3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electrical Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Fiasco

I have multiple minor problems that have taken a turn for the worst. (1)To start my driver side mirror on my SLT is doing something wierd. Im assuming the mirror uses a left/right and an up/down motor. If i situate the mirror horizontal the left right motor will not operate. Up and down works great. Now if I situate it vertical (motors now switched i assume) the mirror will again not go left or right but will go up and down. so if i wanted to i can switch the mirror vertical to adjust one way then back to horizontal to adjust the other. heres the kicker if i switch to the passenger mirror, everything works properly. (2) My radio likes to cut off and on with the turn of the ignition. not as in it stops playing sound as in it shutts off completely like it wont receive power. it seems to be the ignition, sometimes if i sit and recrank the truck a few times the radio will come on. if i dont get the radio to turn on with the ignition it wont ever turn on if it does come on it stays on and wont turn off during operation. (3) my blower for the ac and heat has now started its run just like the stereo. all the same symptoms as my radio off and on at the turn of the key. when it does come on heat and ac mork great. (4) my breaklight has started acting up as well. my passenger tailight has two bulbs one on top that only illuminates for running lights in conjunction with headlights. the bottom has two operations, it illumates as well as the top when lights are on and even brighter when i apply the breaks. the passenger bottom tailight however will not react to my breaking but will illuminate when i turn on my headlights so it seems its not the bulb that is the issue. i do not know if this problem is connected to the ignition like the radio or blower. (5) same as my stereo the electric brake controller will come on and off at random with the turn of the key. I know this is alot for one post but it just all came at me at once. I guess my real question is do I need to troubleshoot these problems individually or could this be a master problem something with the computer perhaps. any ideas will be a great help thank you.

06 Ram 3500 SLT 4x4 5.9L
Old 03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Are your batteries in good shape? Lots of folks have noticed some very strange issues when the batteries start losing power. Also, there have been ignition switch problems as well.....my '03 being one of them.

Just a couple of places to start.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhenson
Are your batteries in good shape? Lots of folks have noticed some very strange issues when the batteries start losing power. Also, there have been ignition switch problems as well.....my '03 being one of them.

Just a couple of places to start.

+1

Look at the battery and cables first. These cause weird gremlins all over the truck when they're going out.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the replies and yes I have put that into motion as of yesterday. I bought the lug cleaners and everything. About the only thing I haven't done is replace the entire cable lines and or the batteries im leaving that as my last deffensive option. its pretty expensive to go that route. about the only quirk that seemed to correct itself after i tried that was the electric brake controller. It now seems to be working just fine. However I just made my weekend run from Charleston to raleigh without the blower or the stereo ugh. Ill look into the ignition thanks. what symptons did your ignition show if you dont mind me asking?

06 Ram 3500 SLT 4x4 5.9L
Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM

replaced bulb fixed that one. bulb has two filaments i should've known.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Well, my ignition switch is still on the replacement list. In any forward postion everything is fine. Switched to accessory....nothing....Have to use a small wedge (toothpick in my case) to hold the switch in a position that it will make contact.

As far as the batts being low, my only symptoms were very strange radio/cd memory occurances!!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:04 PM

From what i've heard it sounds like i have a battery malfunction of some sort. Might just make a replacement now. thanks again