3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Dually driving expirience...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dually driving expirience...

I was thinking about getting a dually and a gooseneck trailer to haul mine and my friends 4x4 buggies.

I wanted to ask if there was anything difficult about driving a dually or if you dually drivers have any other advice that you think may be important or help me, then please, feel free to tell me.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:08 PM

Parking in lots is not as easy as a srw truck and drive-thru's are a no-no in most cases. Just remember, the rear is almost two feet wider than the front. If you keep your truck centered in your lane, you should have no problems at all. Remember, it is good exercise to park in the lower forty and walk to the store.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:49 PM

depends where you live. They're not the best on loose gravel or in deep snow, or when trying to follow in others' ruts in snow.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:55 PM

I found it easier to BACK into parking spots than to pull into them. I taught my 16 y.o. daughter that trick as well as some others and she took her driving test in the dually and passed on the FIRST try. Yeah, I was a proud "Pops" despite all the grief I got from her mother and relatives about making her take the test in my truck. I was a little worried with the paralell parking since they made her do it in a spot for cars only, but she did it and with STYLE. So I'm sure if you just remember what has already been said, the rear is wider than the front, you should be OK. I trained my daughter to use a spot on the wipers to line up with the outside lane line over the hood to keep the truck centered in the lane. That way if it's dark or bad weather and hard to see in the mirrors she will still know where the truck is positioned in the lane.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM

A Dually makes it a little more challenging for a daily driver. They are worse in the snow, tougher to park, won't fit in a normal size garage, etc. How often do you require the dually? If it was just once and a while I would find it hard to justify having the dually. But they are more stable when pulling, especially in high winds or when your load shifts. JMO
Old 06-08-2008, 02:21 PM

I need the truck pretty much everyday, the dually part of it I would only need about every weekend.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take all of it into account. It doesent really look like its practical for me to have a dually.

Also, what state are you guys in where they are still making people parallel park in their driving tests? The only thing that I had to do in mine a few years back was to back up straight along side a curb.

I didnt think that was hard, but youd be surprised how many people cant do something as simple as back along a curb.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:47 PM

I drive my dually daily. The only time it can be a little less the fun is when I have to drive it into NYC or Boston. Boston sucks no matter what your driving. Funny thing when people see my truck behind them they usually just get out of the way.
I had to bring a heavy load (4000 lbs) 200 miles while towing a heavy trailer (15,500 lbs) today and boy was I happy to have my dually. The truck handled it with absolute ease!
Good luck,
Topper
Old 06-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
use the trailer mirrors like cat whiskers and all will be fine. i can fit it into a lot of drive thrus including bank one it just takes time to get used to it
Old 06-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rich
use the trailer mirrors like cat whiskers and all will be fine. i can fit it into a lot of drive thrus including bank one it just takes time to get used to it
Therein lies the secret. Leave your trailer tow mirrors up and if your mirrors clear, your fenders will clear. Driving a dually on a daily basis isn't nearly as difficult as many make it out to be. All it requires is a bit more planning and attention be paid to the trip.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Chapter President

Many a time on a two lane skinny road i wonder how i missed that mail box!
Once you get used to driving one it's no big deal.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:52 AM

Remember, wide sweeping turns otherwise you'll eat up a lot of wheels and curbs.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by TheRedlines
Remember, wide sweeping turns otherwise you'll eat up a lot of wheels and curbs.
It's a Dually not a tractor trailer. Just take care driving it until you get it all figured out. No need for the wide sweeping turns & i don't eat up pass side tires either. It's my daily driver.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:06 AM
TAS

Watch them in the rain. Especially if it hasen't rained in a while and the oils come to the surface. They seem to slide easy.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:40 AM

I love driving mine, better stability. X2 on the parking in the south 40.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
It's a Dually not a tractor trailer. Just take care driving it until you get it all figured out. No need for the wide sweeping turns & i don't eat up pass side tires either. It's my daily driver.
I wish it wasn't the case but every time I hire a new driver, I can pretty much count on getting some scrapes polished out of the wheels.

Quick Reply: Dually driving expirience...