3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Double Din in an 06

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Din in an 06

Hey guys I just got everthing together to install a kenwood dnx 5120 in my 06. I got a nav bezel,an install kit similar to a metra,two fosgate amps and all the wiring. Wondering if anyone has any helpful advice or could direct me to an appropriate link for some direction on the install and assembly/disassembly of my dash. Thanx Phil Convienant amp locations as well.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Should I have posted this one in a different forum categorie ? Thanx Phil
Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen a few post on removing the dash, can't remember where. But you could check DTR wiki. If no success there is a guy in here (ratl ratl or RatlRatl, can't rember exactly) that has posted some real detailed instructions. One time it was how to remove the dash. To much for me
Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM

DTR wiki ?
Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Yes look at the bottom of the page on the right "forum Jump, use the pulldown menu. Or this page, look at the bottom of the catagories, under General. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/
Old 07-08-2009, 03:58 PM

take out the floor console by pulling up the cup holder area...there are 3 bolts.

Pull the half closest to the seats out, then that exposes 2 more screws for the half closer to the dash. Pull that trim piece out.

Then there are 2 screws at the bottom of the dash...take those out and pull the trim panel (there is a hole or a map light in it) and pull it straight down.

That will expose 2 screws that hold the radio bezel in...you will have to look up from the floor to see them, they point up. Remove those and you can pull the radio bezel off. Just grab a corner with your fingers and pull. Dont use a screwdriver to wedge behind the bezel..you will just mess up the plastic around the dash.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Just a tip, once you remove those 2 screws, leave them out. makes for easy removal later..... the dash doesnt sqeak either....
Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 AM

Thanx guys thats the kinda info I was lookin for. I'll definitley check out wiki too. I see a plug in the firewall under the dash on the drivers side. I was thinking about drilling a slightly undersized hole in it and using it as a grommet to penetrate the cab with the 4awg wire to power my amps. Does that sound like standard procedure ? I need to install a 1 farad cap before a 400x4 Fosgate amp for the door speakers and a 300x1 Fosgate amp to feed the 1 10" sub under the rear seat. I have not purchased the sub yet but leanin towards a JL Audio stealthbox. I was also planning on bringing in a hot wire from the battery or fusebox to power a 12v Streamlight flashlight charger that I want to mount on the side of the seat rail. Is it a bad idea to run both of those wires together ? Is it a good Idea to put both those amps under the drivers seat ? This is my first real car audio install. I just dont trust anyone workin on my truck if you know what I mean. Thanx Guys much appreciated Phil
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Reviving this old thread because I have a nice double din stereo that I would like to put in my 06, but dont' know what it will take. the factory stereo in the truck is the single cd with the auxilary input. SLT truck
Old 05-28-2010, 05:50 PM

Bump.......
Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Jman believe it or not I am just finishing up my install. The truck has been sitting for a while so I procrastinated. From my experience you can two routes either way you should get the factory navigation bezel.They can be bought at dealer or ebay 100-150 bucks. I found one on CL for 75 If you want use the stock speakers and wiring just go through Crutchfield and order the adapter harness.Kinda pricey, just do it. I installed two amps and ran new wiring to the head unit ,speakers,and amps so I bypassed most stock wiring so it became quite a project. While I was in there I lined everything I could get at with dynamat wich helped quite a bit I think. You will also need a Metra install kit that is pretty cheap but well worth the money. I am working on a post to see if anyone can offer some info on fine tuning the system now that it is installed. Phil
Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 PM

I've done this on my truck. I put in a Pioneer Avix Z2 when I got the truck, and recently upgraded to the Avic Z110. I purchased the dash peice from the dealer for about $115, and everything else off ebay. Be sure to buy the more expensive C2R-CHY4 Can bus adapter that has the outputs for the VSS and reverse, it makes wiring the deck a breeze.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26

The adapter can be purchased off ebay for $75, but make sure you are getting the latest model with the current software. I just installed in the wife's Jetta, having the latest sofeware was necessary for the adapters to work with her 2009 car and the newest Poineer deck. Darn Jetta required 3 PAC interfaces to make the steering wheel audio controls work, but they were all plug and play.

I'm not thrilled with the Metra adapter in either the truck or the Jetta. The one in the truck fits well, but their inner trim ring looks unfinished. The one for the Jetta is terrible, the perimeter of the adapter is straight and the dash around it has a slight contour. It does fit, but the gaps make it look aftermarket. For the one in the truck I could fill it, sand it, and paint it. The one on the Jetta is not fixable. The international brand install kit for the truck doesn't have the separate inner trim kit, but I think it looks worse because of the contours of the kit.

During the upgrade in the truck I added a pair of amps, a pair of 10" subs, Boston Acoustics Z6 front speakers, and sound deadened the entire cab with about 130 ft^2 of material. I've done this sort of thing before, but the regular cab truck presented some challenges for amp placement. There is room under the passenger seat if you get creative with the wleder. There are some good threads on here about getting speaker wires into the doors, which is a pain the first time. Something else to consider for door speakers, there is very little height between the inner door and the door panel. I made my 6x9 to 6.5" adapters from 5/8" MDF and they were almost too thick to work. I want to make some adapters out of 1/4" aluminum, but that will have to wait for next fall when it cools off. I guess I should do a write up on my install at some point...
Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 PM

So there's really no way to do it with the factory bezel that I have, huh? It's one of those things that I would like to get done some time, but don't want to spend much on it at all!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 PM

You could chop up the bezel you have now to fit the double din, but it will probably look like crap. The dumbo ears on the factory unit are wider than the double din. There are 2006 navigation bezels on ebay starting at $80 shipped. They are the shiny painted ones from the newer truck. The gray ones that match our 2006 trucks are a few bucks more. All told with the Canbus adapter, install kit, and nav bezel you'll be spending ~$200, but it will be done right and look good.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by BroncoAZ
I've done this on my truck. I put in a Pioneer Avix Z2 when I got the truck, and recently upgraded to the Avic Z110. I purchased the dash peice from the dealer for about $115, and everything else off ebay. Be sure to buy the more expensive C2R-CHY4 Can bus adapter that has the outputs for the VSS and reverse, it makes wiring the deck a breeze.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26
Just so I know when I'm shopping, what is the 'cheaper' one, and what does the one you linked do differently?

Quick Reply: Double Din in an 06