3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Don't Lose Your Key!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dale29,
The key in the ebay site doesn't look like the stock key.
Did the one you got look different?
I imagine it's a chiped key w/o the lock buttons??
Old 01-14-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by wiskeyVI
dale29,
The key in the ebay site doesn't look like the stock key.
Did the one you got look different?
I imagine it's a chiped key w/o the lock buttons??
the ones I got were just like the one in the link. you can get fob keys but they are expensive. I ordered the spare sentry keys to always have 2 programmed keys, that way I dont have to pay the EDIT for programming.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOt all dealers rip ya off...

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
Well I lost one of my keys this morning at a house fire and the dealer was kind enough to bend me over gently for $153 for the key and $90 to program it . I told the parts guy "dude its not an IPod its a frick'n key". I just got through telling my wife not 4 days ago about this thread and that I need to get some spares made. Word to the wise, go get some spares made before you fall victim to another dealer scRAPING.
I got lucky with the dealer parts guy. After seeing this thread I immediately bought two keys off EBay for about $36 and the dealer parts guy cut them for FREE. I programmed them myself. They don't have the Ram head logo, but so far work great. I put my originals away in my firesafe and use the new ones.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:17 PM

The keys that are available on ebay are for starting the vehicle only and don't have remote lock/unlock/panic buttons.
There are remote keys (l/u/p) that are Sentry keys as well. The same programming functions apply as with the Sentry only keys. The l/u/p functions will self program when the Sentry programming is completed and will match your existing two (or more) remote keys.
The remote (l/u/p) keys can also be found on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1743&rd=1&rd=1
Hope this helps with the difference between the two key types!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Thanks!
dale29 & kokalit, the keys will start the truck and it will stay running and driveable but without the lock buttons??
Old 01-16-2007, 03:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an '05 with separate fob and sentry key

The new key for my CTD has been working fine for over a week and about 350 miles traveled, But the wife's '04 Durango has the all in one key. Will be purchasing another "sentry key" only key try to make a spare for hers. Since they are only RFID chips which has been mentioned several times here, it should work no problem. Will report back later If I am correct. I don't like the all in one key myself, too big and bulky...
Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM

Just get your new keys done then you can cut the key end off the fob and have seperates.

I didn't like the all-in-one at first but you get used to it.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Well, I got my spare key from Ebay.
Had it cut.
At first (After about a dozen times at tring to program it) I didn't think it worked.
It would start the truck, but as for unlocking the doors, the alarm goes off when the doors are unlocked with it. I found also that the factory key does the same thing.
If you lock the truck with the factory key button or with the lock button on the door, and you don't disarm the system with the keys remote unlock button, then the alarm sounds when you manually unlock the door with any key.
It shuts off with the factory fob or if you start it with the Ebay programed key.
My trucks flashing security light and audible beep does not function as it says it should in the manual while programing.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:21 PM

I went out and bought a spare FOB Key 2day from the dealership...Less than $150CAD ($125US) I don't know why they would cost more than that...I thought that was a great deal as I was quoted more than $400 for my wifes Jetta FOB from the local VW dealership.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI
a local locksmith told me he will be able to clone keys for these trucks. This will eliminate the dealer if you are down to 1 key. $45 for a cloned replacement w/o the keyless entry buttons.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 PM

I still don't know why so much the last sentry key I bought for my Jeep (same as the truck keys) was only $40CAD from the dealership, $25 for the blank and $15 for the cut and program...more than that would just be a slap in the face IMHO.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:25 PM

My 05 key is the old fashion type

I have a remote button to lock/unlock the doors on my truck. My key looks like a normal key. I had one made before I left the dealer which cost me about 5 bucks. I do not like all the bulk you get from these keys so I cut off all the black stuff and drill a hole in the top of it for my ring. I must not have all the security stuff that the rest of you have because I have not had any trouble with it.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 PM

it is the Sentry System that causes the problem.
If you use the door switch or key button, it arms the system.
If you just do as mentioned earlier in the thread, and set your locks to only unlock the drivers door when it's put in park, then ypou can exit the trk and push the button down. Then a chipped key w/o the buttons will open the door lock as it doesn't set the alarm.

I asked a dealer if they could disable the sentry System...he just gave me stink and said no.....