3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

E rated, or D rated tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the weight rating on my load rating D tires is more than sufficient for the loads I place on the tires and I am not over-inflating the tires, then what seems to be the problem? True, an E rated tire has stronger sidewalls and tread area, but if I run a D rated tire and stay within the tires specs, I don't understand why that is going to create a problem. Especially considering when 70% of the time Im empty and it doesn't matter. The ride is much nicer too.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:31 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmc243
Quick tire lesson.

First the ply ratings were originated when they used to use cotton as the side wall material, (before my time, and that’s been a long, long time ago) not relevant anymore. The industry then switched to load range A=2 plys, B=4 plys, C= 6 plys, D=8 plys, E=10 plys etc. Here’s where it get a little confusing.

For any given tire size (265/75R16 for example), the Load range actually determines the amount of air pressure you can put in the tire. For a tire with a load range of C you can put a maximum of 50lbs of air in, a load range of D, a max of 65lbs of air in, and a load range of E a maximum of 80lbs of air in. The amount of air that you put in the tire determines the amount of weight that tire can safely handle, (using the same size tire, different sizes will handle different weights).

Let go back to our example tire a 265/75R16, at 50lbs of air this size tire is rated to handle a maximum of 2470lbs, at 65lbs of air this tire is rated to handle a maximum of 3000lbs of air, at 80lbs of air the tire is rated to handle a maximum of 3415lbs.

It doesn’t matter what load range your tire is, if it is inflated to 50lbs of air that tire is rated to handle 2470lbs. even though it is a load range E, if you need it to handle more weight you must put in more air pressure.
Not. The number of plys is not related to the load rating on modern radials. They are almost always 2 ply tires with two steel belts. The BFGs are three ply sidewall. This holds true for load ratings at least through E. The two ply design with steel belts is such a succesful design that they are just made with heavier belts, etc. to accomodate different load ratings. And the weight capacity they can carry is not always 2470 at 50 PSI. It is related to the size of the tire. Go read the sidewall on some various size tires and you'll see waht I mean

The factory tire is load range E and if I was picking between two tires of the same size and brand I would pick E over D for my truck. But I am currently running D (BFG) because the E was not available in the size and tread pattern I wanted, and because I don't exceed the load rating clearly molded into the tire's sidewall. The 285s have as high or higher weight capacity as the 265s that came on the truck. And, I would have picked the load range E if it was available at the time, but it wasn't.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bighornram
If the weight rating on my load rating D tires is more than sufficient for the loads I place on the tires and I am not over-inflating the tires, then what seems to be the problem? True, an E rated tire has stronger sidewalls and tread area, but if I run a D rated tire and stay within the tires specs, I don't understand why that is going to create a problem. Especially considering when 70% of the time Im empty and it doesn't matter. The ride is much nicer too.
What about the 30%?? A D tire will not pass inspection on a Cummins Ram if you have safty inspection in your state.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:03 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buddy26
Im getting new BFs under michelin warranty, ? is sears says D rated would last as long. Do these trucks need the E rating.
It sounds like Sears is trying to sell you something while having no thought for what you need. D and E is not about tire wear, it's about load capacity, puncture resistance, safety, etc. If you stay with the original size but drop the load rating you may be setting yourself up for a problem. I changed to D from E but I increased the size and compared the carrying capacity on the sidewall of each tire. I wanted the BFGs and I settled for the D rating because the E was not available.

Run from Sears and get some better tires from a competent tire store. Another thing they do is set you up with free flat repair, but they just plug the leak with yarn instead of an inside patch. Bad.

While you're at Sears remember to NOT buy a battery there. Remember the expose' about them re-selling used batteries? My Dad had to get three batteries from them before one would hold a charge, then I saw the news story and thought hmmmmm.

