3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Drivers Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers Power Window

My drivers power went out, I got it up but now it will not move.
The other windows work, I read about a relay?
Is there some thing to check before the dealer?
Thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 07:19 PM

I have been able to get power windows going again by giving the motor a good whack. If the motor is close to the door panel (which I don't know if it is or not), a blow with the side of your fist might get it working. Have the power on and be trying to operate the switch at the same time.
It will most likely be temporary. For an'03 to last this long you've done pretty good.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

you can check the fuse in the TIPM next to the emergency brake. That will tell you if there's no power getting to the switch. If it's good and you're able, turn the key on and check for voltage in that fuses location. That will tell if power is coming from the battery.

That's one thing to look at but, is only telling you about the switch. It could be several things though so a quick hook up to a scan tool at the dealer if the would work would be the easy way. It could be the motor is stuck ???
Old 07-28-2007, 11:07 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Check for dirt on the switch. I had a heck of a time with the "WDO" switch on the armrest of my truck. It apparently has a problem that no amount of dissassembly, compressed air and punching it can resolve. It is currently allowing me to operate all of the windows including the drivers so I taped over it so I wouldnt accidentaly hit it again. All of the switches had dirt on them, luckily pulling the panel doesnt require tools so cleaning them was a snap. Hope you dont have a motor or relay problem.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:17 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of times jsut slamming the door ( witht the switch pushed ) is enough to get the motor to work. When it went up, did it go slow, or just like normal? I have seen switches go bad, but the motor is more likely.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
A lot of times jsut slamming the door ( witht the switch pushed ) is enough to get the motor to work. When it went up, did it go slow, or just like normal? I have seen switches go bad, but the motor is more likely.
I was going to put the window up and it would not move, I held it and it jumped up a little at a time.
I have read that pulling the door planel is not that bad, is it like the old days with just door clips? Pull and brake them???
Thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 03:35 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

vzdude: Good thought on slamming the door while holding the switch. Had an old Chevy, had to slam the door about five times every time I needed to roll the window up. clifford: if you do pull the panel let me know how difficult it was. I have a little rattle that I wanted to investigate for four years but didnt want to damage anything.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Pulling the door panel is pretty easy, IIRC you have about 3 screws along the bottom to remove. Make sure to take the screw out of the door handle and then when the bottom is loose just slide the door panel up as the clips are more like hooks.

Not 100% sure this is how it is done as I had to change out the door latch/lock mechanism some months back and I do suffer from CRS but getting the panel off was pretty easy.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
REMOVAL
Remove the window crank, if equipped. (WINDOW CRANK REMOVAL TOOL)
Remove the interior handle. (Refer to 23 - BODY/DOOR - FRONT/INSIDE HANDLE ACTUATOR - REMOVAL)
Remove the screws at the mirror flag and near the inside handle. (TRIM PANEL ASSEMBLY)
CAUTION: Trim panel is attached to the door using hooks molded into the panel. Do not pull the trim panel straight off or damage to the panel and/or power switch assembly may occur.

Lift the trim panel up off the belt seal and attachment hooks and separate the panel from the door slightly.
Disconnect the power window switch electrical connector, if equipped, and remove the trim panel.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bark
vzdude: Good thought on slamming the door while holding the switch. Had an old Chevy, had to slam the door about five times every time I needed to roll the window up. clifford: if you do pull the panel let me know how difficult it was. I have a little rattle that I wanted to investigate for four years but didnt want to damage anything.
I pulled the door panel today, take the 2 screws out of the bottom, one in the middle,1 one one the front window post and the door handle. Take the switches out pry from front with screw driver when up move it forword and it is out, unplug the wires.
DO NOT DO the old pry tick like the olds days it dosnt work.
Just grab the bottom and lift straight up and it is off.
I say 5 mins NOW
Clifford
Oh I all ready made a apointment at the Dodge Sevice before I did this. There is water in the door panel and in the speaker I will let them fix it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Time to find out whats been rattling.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:32 AM

Clifford.... might as well cleanout your door drains while it is apart. If one door is not draining...the others will probably be in the same condition.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
Clifford.... might as well cleanout your door drains while it is apart. If one door is not draining...the others will probably be in the same condition.
I should have said real wet in side. The inside was not filled up.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Window UP date

I just got back from the dealer, they put in a new switch bank on the drivers door.
They picked up the tab.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:17 PM

clifford: They did it under warranty? How many miles do you have? My dealer said it wasnt covered anymore.

Quick Reply: Drivers Power Window