3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electrical Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Electrical Help

Hey Guys,

My lil bro has gone and goobered up his truck. I've been busy lately and haven't had time to do much research on his situation. He's in an area with limited Internet access. So I took a minute to post this for him. Any insight or info will be helpful.

This is the info he sent me.

I do know he put the solenoid in as a relay on the power for the amp so that he could switch it on as he wanted.

Wired in cb, 350 watt amp, 12 volt solenoid, switch.

1 main power and 1 main ground coming in from drivers side battery, through the boot below the steering column ( not sure what runs through it). Both wires were wired into distribution blocks that were screwed down into the metal plate located below the steering wheel assembly. Next to both distribution blocks 12v solenoid was screwed in. All wires for cb were ran through the center cup holder. Amp was mounted under drivers seat. Wires for amp were ran down drivers side to under the seat. Once installation was complete truck was turned on to find ebrake light, abs light, and check engine light on. Neither 3 lights will turn off. Checks codes and I am getting U011a
U0121 codes. Checked all fuses, and disconnected both batteries for one hour. Did not work. When cels are cleared no lights go away and same codes are thrown instantly. If you need pics I can get them.

Truck is 07 Mega 4x4 6.7 68re

Thanks in advance guys.

I'm thinking he may have shorted something and be having TIPM issues.

Blake
Old 11-20-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Blake, it sounds like he has a stray strand of wire somewhere, causing a loss of ground. This can throw the TIPM for a loop.

He should check all his wiring again, and make 100% sure that nothing is jumping even the slightest bit of power to ground.

IF he doubts what is going on, then disconnect the wiring that he added in, and see if the problem persists. If it does, he has a wider range of issues, if disconnecting his new wiring at the power / ground source makes his problem go away, time to go hunting. At least he'll know where all his connections are.

These things can be a bit of a pig to find.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 AM

Thank You Brother Pind

The TIPM is the only complaint I have on the 06 and up trucks. Ridiculously over complicated and in my opinion, unnecessary system.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 PM
'Little Blake'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys, problem is bigger then expected. Dissconnected all wiring done by myself and still throwing same cel. Clear cel's and the instantly come back. Any thoughts on where to start?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Fuse 30 in TIPM module is labled as spare. This fuse actually supplies power to the ABS module and 02 module.If a customer removes fuse 30 in the TIPM, the above codes will set.Ensure Fuse 30 is not missing or blown if Codes are active. Ensure Fuse has not been removed and reinstalled if codes are stored. Install fuse and clear codes.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Fuse 30 in TIPM module is labled as spare. This fuse actually supplies power to the ABS module and 02 module.If a customer removes fuse 30 in the TIPM, the above codes will set.Ensure Fuse 30 is not missing or blown if Codes are active. Ensure Fuse has not been removed and reinstalled if codes are stored. Install fuse and clear codes.
Just heard from slade. Issue fixed. He had used that fuse as a spare. You sir are a genius. A hearty Thank You!

Sent from my iPod Shuffle using Tapatalk