Wetspirit
Old 01-03-2007, 05:31 PM

I will use what rating is listed in the owners manual, sure would hate to have a claim denied because of tires. Or worse yet have or be in some sort of traffic fatality (your or others fault), you will have DOT or FDOT all over that truck like a fox in a hen house. We can discuss this matter until we all are blue in the face but it comes down to this: there are two things that will keep you alive on the road, one your brakes and two your tires. And I think everyone will agree each and every ones family is way more important than a wrong rated tire on a truck!

floridagc
Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Say yes to "E's"

It only took a near catastrophic blowout@65mph using "D" rated tires to make a believer out of me. Damage to my '99 came to $3350.00,all in about 15 secs. Never again. It's like a lot of things in life,I learned the hard way. Luckily I didn't hurt anybody else with my stupidity.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 PM

Tires

A lot of good info here. There's a reason they put E rated stock now, but that is probably CYA(advice of lawyers).
Most people don't run at max pressure unless they are towing. It can be a pretty rough ride. It is a pain to adjust pressures all of the time, but I do. I go max.(80 psi) when I pull my toyhauler, then down to 60 when not towing. Thinking of going down to 50. Sticker says 60 front 70 rear on 265 x 70 x 17's.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 PM

Wink

Hey Pop Pop, since you are the one that has broken axles and "busted"tires ,maybe you should be one asking questions and taking notes instead of giving advice. Sounds like you are the one that had a grocery getter. I've never broken axles and overloaded tires to "busting" while logging, hauling mules or backhoes, tractors etc. Maybe that's how you got your nickname POP- POP
Old 01-03-2007, 09:06 PM

D rated tires are oem on the power wagons same truck different engine and I bet the gross weight is not that much diff I will go by the load rating #s d e dont matter to me IF it were that big of a liability I doubt that dealers would modify trucks with them prior to sale my .02
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Riddler69
A lot of good info here. There's a reason they put E rated stock now, but that is probably CYA(advice of lawyers).
Most people don't run at max pressure unless they are towing. It can be a pretty rough ride. It is a pain to adjust pressures all of the time, but I do. I go max.(80 psi) when I pull my toyhauler, then down to 60 when not towing. Thinking of going down to 50. Sticker says 60 front 70 rear on 265 x 70 x 17's.
The door sticker doesn't have all the info on tire pressure. Your owner's manual will have info on recommended pressure for running empty or light loads. I run my '04 at 55 front, 45 rear.

Re, the discussion on load capacity, on my '98 2500 diesel ram, I went up one size on tire size (245 to 265) and dropped one range (E to D). Had within 50 pounds of the same load capacity at equivalent pressures. Naturally, you can't go to 80psi on a D tire. The truck sure looked better with the larger tires. Never had any problem with the D's.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 PM

Right on Nitis
Old 01-03-2007, 09:19 PM

I would stick with "E" rated,it is better to be over prepared then under. My moms 96 'Burban 1500 Even has "E" rated tires, anything my family has owned that is a 1/2 ton up has gotten "E" rated tires unless it called for heavier.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by nelrod
Hey Pop Pop, since you are the one that has broken axles and "busted"tires ,maybe you should be one asking questions and taking notes instead of giving advice. Sounds like you are the one that had a grocery getter. I've never broken axles and overloaded tires to "busting" while logging, hauling mules or backhoes, tractors etc. Maybe that's how you got your nickname POP- POP
Well, I have learned some things over the years. That's why I finally moved up to a heavy duty CTD Dodge. On occasion I see 1/2 ton pickups squashed down from being way overloaded. I also see pickups carrying campers that are way beyond their load rating. Remind me to tell you about losing an axle on a F-150 while carrying 4000 lbs of cattle (actual scale measurement)! Jacked up trucks with big funky tires look tough, too, but aren't worth a d... carrying a heavy load safely.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 PM

You can get Dueler Revo and/or the Pirelli Scorpion ATR in "E" rating. Both excellent choices.....
The BFG's do look good but.....I don't know, I chose the Pirellis, and I'm happy....so far 4000 mi (knock on wood). I would stick with "E"s

Old 01-03-2007, 10:57 PM

Pop-Pop - -Seriously, sounds like you know what you are doing. I've learned a few things the hard way over the years too. My D's are rated to carry more than the
E's I replaced. That being said, If I hauled heavy every day, I would opt. for E rated. Heck, I even have 10 plys on my horse trailer. Gotta protect my beloved mules. I agree about jacked up trucks. My stock is too high for my taste, had to raise dang horse trailer, now it looks like a 4WD Horsetrailer.

Quick Reply: E rated, or D rated tires