3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Drivers side window moans

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drivers side window moans

Hey guys. Sometimes when I put my drivers side window down it lets out a sick sounding moan, almost like the rubber on each side of the glass is squeezing it too tightly. Anyone else have this problem or know what it is? Sometimes it seems that my passenger window is also a little slower going down than the rest... Pretty small complaints for a new vehicle. Other than that I LOVE IT so far!!!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Drivers side window moans

Pay attention to the temperature, time of day etc that the window does this. Otherwise the Five Star dealer will say they can't duplicate or it's normal.

5 star must mean 5 times as dumb.

Probably needs to be realigned in the track.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try some silicon spray in the window tracks.

MikeyB
Old 11-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I always thought Five Stars meant the number of stars they have to see floating above their heads for DC to feel content that they are now brainwashed and totally under their control.

;D
Old 11-06-2003, 08:55 AM

My rear driver side window makes the same noise. It sounds like it's rubbing against the rubber seals but I'm not sure. It just started doing that a few days ago so I haven't looked at it yet. That's about the only complaint I have with this truck.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:22 PM

I've got the same proplem. Started about two weeks ago. Mine sounds more like something is scraping the glass than a moan. Will work fine for a few days and then start again. I haven't noticed any scratches yet. Still debating whether it will "moan" for the dealer or will I be wasting a day in the service dept.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:25 PM

[quote author=Guy L link=board=17;threadid=22048;start=0#msg206680 date=1068160967]
I've got the same proplem. Started about two weeks ago. Mine sounds more like something is scraping the glass than a moan. Will work fine for a few days and then start again. I haven't noticed any scratches yet. Still debating whether it will "moan" for the dealer or will I be wasting a day in the service dept.
[/quote]

I have the scrape too. It doesn't appear to be doing any damage to my window either. I tinted my front two windows and the tint film is just fine.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Banned

I remember something about a tsb for scraping of the windows. Was on TDR.
As was said, try silicone spray in the tracks. Put the window down 1/4 way and see if you can wiggle it side to side. If it is really tight you may need your tracks adjusted. Make sure it is not the weatherstrips on the door (at the bottom). These will make alot of noise if the glass is super clean or dirty. HTH
Old 11-06-2003, 07:15 PM

Could this also be descibed as somewhat of a "binding" sound as the window goes down? My wifes 300m makes that sound on the drivers side only. My new '04 makes a barely perceptable sound only on the drivers window like the wifes car , but hers is really noisey. Will mine get worse if I don't get it fixed? Hers sounded fine when we got it new but it sounds terrible now, and lastly any ideas how to fix this?

thanks,

Randy
Old 11-08-2003, 11:04 AM

I may take it in but I hate the dealer even touching my vehicles...Might try the silicon, but don't want to glop up my window. Let me know if anyone fixes this!
Old 11-15-2003, 08:02 PM

Mine doesn't moan, but I get a rattling sound from it if it's part-way down and I hit a bump. Anyone else get this rattle? Granted it's pretty minor, but at 4100 mi I am a little chapped that it rattling already. -Steve
Old 11-16-2003, 10:51 AM

Can someone explain exactly where to spray the silicon? What position do I put the window in when I spray.
Thanks,

Randy.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Move the window in the down position and spray the felt guide tracks on the window frame. Wipe off the excess and roll the window up and down a few times.
BTW, I did this on my rear sliding window gaskets to stop the annoying rattle when cold. Seem to do the trick.

MikeyB
Old 11-18-2003, 01:03 AM

Thanks, MikeyB. I will give it a try.

Randy.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:31 AM

Mine has changed from a moan to also a bit of a grinding/scraping sound now. Seems to be getting worse. Maybe the tracks are dirty or the window isn't lined up right. Either way, since my 6 disc changer is dead I'm gonna have the dealer just look at all of it... Seems like the silicon is just a band aid covering up a problem instead of fixing it.

Quick Reply: Drivers side window moans