3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Drivers Door Lock Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers Door Lock Gremlin

I have read about broken wires, and bad actuators. My lock is random, sometimes it works with fob and button, sometimes it does not. It operates easily with key and inside handle at all times. When it is not operating electronically it does not operate at the 15 mph lock either.
I have searched for broken wires and have not been able to locate anything that looks bad.
Could the actuator be bad and work randomly? When it is not working I do not hear any movement in the actuator. I have not removed the actuator yet and check voltage there, I had it almost out but started to get dark so I reassembled it.
Does anyone know if there is a lock on the electrical connector? Things are so tight in there that I can not see and cn hardly feel afraid of just pulling on the plug and possibly breaking it.
AArgg anyones insight would be great..
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 AM

Did you check the wires in the sleeve between the door and the cab?

My buddy had several wires break on his 06 there.

It could be the switch maybe. Not sure how that interacts with the 15 MPH lock.

On my 03 the Power Window lock switch was sticking on. So I pulled the master switch out of the door and took it apart and cleaned it up. Works fine for now.

Next time it doesn't work pull the switch out and check and see if you don't have power. Then start tracing the wires back till you gain or lose power.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM

Glenn, thanks for the advice. I will check for power there. I have looked for broken wires since I have read alot about that. I pulled boot from the door side and the cab side and all wires appear fine. When not working it does not work from FOB or 15 mph auto lock. I am beginning to believe that maybe the latch is bad and the motor just happens to work every now and again. I saw a picture of a disassembled latch and it appears the motor could be bad or the gears strip and only catch every now and again. If I get power at the switch I think I will pop for the $45 latch and try it. I really hate to tear out the latch just to test then have to reinstall to drive while I order a latch if I find it is bad. I have found with my big hands it is difficult to pull the latch with all the rod connectors.
Has anyone had a latch go bad that did not make the door hard to unlock with the key or handle?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM

All my door locks have been 'hit or miss' since an aftermarket alarm install.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:33 PM

mine ended up being a bad actuator. took about an hr to swap it out.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Thanks everyone, going for the actuator..
Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 PM

myakkadodge, Have you put the new actuator in yet? I am having the same problems with my drivers door. I dont think mine is broken wires because I can beat on the edge of the door with my hand where the acuator bolts on and sometimes it will start working. Thanks Mark