3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

dumb question: hat rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dumb question: hat rack

has anybody found a place to mount a hat rack inside their 3rd gen quadcab? On my 99, i mounted it using the screw for the passenger side visor retainer, but on this truck, thats a clip-in deal, no screw. I thought about one of the suction cup style holders, but im afraid the headliner is too high above the glass for it to work. for clarification, im talking about the wire style, spring loaded holder for a western hat/cowboy hat, whatever you wanna call it. mine sliding off the dashboard every time i turn is driving me nuts....
Old 10-19-2005, 11:49 AM

Hat Rack Issues

Now these are real truck issues !! ...Welcome to TEXAS...

Heres an idea,,get a nice big fluffy 60 inch bath towel in black and fold
it and tuck it and lay it and fit it over that huge dashboard to keep
the San Antonio sun from destroying it. Now your hat won't slide,,
your dash won't fade,, and you can yank it out and wash it any time.

Just a thought,, it works for me and I don't seem to use the defrost
feature very often if I keep the inside of my windshield clean.

What about mounting your hat rack on the back of the passenger seat ??

You know,, right next to your shotgun rack.....HOUTEX...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:32 PM

Rednecks have needs too ya know

hahaha...yeah, i know, i almost didnt even ask because its a pretty wimpy question and i knew some flaming was in order. LOL. especially to a newbie like me. BUT....i havent figured it out on my own, so i had to do something! I didnt think about the dash cover/towel, but thats a good idea. I had a cover on the dash of my 99 to try and keep it from cracking, so thats a good dual purpose reason to get another. i thought about just mounting it in the middle of the back seat, i just hate to poke a hole in the headliner out in the middle where itd be so noticeable, but, if i have no other choice that might be what i do.

i've had this same rack in all my trucks, starting with my '86. LOL. it fit the best in there, right in the middle, no new-fangled trip computer back then!

"you can have my girl, but don't touch my hat"- Lyle Lovett
Old 10-19-2005, 01:10 PM

couple cops I know have a wire type hanger that hanges their mount-me hats from the passenger seat....lemme see if I can find one on the net
Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM

will these work?

http://www.omarksafety.com/category.cfm?acatid=120
Old 10-19-2005, 01:29 PM

the wheels are turning now

hmmm...thats pretty cool. i never have seen that before. I dont think those would work directly becasue of the lack of a firm ridge for it to hold onto....but that gives me an idea. i wonder if i could improvise off of that idea to mount the existing hat rack to hang off of the seat. maybe like an elastic band around the seat that attached to the hat rack to let it hang like that.

this is basically what i have now http://www.cavenders.com/product.asp...F%AE+Hat+Saver

but i just found this
http://www.cavenders.com/product.asp...ome+Hat+Hanger

although i'd prefer something alittle more permanent.......
Old 10-19-2005, 02:26 PM

I can only imagine the emotional anguish that you endure to drive your CTD with having to take your hat off
Old 10-19-2005, 02:51 PM

Easy Solution,

Just tighten the screw loose on top of the neck and place the hat there! Works everytime.

Joe
Old 10-19-2005, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my old hat saver like that and bolted it to a thin piece of hard fiber board. This way the hat saver has something hard to hold the hat against. Then used stap on top to hang over the passenger headrest and held the bottom with some small tie straps. BTW truck has enough head room for me to leave the hat on.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by SkyHarborCowboy
Easy Solution,

Just tighten the screw loose on top of the neck and place the hat there! Works everytime.

Joe
I don't care who you are but that is **** funny!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
I took my old hat saver like that and bolted it to a thin piece of hard fiber board. This way the hat saver has something hard to hold the hat against. Then used stap on top to hang over the passenger headrest and held the bottom with some small tie straps. BTW truck has enough head room for me to leave the hat on.
thats a good idea, i might try that.

mine has room to wear it, but the problem comes in on times when im NOT wearing it. if i climb in the truck after bustin hump all day and am hot as hell, the hat is one of the first things to come off to try to fight off a heat stroke. LOL. or.....some places that you dont really want to wear a hat to....they exist...even in the Republic of Texas
Old 10-20-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitebuffalo
thats a good idea, i might try that.

mine has room to wear it, but the problem comes in on times when im NOT wearing it. if i climb in the truck after bustin hump all day and am hot as hell, the hat is one of the first things to come off to try to fight off a heat stroke. LOL. or.....some places that you dont really want to wear a hat to....they exist...even in the Republic of Texas
Understood, acutally I wear mine less and less it seems. I need to quit wearing tennis shoes and go back to boots everyday. I just can't really leave the house with boots and no hat, just not dressed that way.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have got to take my hat off to drive my 2nd gen. The dang seat back is too tall and flips my hat over my eyes. I think I need a booster seat.

Ed