3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Door Rattle Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Rattle Fixed!

I had the annoying door rattle in my drivers door on my 2003 3500. Dealer tried 2 or 3 times to fix it. After the last time they took the door apart, the rattle was not as bad but still there. Primarily when I drove over bumps, potholes etc. After calling them again, they offered to order in a whole new door panel but I told them I did not think it would fix the problem. I suggested they let me look at it in their shop once they took the door panel off. They agreed. Once apart, I was the first to agree there was very little behind the panel that could cause a rattle. The wiring harness for the mirrors has a felt type of insulation aound it. Hum..... After looking at the panel and all possible causes (as I was able to isolate the noise to within about 2 square inches) I ran my finger over the insulation and found the zap strap used to hold the insulation in place had not been trimmed completely. There was about a 1/4" of the cut off end sticking in straight out towards the door that line up pretty well where I said the rattle was coming from. We spun it out of the way so the zap strap sat flat and the rattle went away. Needless to say the dealer was pleased they did not order a new door panel at a cost of what they say would have cost $600. (canadian) To me the important thing is they agreed to let me look at it and now should I experience any other problems my credibility should be high. For any one else with the rattle, check out the 25 cent zap strap as this could be your problem.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:44 PM

is you rattle or noise coming from below the power windows/locks controller ??? i have a noise coming from mine there when i play the stereo and i am not even playing it that loud !! drives me crazy !!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:51 PM

I have the same problem , when playing the radio , my passenger side door rattles , seems to me like the outside door pannel (skin) is ratteling on something inside the door . If i put my hand on the outside of the door and apply a little pressure it stop`s the rattle ...
Old 01-02-2005, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a rattle in my drivers side dore that drives me nutz. No matter what I do it wont change or go away. So I just turn the radio up till I cant heare it any more.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:07 PM

Swansong, my rattle was coming from above the window control panel. It was about 3" down from the top edge of the door and pretty well lined up with the outside edge of the dash board. If you take your door panel off there really isn't too much in there that can rattle so I'd highly suggest you take the door panel off. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Brian B.
Swansong, my rattle was coming from above the window control panel. It was about 3" down from the top edge of the door and pretty well lined up with the outside edge of the dash board. If you take your door panel off there really isn't too much in there that can rattle so I'd highly suggest you take the door panel off. Good luck.
thanks , well if push down hard on the power widows/door controller it stops .. it is very annoying and very cheap sounding .. Hyundai like !!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:21 AM

OK, I should'nt admit this, but I had a rattle in the driver's door that drove me nuts with a lot of base playing. Began to hate the stereo. Pressed on everything. What I found was a small pair of scissor stuck inside a road map in the door pocket. Remove scissor no more vibration.

Pete
Old 01-05-2005, 06:04 PM

me too....

I have that rattle around the window controls too!

It happens only when the radio is playing. I think it is the window control module (the thing with all the buttons) rattling against the door. I can press on the left edge of the module and it stops. I have tried stuffing foam rubber under the module. This seemed to help for a while. But I still have the noise. I am going to stuff a little more and see what happens. A guy on this site said he put foam in there and it quit.

I am not really keen on taking it to the dealer. I figure they may break something else....

Its about time all of us with the problem came up with a fix! I am sure we will solve it some how.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:33 PM

Re: me too....

Originally posted by PapaPerk
I have that rattle around the window controls too!

It happens only when the radio is playing. I think it is the window control module (the thing with all the buttons) rattling against the door. I can press on the left edge of the module and it stops. I have tried stuffing foam rubber under the module. This seemed to help for a while. But I still have the noise. I am going to stuff a little more and see what happens. A guy on this site said he put foam in there and it quit.

I am not really keen on taking it to the dealer. I figure they may break something else....

Its about time all of us with the problem came up with a fix! I am sure we will solve it some how.
yup that is exactly what i got !!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:38 PM

Here is what I found out about all this (on my truck at least) put in a cd with alot of bass , turn it up, then shut all windows and stand outside. The door handles rattle and buzz like a **** jm02
Old 01-15-2005, 08:47 AM

my door rattle is somewhere near the door lock rod. Only on the drivers door. I'm guessing it is a clip that isn't tight but dodge can figure that out when it goes back in.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:30 PM

I have a rattle in the drivers door I just decided it’s a truck and its going to make noise. I bought the truck in May. I have noticed that the rattle started with the cold weather. It kinda makes me wish the engine wasn’t so quiet