this week.

I have learned something though.

Scotty
Old 04-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Truck goes in on Weds.

It was suggested to check the cab lights for a short due to moisture. All is dry and they are on the right side fuse...no visible problems in there either.

Scotty
Old 04-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Top's Younger Twin

I spent the better part of my morning and then again my afternoon at the dealer.

I had the bodyshop manager look over the truck and he was appalled at the job. Its a total mess, overspray etc etc ...too much to list.

Back to the wiring. The front left corner had the fuse box out and inner fender out...wires all over the place. The short has been traced to the steering column...this was supposed to have been fixed from the accident.

Here is whats on the report for the fix...

"Removed steering column as steering jams and clunks when turning. Found a loose bolt, removed it and reassembled it."

I was told they repaired some brackets. Anyway, the dealer asked me if the bodyshop told me where the bolt came from. LOL No and they did not even make an effort to see where it came from.
The dealer is certain that the bolt caught a wire and we should pull the column to see where the missing bolt came from and fix it right.

I also see the insurance adjusters' supervisor about getting someone else to fix the screw ups on the truck. Its sad to say but two bodyshops have now told me the only way to fix it is to wet sand, clear coat and polish the entire truck. The door sills had so much overspray they used a solvent to remove it and took the clearcoat too so those need to be repainted and the bodyshop mgr said the clearcoat is so thin that he fears they will hit the base paint and then its a complete repaint. We found hard water stains under the clearcoat as well as fish eyes, ripple like waves of clearcoat, missing areas of clearcoat, overspray on the engine and under side of hood and the list goes on and on. All the glass is spattered with a mist of overspray too.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed with all this and I am certain it will get done right...sometime in the near future.

Scotty

When I called the owner of the bodyshop about the lights he said;"Just don't drive it at night."
Old 04-21-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
And they wonder why customers are questioning their work! Stick it to them Scotty! All the money consumers pay, vehicles, insurance, tax, time off from work and so on. You would think people would show some respect towards each other and provide quality for the money that is being tossed around. I wonder what those individuals that worked on your truck would say if the cards were reversed. I just don't get IT! I hope it all turns out for you. Sounds like an insurance fraud to me.