3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

DW on an 06 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DW on an 06 ?

Thinking of getting an 06 3500 srw cc short box. Has anyone experienced the infamous death wobble on the 06 model year? I am getting out of 04 F-250 cc fx4 6.0. I need more probs with my next truck like I need to stick my peeter in a meat grinder. Anyway, just trying to find a good truck and the DW threads are scaring me from buying the Dodge
Old 02-20-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None here, but with only 1000 on the clock. The '03 I had did not have the DW either. Both are and were stock everything. I have followed some of the postings of the DW and it appears to me that it comes along when larger tires are added or a lift of some sort is installed.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:44 PM

I need more probs with my next truck like I need to stick my peeter in a meat grinder

Oweeee!!(Just another reminder to stay away from the powerjokes!)
Old 02-20-2006, 07:50 PM

Hi, EQUIPPRO,

Not to make light of your concern, but we're at a Dodge diesel RAM forum, and the folks you find here are not typical owners and only by counting the number with similar reports can we find out if we have typical problems even within this group.

If death wobble were a *typical* problem, we would hear about it on the nightly news and see warning messages from public safety groups on our billboards. Instead, it's a common enough problem to have earned an acronym HERE. Yes, here where the towers, the pullers, the dyno guys, and the modifyers are. Here where those who have lifts and who run outsize tires and different suspension components can be found.

As far I know, and somebody will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, the death wobble problem is not even a blip on the radar of the safety groups, and every post I've seen about it here eventually was resolved by the victim saying either that they got rid of the problem or got rid of the truck.

My friend, I would not let this worry keep me up nights or keep me from having a great truck.

Lamar
Old 02-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Chapter President

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them. Great forum for Ram owners and I will soon be one myself.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Equippro,

Welcome to DTR and welcome to the dark side!

You'll find that everyone on this site is more gracious and courteous than on the Ford sites.

You'll also find that we'd even help out a Cheby owner in the middle of the night if asked to!

Warning: Once you have come to the darkside (Cummins) you will never go back! LOL!

Good luck with your new toy!

Rick
Old 02-20-2006, 09:48 PM

Welcome to the Dodge side. Sorry to hear of your problems with the flower stroke.Really, I do feel for the guys that dumped a ton of dough and got nothin' but problems.
I wouldn't worry much about DW, my family has had 14 gen.2&3 trucks with out one experiance of DW. I personaly know of one guy that had the DW. I think it happens it's just not wide spread.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 PM

My 04.5 had the death wobble. But I had the leveling front suspension done to it. Needless to say a very scary ordill at 80 mph. I did trade it in for a 06 with some concerne. The salesmen told me that Dodge had changed alot of things on the front ends from 04-06. What I can tell you is that the steering is alot sturdier and tighter on the 06 than the 04.5. To this date I have not experianced the death wobble in my 06.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 AM

I read on here that E rated tires did not do the DW. Only oversized D rated tires have the problem. I'm sure there are other things too, I just resd that E rated tires fixed it for some.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 AM

I believe the alignment specs have changed for 06... should be less prone to death wobble.

I've never experienced true death wobble... but I did have the trackbar fall off my 05 at 70 mph (dealers fault, not Dodge's... Mac Haik in Houston was the dealer). Near total loss of steering control, and it shook the truck so hard I could not see out the windshield, the axle moved so much under the vehicle it dented the oil pan. I grabbed the wheel as hard as I could and stood on the brakes, it didn't stop wobbling until I had come to a complete stop. Fortunately is was on a four lane road late at night with little traffic.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:05 PM

My neighbor has a 05 dually 4x4 with 70k or so on it.With trailer hooked and horses on it he has recently had THREE episodes of death wobble at interstate speeds.Totaly STOCK truck.Just started this about a month ago.Said it shakes even the trailer badly when it happens.Going in to get looked at this week.Never has done it without trailer and it seems all three times was very shortly after FUELING.Weight transfer?